• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

need some .22 help i have a few technical .22 questions Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_sable stardust_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:23 PM

okay so i love to shoot .22's. they are very fun guns to shoot. however, i havnt ever been a very technical person when it comes to the high points of .22 anatomy. the bottom line is, i want to build a .22 match rifle. for serious target shooting. i think i know what i want to do, but i have some questions.

my plan was to buy a new ruger 10/22 base model. then i was going to rebuild the trigger for a light pull and match configuration. then i was going to drop it into one of these stocks

i was planning on using the legacy stock or one similar to it. the things i need to know are:

is rimfire or centerfire more accurate?
is it worth doing this?
will the gun be any good once i finish or will i have wasted my money and time?
is there a better option for a match rifle/target rifle stock? (i want to keep the adustable cheek plate and buttstop)

#2 User is offline   dougdeb 

• ________
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:KWEIMATHA

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:31 PM

My quick $0.02.....

Instead of getting the basic 10/22, spend a little more and get a 10/22T. It already has the heavy barrel and a smoother trigger. A good set of optics will all you need then. What are you going to be doing? I mean, shooting bullseye or action shooting? Many ranges have leagues or groups for both. That should determine what you are going to do to the rifle. If you are shooting bullseye, then the 10/22T setup is as good as you get.

Those are my thoughts. If you have more questions, I'll try to answer later.
Aloha, Doug
If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions,
you have failed as a paintballer.

#3 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C9H13NO3

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:31 PM

Centerfire will be more "accurate" in that there is less drop per distance. A rimfire .22 will start to drop a lot after 100 yards. Remember though, the .22 centerfire cartridges are .223, .222, etc, and will not work with the 10/22 action. Maybe you want to build up a .223 varmint/match rifle.

Building your own custom match rifle is ALWAYS worth it ;)

It will be as good as you make it. It's very possible to turn it into something great. I'd recommend taking a few gun smithing classes or watching videos to get the basics down. Also start handloading. You can make very accurate rounds that are customized to YOUR rifle.

The legacy stock looks pretty decent. An adjustable stock is probably one of the most important things to have. I'd try to find one you can quickly adjust with your left hand while staying in your shooting position for quick tweaks.

I probably wouldn't go with a rimfire configuration personally. I like shooting at longer ranges, and you'll probably find more competitions with centerfire.

#4 Guest_sable stardust_*

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:36 PM

so do i wanna go with .223? i have shot one before and it has ALOT of kick. i think the one i shot was a deer rifle though. i think i will go with the center fire as it seems to be more popular. i should be able to find more comps/ support i think.

maybe i could also go .17 hmr?

This post has been edited by sable stardust: 29 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

#5 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

dont worry bout recoil. .223 is relatively light to most rounds. You will learn to manage the recoil and get a good follow through.

#6 Guest_sable stardust_*

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:53 PM

okay im going to look into the .223. so are there as many stock options for the .223 as there are for the .22? or are they the same? i feel like a noob. i just like to plink with .22's. i have no idea about anything technical. i have been practicing alot though, and getting better, so i wanna move up to serious shooting. also i think it would be awesome to build up my own match rifle.

#7 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

My ideal match rifle would be based on the Remington 700 action.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms...fles/model_700/

The Winchester Model 70 is also a popular choice, but I haven't shot one, so I don't know how well I like it.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/cat...ry.asp?cat=001C

Then I would throw on a heavy match barrel, get a match trigger, probably a mcmillan fiberglass adjustable stock, and a scope (leupold maybe?). Scopes you don't want to go with anything low end...they can be thrown off slightly by recoil, have less than perfect optics, etc.

The best bolt action .223 I can think of off the top of my head is a Weatherby
http://www.weatherby.com/products/guns.asp...code=VSM243NR4O

This post has been edited by C9H13NO3: 29 January 2008 - 11:07 PM

#8 Guest_sable stardust_*

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

the weatherby is a little out of my budget range. plus i dont want a gun thats gonna knock off my arm. ive shot a 270 before. not what i want.

another question:

can a match rifle built on the cheap, (good parts, just not 1000$ each) stand up to more expncive competition?

#9 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

You may not be shooting National level competitions with a cheaper rig, though if you are a good enough shooter you certainly could. For local and probably regional competitions, you should be fine. IMO it's 80% shooter, 20% rifle.

#10 Guest_sable stardust_*

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:29 AM

View PostC9H13NO3, on Jan 30 2008, 12:38 AM, said:

IMO it's 80% shooter, 20% rifle.

ive always heard that exact thing. well, im looking into what i need now, and whats going to be best for me, i dont have much money. my budget is about 500 for the whole rig.

so if money was no object what would be the ideal rifle? is anshcutz worth all the hype? i hear their legendary acurate.

#11 User is offline   TheChaplain 

• solving the worlds deer population problems 290 grains at a time
  • PipPip

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:00 PM

ooohh I like the M700 VTR. lol half because I live right near the remmy factory

btw if you want a good match rifle get a bolt action. semis are somewhat less accurate because of the blowback and single shots i dont like because you cant adjust for the shots easily (you need to take the gun away from yourself to load)

theres my .02

also if money was no object i would get a psg1. lol I think you need a law enforcement type permit though...

This post has been edited by TheChaplain: 30 January 2008 - 04:04 PM

You have the right to remain silentwhatever you say can and will be misquoted then used against you

#12 Guest_sable stardust_*

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:04 PM

im thinking about using a remington .22 bolt action. instead of a ruger auto.

#13 User is offline   little_ben 

• Cowards die many times before their death
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:little_ben

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:13 PM

sry to spam ur thread, but if ur looking for a scope check my thread, im putting it in my sig in a sec.

#14 User is offline   kellts 

• OG.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kellts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

View Postlittle_ben, on Jan 30 2008, 05:13 PM, said:

sry to spam ur thread, but if ur looking for a scope check my thread, im putting it in my sig in a sec.

Here's the same one, cheaper, and brand new. I'm working on being a good samaritan, haha.

I personally wouldn't choose this scope. It's decent, but there are much, much better.

#15 User is offline   little_ben 

• Cowards die many times before their death
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:little_ben

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:47 PM

View Postkellts, on Jan 30 2008, 05:36 PM, said:

View Postlittle_ben, on Jan 30 2008, 05:13 PM, said:

Here's the same one, cheaper, and brand new. I'm working on being a good samaritan, haha.

I personally wouldn't choose this scope. It's decent, but there are much, much better.

that one is slightly different than mine, i dont know much about them, it was given to me by my uncle. but mine has a knob on top for the iluminated crosshairs.

i lowered my price too, but remember that my price is with shipping included, tack an extra 9.50 onto the price of the one on ebay.

This post has been edited by little_ben: 30 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users