Special Ops Paintball: Where did all the paintballers go? - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where did all the paintballers go? Where did all the paintballers go Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

View PostIncognito, on 11 May 2011 - 12:10 PM, said:

View PostDescartes, on 11 May 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

Perhaps this is a incorrect correlation but the poor economy coupled with the incredible boom in call of duty franchise may have taken some fringe players. This, at-least, i have found to true with some of my friends. They rather just sit around and play black ops for hours on the weekends rather than go through the hassle of transport, cost and time invested in the paintballing experience.

An excellent point. How many kids wanna go out and do physical stuff these days...? Why not live your dream life through a video game instead of doing something with physical exertion? And with the prevalence of online gaming, people can still go head to head with other people without leaving the couch. Let's face it, society is getting lazier...

Absolutely.

For me, I took time off in 2008 to save up for a family vacation in 2009.

I missed 2009 for health related reasons.

I missed half of 2010 because I was looking for a new job.

But I'm definitely back since Fall 2010, as strong as ever.

I think money is always gonna be an issue because the sport is fairly costly. And time is probably gonna be the #2. But online gaming has become a strong #3. Even me, someone dedicated to playing paintball, I've found myself really second guessing whether I wanted to load up equipment and drive over an hour to spend $150 to do something that I could do in "virtual reality" on my couch for free.

The only reason i don't buy "money" 100% is...there are tons of college players that talk about how they play alot less now that they are out of school. Last time I checked, college students are some broke a$$ dudes. So if they can play more in college than out of college, it's gotta be a "time" issue as well.

I'll probably take another year off either in 2012 or 2013, try ot save up for another family vacation. But I'd like to still do the Monster Game once a year even in those down years...just to say I got out there at least once.
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#32 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

I think the most troubling thing at this point is the lack of forum participation.

Participating in the forums is free...so it's not a money thing. 2-3 years ago, pbnation was so busy you could barely keep up with conversations. SpecOps and automags.org was boomin every single day. Now it's like a ghost town. And PBReview, one of my favorite PB sites, is virtually dead. It's still up and running, but it can't get more than 5-10 people per day.

It's as if people went from realizing that money was tight, and then rather than just putting their stuff in a closet and hanging out in the forums until finances improved, they essentially sold everything and logged out forever.
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#33 User is offline   Shadowjackal 

• Accuracy through Volume of Fire!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadowjackal

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

View Postdextonik, on 09 June 2011 - 01:59 PM, said:

I try not to think of the cost of going out and having fun. It's my only escape from the clutches of reality.

This is the exact reason I try to make it out to play at least once a month. We have a very active paintball community around here with many nice fields to play. This being said we try to play on private land as much as possible. This really cuts down on costs. Our cheapest field to play is SplatterPark - it costs $55.00 and includes a case of paint and two air fills! The only two paintball fields I will be going to this year is a scenario at Three Rivers Paintball and a game at BattleFront. Not counting gas, these trips will each be close to $100... Ouch! Last year I played a two day scenario at HellSurvivors in Michigan and then went for a weekend out to Sherwood Forest; I loved both fields, but these were expensive trips and a fairly long road trip. As much as I love to visit new fields, it just is not feasible to do very often. The only new field I will try this year is Three Rivers Paintball near Pittsburgh. Getting a group together and playing on private land is a great option for us.A day of play on private land generally costs me no more than $30.00. The local sporting goods store runs specials on paintballs- if you watch you can buy a case for $29.95; not the best, but far from the worst! (at least there not Monster Balls) My group (The Urban Guard) even hosts our own scenario events on private land three or four times a year. This is getting harder to do as land-owners are getting more wary of allowing people to use their land due to liability. Forgive me, I seem to be rambling...
Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the ONE in whom I take refuge!

Automags: Because only the best will do!

#34 User is offline   Shadowjackal 

• Accuracy through Volume of Fire!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadowjackal

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

[quote name='aslanprime' date='10 June 2011 - 01:53 PM' timestamp='1307728425' post='2553262']
I think the most troubling thing at this point is the lack of forum participation.

Very True! The people I played with had one of the largest threads on this forum for a good while. Since we expanded our scenario group we have been using a FaceBook page to discuss and coordinate the events our group attends, as well as just staying in touch. I think FB has hurt online forums a great deal... Just my (further) 2 cents...

Crap! I suck at doing quotes...

This post has been edited by Shadowjackal: 10 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the ONE in whom I take refuge!

Automags: Because only the best will do!

#35 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:chasbronson

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

View PostShadowjackal, on 10 June 2011 - 01:30 PM, said:

View Postdextonik, on 09 June 2011 - 01:59 PM, said:

I try not to think of the cost of going out and having fun. It's my only escape from the clutches of reality.

This is the exact reason I try to make it out to play at least once a month. We have a very active paintball community around here with many nice fields to play. This being said we try to play on private land as much as possible. This really cuts down on costs. Our cheapest field to play is SplatterPark - it costs $55.00 and includes a case of paint and two air fills! The only two paintball fields I will be going to this year is a scenario at Three Rivers Paintball and a game at BattleFront. Not counting gas, these trips will each be close to $100... Ouch! Last year I played a two day scenario at HellSurvivors in Michigan and then went for a weekend out to Sherwood Forest; I loved both fields, but these were expensive trips and a fairly long road trip. As much as I love to visit new fields, it just is not feasible to do very often. The only new field I will try this year is Three Rivers Paintball near Pittsburgh. Getting a group together and playing on private land is a great option for us.A day of play on private land generally costs me no more than $30.00. The local sporting goods store runs specials on paintballs- if you watch you can buy a case for $29.95; not the best, but far from the worst! (at least there not Monster Balls) My group (The Urban Guard) even hosts our own scenario events on private land three or four times a year. This is getting harder to do as land-owners are getting more wary of allowing people to use their land due to liability. Forgive me, I seem to be rambling...

Ramble on man thats' what we are here for.Paintball here has literally died.Last weekend,two players.We are going to being open once a month,just to keep it on life support.We are paying out of pocket to do it.It doesn't look very good.

#36 User is offline   alexspawn3000 

• †defender of mankind†
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:alexspawn3000

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

Well I'm getting back into the sport. I personally see that prices on everything has dropped dramatically. For example:

tippmann 98 flatline in 2005-2007= $150 now = $79.99

weaver sight raiser mounts then about $50 now $11.99 on amazon

Cheap practice paint then $40+ per case now you can get for $30 a case.

Average paintball vest then $100ish now I see vests for $59.99 at local paintball shops

I notice that prices have dropped on all the gear I used to look at. This allows me to afford more and play more. I plan to start again at least once per month, and I am getting about 7+ new players to buy gear and get going. I saw a 10-12 year old boy with his dad at sports authority the other day looking at guns to go play at the field I am going to. I think that is great. I plan to have a son one day, and I would love to be able to bond with him by playing a fun sport that I also enjoy. Unless my daughter wants to play :) which i would love to get her involved!

To conclude, yes I feel the decline paintball has had in the last few years, but I personally am making a comeback, and I am ready to bring anybody along for the ride! Paintball promotes team building, friendship, sportsmanship, competitive spirit, the list goes on. We can all contribute to the "rise" of this sport by reaching out to others and showing them the proper SAFE and fun way to play paintball. No wiping, bonus balling, ramping, etc. Just good ol milsim style recreational play.
Posted Image
"The gun doesn't MAKE the player, it ENHANCES the player!"
~AleX~

#37 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

View Postalexspawn3000, on 10 July 2011 - 07:17 PM, said:

Well I'm getting back into the sport. I personally see that prices on everything has dropped dramatically. For example:

tippmann 98 flatline in 2005-2007= $150 now = $79.99

weaver sight raiser mounts then about $50 now $11.99 on amazon

Cheap practice paint then $40+ per case now you can get for $30 a case.

Average paintball vest then $100ish now I see vests for $59.99 at local paintball shops

I notice that prices have dropped on all the gear I used to look at. This allows me to afford more and play more. I plan to start again at least once per month, and I am getting about 7+ new players to buy gear and get going. I saw a 10-12 year old boy with his dad at sports authority the other day looking at guns to go play at the field I am going to. I think that is great. I plan to have a son one day, and I would love to be able to bond with him by playing a fun sport that I also enjoy. Unless my daughter wants to play :) which i would love to get her involved!

To conclude, yes I feel the decline paintball has had in the last few years, but I personally am making a comeback, and I am ready to bring anybody along for the ride! Paintball promotes team building, friendship, sportsmanship, competitive spirit, the list goes on. We can all contribute to the "rise" of this sport by reaching out to others and showing them the proper SAFE and fun way to play paintball. No wiping, bonus balling, ramping, etc. Just good ol milsim style recreational play.

#38 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for your input.I hope your attitude of returning to paintball catches on.We could use a second wind on paintball.We got our new field up and running in time to miss the first one.We have a lot of time and money invested and are nervous about eating it.You are correct on the proper and fun way of paintball.There is a side of people in paintball ,(and life),that seem to sour the experience to others who would or who have played.That attitude hurts the sport.

#39 User is offline   XziviT 

• Mess with the Best Die like the Rest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:XziviT

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:45 PM

The simple answer is NO MONEY. Today more and more people are struggling due the economic situation and unfortunately the first things to go out of the window are fun and luxury items which are removed from the equation to suit the needs of daily life such as food, transportation, tax payments, etc... I have many friends that have not been able to play paintball and even buy a cheap marker due to the economy which pretty much leaves me by myself, I personally have no big economic problems at this time which I am very thankful for but still rough times seem to appear ahead of us in the near future so who knows what will happen. I just hope this passes by soon so we all could go ballin whithout having to worry about our wallets that much.

-X
Posted Image
Yo pertenesco al Guerrero que de lo Antiguo se fuciona a lo Nuevo. Maj. X, Callsign: Matrix
As I walk through the Valley of Shadow of Death, I shall fear no Evil, for I am the meanest Creature in the Valley. Gen. Patton

#40 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

View Postaslanprime, on 10 June 2011 - 11:53 AM, said:

Participating in the forums is free...so it's not a money thing. 2-3 years ago, pbnation was so busy you could barely keep up with conversations. SpecOps and automags.org was boomin every single day. Now it's like a ghost town. And PBReview, one of my favorite PB sites, is virtually dead. It's still up and running, but it can't get more than 5-10 people per day.

It's as if people went from realizing that money was tight, and then rather than just putting their stuff in a closet and hanging out in the forums until finances improved, they essentially sold everything and logged out forever.

A lot of people moved on or just got bored. I'm plkaying more tghan ever right now, but barely check this place any more. There's a lot of forums that have opened and taken a lot of members, or grown a lot-TechPB is new anbd booming (Sadly, because Mike is a FRAGface), and MCB is growing pretty steady too, pretty much all the cool people from SO post there now instead. PBN is still huge. And the sport's still down overall after the speed bubble burst (After people got bored of insane ROFs brought on by the fact that the dollar-to-ROF investment is lower than ever now, but they all got in because of those ROfs in the frist place, and the numbers are still up over the early 2000s when that started, so its a win).

But most people who don't own any gear have no reason to hang around anyways. And after the mod debacles a few years back, membership here is way down, the guys that weren;t outright banned got tired of certain staff treating the members like they were 12.

#41 User is offline   The Baroness 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Baroness

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:41 AM

We have seen the same thing down here in FL but thank god the main fields that we frequent have continued to keep thier doors open even if that means we attend an event there maybe twice a year...we are fortunate enough to know of teams that have the same desire to attend events on a monthly basis so we do get to see many of our paintball friends throughout the year. The promotors are also great at putting together awesome games and with social networking sites like facebook and twitter we have been able to reach out to all kinds of people showing them how great paintball is...money is always going to be an issue for many people, I am apart of a team that helps each other in whatever way can to ensure that each of us can attend games but I guess I am one of the lucky ones...I hope that it does get better and more people can see why we love it so much.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.”
CONTRACTED MURDER, DEATH, KILLER
TEAM ON TARGET

#42 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

Update : things in our area are not looking any better.Its hard to get enough interest for a once a month battle at our field.It is really disappointing.The squirrels and wildlife appreciate the nice castles and bunkers though I'm sure.We are next to just closing it all down.The net and field upkeep,the portapotty and all is just not worth it.

#43 User is offline   Chewy-BC 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:12 AM

wow things sound bad in the states. here in Canada were lucky to see paint go as low as $80 a case and at my home field it is $180 a case + a field fee of $10-$20. Gun owners count for about %10 of the population at our fields and the rest is renters who will pay whatever you tell them and only come back once or twice in their life.

#44 User is offline   vargg 

• giggidy giggidy giggidy goo
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:vargg

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

i myself am stockin up in bullets/firearms, silver and other prepper stuff i love paintball but this economy is gettin scary. hard to spend 500 hundred dollars at a scenario like i used to

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users