• You cannot reply to this topic

To the "Walk it Off" crowd Pain not related to getting eliminated

#1 User is offline   fastlearner 

• Are you Ready?
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:fastlearner

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:05 PM

I origionally posted this on x7og.net but I realized that this needs to be posted everywhere..

Fastlearner x7og.net7 said:

At the fields I play at, injured players call for a local ref. The ref calls for the field EMT on the ref channel. The EMT can be a player or a dedicated staff.

I have some words of caution though for the "walk it off" crowd.

Pain has only two meanings:
  • Somethings wrong
  • It didn't kill you
SOMETHING IS WRONG:
That's what pain is for. It's to tell you that something is wrong. Stop to evaluate it. Are there other signs or symptoms associated something being physically wrong? Does something "not work"? Is there "grinding" or other sensations? Does something work in a way that are not intended?

I say this as too many of my friends and my father comes from the "walk it off" mentality. They all have joint failure (bone on bone no cartlidge left) most need one or more artificial joints. Do you want to win this one game or want to enjoy additional years of play with friends and family? Yes it's just a scratch but will it become infected. Will it need an antibiotic that cost so much, you could have bought a case of tourney paint?
It didn't kill you (yet)
Pain means that what ever system was affected did not imeadiately disrupt the flow of blood to your brain. Do you feel tired, weak, or faint with the onset of pain? Are you short of breath? Is the pain going away despite the sensation that something is VERY wrong? Fathers Day 2007 Brewtt of Lapco Paintball forum did CPR on a dad in front of his son. They didn't get him back.
Last but not least accidents happen. Player/medics willingly give up much needed "play" time to volunteer a hand. Don't make them work any harder by ignoring your body or playing in an unsafe manner...

PleasePosted Image

Posted Image
Gee where'd this soap box come from?
;)

Play Safe, Play Fair, Play hard

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life." Teddy Roosevelt

#2 User is offline   left handed 

• Arms Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:left handed

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

I have a "Walk it off" mentality, but if the pain persists or if the pain is intense, I know there's something seriously wrong.
Speedball has nothing to do with how fast you shoot and everything to do with how fast you move. - Crawdaddy (PBF)

Feedback!

#3 User is offline   Pandemonium 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Pandemonium

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:19 PM

walk it off if it isn't persistant. if it is, say something. i didn't say anything about my shoulder for 2 years, and now I have tendenitis in both of them(now its almost gone ;) )

#4 User is offline   left handed 

• Arms Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:55 PM

When it was football season, I made this great hit on the middle linebacker who was their 1st string QB. I hit him correctly but I still felt a tingly feeling all over my body, I saw stars, blacked out for less than 1/2 a sec in mid air, and had a pain in my neck. But the pain was only for a day and I have no residual headache or vision/hearing loss so I'm good.
Speedball has nothing to do with how fast you shoot and everything to do with how fast you move. - Crawdaddy (PBF)

Feedback!

#5 User is offline   Sniper Hunter19 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

yea i was hit by a d pole in lacrosse and i couldnt feel my arm or even lift a wendys bag but i didnt whine and it went away in a few days and every day i went to practice no matter how my shoulder felt so unless it really could kill u walk it off and if u need to stay out and go home or maybe to the doctor if u feel the need

#6 User is offline   Ravenlord 

• I am heavy weapons guy!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:RAVENLORD

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

I walk it off when it is a scratch or something like that. I see no need in worring about something like a bruise or a scratch. I do howwever see a point in worring about something swelling or limbs twisted in a way they should not.

Pain really has 3 deffinitions.
Something is wrong: when something hurts and will not stop hurting.
It could have been worse: when you get hit in the shoulder and it hurts for a few seconds.
Weakness leaving the body: this is the burn you feel after a long workout, or the muscle stiffness after a full day paintball. It hurts yes but it is not bad for you.
Funny Signatures Involve Effort, and I am lazy.
Automaggot #74
Team Vinidication

#7 User is offline   tnert 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:tnert

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

i usuall have a walk it off attitude but there are some times when i really hurt myself when i abandon this attitude like when i tripped on a scrap piece of board in chop class and fractured my coller bone. my head hit a metal table(apperently my head hit the table the rest of my force was diverted into my right collerbone) and i woke up after from what i heard from other people about 3 seconds later. i tried pushing myself up with that hurt arm and i felt the block of pain and im still tryin to figure out what happened i didnt recall what happened till about 8 mins later it didnt heal fully for 4 WEEKS!, that sucked right in the middle of football season 2!

if we cant do it. it doesent need to be done
official sabre #132
Team Evasive Action
my amazing sponser pbsports.com

#8 User is offline   JKLNHYD 

• OG Newb...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:15 PM

My work is very challenging as far as getting into and maintaining unnatural position situations for a very long time. Anyway, for about 2 months i have had tingling in my forearms when I lean on something, my fingers are numb when i wake up, i can not move my neck very far in any direction, there is intense pain when I move quickly, lift anything, kneal, etc.

Anyway, again, on Tuesday I am working and suddenly this cable swings down and wacks me in the face. In my split second reaction, I turn my head and hear my neck and upper back spine crack like bubble wrap. the pain took me to my knees and I got very light headed. this all happened in seconds. When I got up, I felt incredible! No pain, full rotation of my head, everything.

I feel like a 45 year old man again!
My senior member list, Pm me if you think you should be on it. PUZUMA Tyler MurderDeathKill Animal Mother BlackOpsghost Evil Finger Uwannago Weapso Tyger Dr. Wiggy The Stuntman Cops911 Riddick Twistedpsyche Custom Cowboy CamoDeafie Redleg64 ClumsyNinja DigitalPirate Slinkyaroo The Dirty Samurai Neo Enhander AirHOg shadow 772 LONGBOW deltapaintball Styro shadowlord Gunslinger7 Enders War Prodigy evillepaintball Deus Wolf Rifleman ghost93 luke-inator
My New Homie List. PM me
agentM192 nos4atu florentine PhantomAssassin thebostinian T-Freak Ka1iBuR StealingYerMail Not You
My Profile Friend's List, who wants on?
"Calm you down? Done. Enjoy your vacation."- PuzumaClick the link

#9 User is offline   left handed 

• Arms Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:50 PM

Haha! ^

That's great, nothing like cracking a few stiff joints. :dodgy:

Feedback!

#10 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DavidP1013

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:58 PM

If somethings not swollen, bent like it shouldn't be, or bleeding profusely I'm usually pretty good and adhere to the walk it off train of thought.

This post has been edited by Prodigy: 20 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

Team Krisis
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there...your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it..

How the hell could you stop me? Why in the world would you try? I go hard forever that's just how I'm designed, that's just how I was built.

#11 User is offline   tomcatsharpshooter 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:tomcatsharpshooter

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

I once pulled both hamstrings and went and played tackle football for hours

pain is just weakness leaving the body

#12 User is offline   JKLNHYD 

• OG Newb...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:33 PM

View Posttomcatsharpshooter, on Dec 20 2007, 08:04 PM, said:

I once pulled both hamstrings and went and played tackle football for hours

pain is just weakness leaving the body

You, my friend, are SPARTA!
My senior member list, Pm me if you think you should be on it. PUZUMA Tyler MurderDeathKill Animal Mother BlackOpsghost Evil Finger Uwannago Weapso Tyger Dr. Wiggy The Stuntman Cops911 Riddick Twistedpsyche Custom Cowboy CamoDeafie Redleg64 ClumsyNinja DigitalPirate Slinkyaroo The Dirty Samurai Neo Enhander AirHOg shadow 772 LONGBOW deltapaintball Styro shadowlord Gunslinger7 Enders War Prodigy evillepaintball Deus Wolf Rifleman ghost93 luke-inator
My New Homie List. PM me
agentM192 nos4atu florentine PhantomAssassin thebostinian T-Freak Ka1iBuR StealingYerMail Not You

#13 User is offline   fastlearner 

• Are you Ready?
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:fastlearner

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

While I realize that I may be throwing pearls before swine, I am 3 weeks away from my 40th b-day.

My father will be 65 this year. He regrets working "harder not smarter". Both of his knees have been replaced. His right shoulder has been reconstrcted but it is still so painfull that he cannot fall asleep without heavy medication. He has rods and pins to hold his lower back together but changing the spark plugs on his car renders him unable to drive for 2 days because sitting provokes his back pain.

I have two other friends that are each one more back injury away from a wheelchair and they are both way under 40.

A former member of NPPL team "Brimstone Smoke" walks like he's older than me due to cummulative knee damage playing Super7

Fastlearner a5og.net said:

Clarification...
I'm saying use good judgment. Many people "play through the pain" to "help the team" get the win.

Examples:
  • Someone "torks" their knee and continues to play despite the pain. The reality is that they have some simple damage that only needs some rest until their personal Dr can see it, but they then shred the knee by continuing to "play through" for the team win. Now major surgery is needed to repair it. Instead of having a buddy or a player medic help them "hop off" the field and get some ice they continue the injury process until the knee "blows out".
  • "Field dressings" are for "gushing blood" go get stitches or "call an ambulance" spurting arterial bleed. However simple cuts need to leave the field just the same, not slap a bandaid and carry on. The cuts need to be cleaned first then bandaged. The player can return to play if not too deep or other conscerns arise.
  • We had a player, at the last scenario I attended, who tripped and split his knee open on a muddy rock. A friend helped him back to the camp ground. The crew irrigated the wound then bandaged it and called his mom. She picked him up and took him to the local urgent center 1/2 hour away. The doctor stated that if the wound hadn't been cleaned before transport it most certainly would need antibiotics. Instead he got stitches and "neosporin". 1 week no paintball then back in the game as if it never happened.
  • Last one promise... Player notices a team mate not drinking like he should. The teammate gets a little "scatterbrained" during play but is so good he's not eliminated despite his loss of focus. He refuses to "Take a break" because he feels he's needed to help hold an objective. "I'll just tough it out" he says. 1/2hour later he collapses unconscious from heat stroke and dehydration. Now he has to be hauled off the field by "litter", transported by ambulance, evaluated in an ER, and possibly spend a night on a Med-Surg floor for observation. Total cost if he had taken an hour break ... ~$20 for gatorade and food. But nooo he plays on and now an ambulance $200-$450, ER >$300, Night at the lowest level of hospital care >$500 night
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on hospital prices. Our ambulance charges $350 if they do nothing. $450 of they so much as start one IV

Play Safe, Play Fair, Play hard

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life." Teddy Roosevelt

#14 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DavidP1013

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:52 PM

I can attest to the get stitches part. I had to get stitches because I slid into a bunker and ripped my knee pretty good on a stick. This I didn't walk off because of the whole bleeding profusely stipulation I have.
Team Krisis
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there...your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it..

How the hell could you stop me? Why in the world would you try? I go hard forever that's just how I'm designed, that's just how I was built.

#15 User is offline   JKLNHYD 

• OG Newb...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:57 PM

Your body makes more blood, man, c'mon, you could win!
My New Homie List. PM me

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users