Special Ops Paintball: Let's see what most people think. - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Let's see what most people think. Vote! Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Most effective sniper position. (126 member(s) have cast votes)

Most effective sniper position.

1. Ambush sniper (57 votes [38.00%])

Percentage of vote: 38.00%

2. Ghost flanker (84 votes [56.00%])

Percentage of vote: 56.00%

3. Longbow sniper (9 votes [6.00%])

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   naterab 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:naterab

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:33 PM

What do you people believe is the most successful and effective sniper position. I have an opinion, and personally I think the ghost flanker is the most effective. Every single game the ghost flanker position can be effective. Any situation it is useful. It's sometimes not practical to be an ambush sniper, and the longbow sniper just wastes time when he could be suppressing or doing something more useful. Not saying that these positions are bad, as I sometimes become an ambush sniper too. I think of ghost flanking as being the most useful for the team, though. I like to argue so please give an opinion.
If you are a christian paintballer put this in your sig.
Liberalism=Communism
Sabre #777

#2 User is offline   toxic t0ast 

• If I cant dance, I dont want to be apart of your revolution.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:french t0ast

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:38 PM

Sorry, I guess im not up-to-date on the trendy terms, could you explain them to me?
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->Representing the Hate five oh! (850-Ska-core)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/thespanx" target="_blank">The Spanx (Our folk/indie band)</a></div>
<div align="center"></div>

#3 User is offline   naterab 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:42 PM

Sure. Ambush sniper is waiting stealthy to ambush a group of people. Ghost flankers stealthily move to a fire fight and move to the sides unseen and fire on the weak spots, longbow snipers fire from loooong range. Not exact terms but you should get the idea.
Liberalism=Communism
Sabre #777

#4 User is offline   Spike21 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPIKE21

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

Define "effective".

#5 User is offline   naterab 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

More helpful to the team.
Liberalism=Communism
Sabre #777

#6 User is offline   SFC. Connell 

• *Extreme Strategist*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SFC. Connell

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

I think ambush because in an ambush I feel as though you have a greater effectiveness due to the fact the ambush is a surprise. If you can catch the team off guard then you have a greater chance of hitting them. Whereas, a ghost flanker, yeah its a really good position/tactic. you have a greater chance of being seen and hit then if your laying still waiting to spring an ambush. And for the longbow...what are the chances in a paintball game that you are going to hit someone from looong range. when you shoot at a long range your accuracy decrease, and not only that, you also now are giving away your position to other players on the field. These are the reasons why I think the ambush sniper is a more effective JUNK./tactic.
Feedback

She faked a funeral so people would come visit?
ROFLMAO That's both terrible and hilarious at the same time.-Pirate

#7 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

sorry, and not to start a flame war..but you asked my Opinion...."The most affective Sniper, is a dead sniper"...yes thats one of My paintball quotes...and yes i Believe it :laugh:...I have killed way to many Snipers with a Pistol for them to have my Respect
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

I use a combination of all 3 of those. A paintball sniper should be very versatile

#9 User is offline   Explosive 

• Sabre/Sneaking Guy for Xtreme Fanatics
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-XF-Explosive

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

View PostT-Freak, on Jun 2 2008, 07:09 PM, said:

sorry, and not to start a flame war..but you asked my Opinion...."The most affective Sniper, is a dead sniper"...yes thats one of My paintball quotes...and yes i Believe it :P...I have killed way to many Snipers with a Pistol for them to have my Respect

I think the term "sniper" should be "earned"...too many first time players buying 20" barrels and putting on ghillie suits, then not being an effective player. I can see where
a skillful player who eliminates a lot of unskilled players has room to bash on the entire Sniper Nation.
:blink: :P

as for your quotes...unimpressed. as far as killing...doubt you've ever....ah never mind.

as for having your respect, none required...

:) ;)

I voted Ghost Flanker.

using a higher level of camouflage, stealth is a plus when covertly attack the opposition.

I'm not much of sitting in one area of the field and waiting for activity (Ambush style).
Though I do like to move up on the opposition, then sit and patiently wait for opportunities
to shoot then disappear back into the woods.

Low crawling 2-4 hours for a general kill would drive me insane, so "sniping" main targets
isn't my thing. If I'm fortunate enough to sneak up on the oppositions base and take shots on key targets
then great!

#10 User is offline   Mudbucket 

• Shigiddywhat?
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mudbucket

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

A very versatile sniper is a great asset to his team but as far as all around "best" I would have to vote for the Ambush.
Being able to have only one person secure a flank is incredibly useful in a game. The ability of the sniper to slow down and confuse, if not completely route, an entire enemy offensive force is invaluable in a heated match of woodsball.
Also some would say that Ambush sniper takes the highest amount of skill to perform effectively. Of course all sniper positions have their own skill sets that need to be honed and polished before you can actually be a "good" sniper. But at least when your a ghost flanker you have your team to count on. And when you're a Longbow sniper you are very gear dependent (true it does take a lot of practice to get to the degree of accuracy that is needed to qualify as a Longbow). But when you are in the ambush position you ave to have nerves of steel as the enemy is sometimes inches from you. Also you need to know how to set up the ambush properly and the right moment to engage and disengage the enemy force. But the most important factor is that you have no one to watch your six or provide covering fire. You are often out gunned and outnumbered. But seldom outclassed.
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result.” - Sir Winston Churchill

“Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever. ” - Baron Munchausen

#11 User is offline   naterab 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:35 PM

good arguement mudbucket and well defended. one of the reasons i chose ghost flanker is because sometimes its not practical to set an ambush. if you're playing a pickup game and its say, 4 on 4, its not always practical to set an ambush, for even while lowcrawling to stalk people you may not see anyone the whole game. for big games, the chances of seeing someone are higher so the ambush tactic is more effective. comes down to your ability to adapt. still looking at the ghost flanker tho, in a large game , a good ghost flanker will be effictively able to come to the side of an enemy. its an ambush in itself really if you think about it. it allows the team to gain ground with less loss of people, which in a scenario can be great. in a big game it would be hard to choose for me, because a mobile ambusher can create so much havoc among the team. i believe it all comes down to adaptability.

This post has been edited by naterab: 03 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

Liberalism=Communism
Sabre #777

#12 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:41 AM

I agree with naterab. I have a guy who likes to play sniper, and he usually ends up walking off the field at the end of the game having never fired a shot. We usually don't have more than 8-12 players total, so the chances of finding a target are slim. On the other hand, using your team as a distraction and having one person flank is particularly effective. As for the longball... Waste of paint.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#13 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:47 AM

View Postnaterab, on Jun 2 2008, 05:33 PM, said:

What do you people believe is the most successful and effective sniper position. I have an opinion, and personally I think the ghost flanker is the most effective. Every single game the ghost flanker position can be effective. Any situation it is useful. It's sometimes not practical to be an ambush sniper, and the longbow sniper just wastes time when he could be suppressing or doing something more useful. Not saying that these positions are bad, as I sometimes become an ambush sniper too. I think of ghost flanking as being the most useful for the team, though. I like to argue so please give an opinion.

I think this is one of the reasons the sniper role faces so much opposition...a sniper should be fielded when it is practical to the situation or game. A football punter isn't fielded on every play or down.

View PostExplosive, on Jun 3 2008, 01:44 PM, said:

View PostT-Freak, on Jun 2 2008, 07:09 PM, said:

sorry, and not to start a flame war..but you asked my Opinion...."The most affective Sniper, is a dead sniper"...yes thats one of My paintball quotes...and yes i Believe it :P ...I have killed way to many Snipers with a Pistol for them to have my Respect

I think the term "sniper" should be "earned"...too many first time players buying 20" barrels and putting on ghillie suits, then not being an effective player. I can see where
a skillful player who eliminates a lot of unskilled players has room to bash on the entire Sniper Nation. :dry: :P

as for your quotes...unimpressed. as far as killing...doubt you've ever....ah never mind.

as for having your respect, none required...

:) ;)

I voted Ghost Flanker.

using a higher level of camouflage, stealth is a plus when covertly attack the opposition.

I'm not much of sitting in one area of the field and waiting for activity (Ambush style).
Though I do like to move up on the opposition, then sit and patiently wait for opportunities
to shoot then disappear back into the woods.

Low crawling 2-4 hours for a general kill would drive me insane, so "sniping" main targets
isn't my thing. If I'm fortunate enough to sneak up on the oppositions base and take shots on key targets
then great!

If the sniper role is a position that should be "earned", then shouldn't it be that way for every position? How many people here have actually "qualified" or "certified" to play the "position" they gravitate to? Not many I would guess.

As for my opinion as to which sniping is best, my answer is the same as it is to fielding any sniper in the first place...it's a situational decision. Keep all your options open until you need to make a decision, and then make the best decision you can based upon what you know about the situation you are faced with. Will your decision be absolutely correct? Probably not...you just have to make better decisions than your opponent. As Al Davis, former owner of the then Oakland Raiders used to say, "Just win, baby! Just win!" ;)

The minute you lock yourself into something, you become predictable. When the opposition knows your moves before you make them, you are defeated.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Explosive 

• Sabre/Sneaking Guy for Xtreme Fanatics
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-XF-Explosive

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

View PostWarpaint, on Jun 4 2008, 11:47 AM, said:

If the sniper role is a position that should be "earned", then shouldn't it be that way for every position? How many people here have actually "qualified" or "certified" to play the "position" they gravitate to? Not many I would guess.

Oh so true...and it should be that way for every "titled" position!!!

I guess what my point was, have some experience, developed skills etc in order to "earn" being known as a "sniper" (dagger, sabre etc etc.)

...T-Freak was saying he's shot a lot of "snipers" & has no respect for them.
So you have a player with new skills, or very little skills dawn a ghillie suit
and is instantly a sniper without being true to the craft.

so yep, it should be a earned title...and of course along those lines a higher level of respect is earned for the position.

I'm all for new players wanting to wear a ghillie and play a role in the game of paintball.
I actually like to give pointers to them and teach 'em when I can. I can spot new "snipers" immediately...lol

I just see quite a few players celebrate eliminating a player wearing a ghillie suit and say all "snipers" suck.
It gets a bit annoying...it's like a match with a pro MMA fighter against a highschool boxer. Then the MMA fighter
says he has no respect for boxers (cause you know the pro MMA is gonna win!) :laugh:

of course there's the argument to why there's even titled positions, but hey IT'S FUN! Paintball is FUN!
if I want to wear a ghillie, sneak around and pop your arss...IT'S FUN!!!

:D :D

#15 User is offline   125blackfire 

• Stock Class
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:125blackfire

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

i like ghost flanker :D i want too be one for speed ball (or type). I'm not sure can anyone go in depth with with ghost flanker? i understand the common basics but what type of equipment do you this use?
The black of the shadows will hide the awesome fire power of 1BPS about hit you!
http://www.cbf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homev3

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users