• You cannot reply to this topic

Which stock should I get? Need a hand here... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:48 PM

I have been looking for a stock for my x7 phenom for a while. Id like to know which is more preferred, a folding stock, a sliding stock, or an air thru stock. I have been eyeing the trinity sliding stock, mostly because of where the sling mount on it is located. I also like the assault stock that tippmann makes that folds and is adjustable. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#2 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

View PostCuy'val Dar, on 28 July 2011 - 03:48 PM, said:

I have been looking for a stock for my x7 phenom for a while. Id like to know which is more preferred, a folding stock, a sliding stock, or an air thru stock. I have been eyeing the trinity sliding stock, mostly because of where the sling mount on it is located. I also like the assault stock that tippmann makes that folds and is adjustable. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Preference will vary by individual. I would recommend against an air through stock or any solid stock or stock that is only collapseable. In real world stocks are absolutely a necessity to stabalize the weapon for shooting at longer ranges with higher precision. In paintball stocks are just a comfort thing, they can also help you maintain a solid aimpoint while on the move which is nice but they're never NEEDED as much. Basically real world weapons need to be longer to achieve longer ranges paintguns are limited to approximately the same range no matter how long you make them. So if you use solid stocks or stocks that only collapse, what you're doing is sacrificing a great deal of manuverability for nothing.

If you like using a stock for comfort and other benefits that they offer in paintball, a folding or FULLY collapseable (MP5 style) stock is absolutely the way to go. Gives you all the advantages a stock can offer in paintball and still allows you to forgoe them in favor of manuverability whenever necessary.

Unless you're only interested in looks, and you think they look cool, I would avoid the hell out of a solid stock of any kind. And collapseable stocks (M4 style) even when fully collapsed, still significantly increase the length of your gun with no ability to fold out of the way and all while offering limited benefits.

The sad thing is that no one seems to make a really good PAINTBALL stock. Everyone is just obsessed with mimicing real world stocks that aren't necessarily beneficial at all in paintball. Only a few have even tried designing stocks focused solely on paintball performance (spec ops' old dogleg stock for example), so few have tried in fact that no one has perfected it yet.

A good paintball stock would always be either fully collapseable or a folder AND would incorporate a large mask well (the opposite of cheek rest). The dog leg was a decent idea, but they should have diverted the stock DOWN instead of to the side, that way it would be ambidextrous, wouldn't need to make different versions for the left and right handed. Also it was a solid stock (bad juju in paintball), and no folding version was ever released. So a good concept but not that great execution.

Anyway, all that said I would recommend that Warsensor folding stock that Paintman101 has, you saw the pic in the Mag Feed Kit thread. Kicks ass cause you can remove the top rail like he did to accomodate your mask, PLUS it folds to the left side of the gun which means it won't block your access to the mag release button on the mag kit, or accidently hit it for that matter, when folded. The folding/collapseable stock from Tippmann seems cool I like that you can adjust the lenth to your exact fit and then fold it, but I think it folds to the right which means it might go ahead and take it upon itself to eject your magazine for you anytime you fold it haha! Also no mask well for aiming so probably not the best. Those MP5 style sliding stocks might be great, the fully collapse so you've got manuverability, and it looks like the slider is usually mounted low, which might accomodate your mask when aiming.

I would say to go with either the Warsensor folding stock or the MP5 style slider IMO. Oh yeah, and if you get a folding stock you need to attack the sling at the base of the stock where it connects to the gun. If you attach the sling the rear of the stock near the butplate where you shoulder it, it will get all screwy when you fold the stock over...
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

I was leaning away from anything air thru because I don't need the use of a stock all of the time. It's more of a comfort thing for me.

This post has been edited by Cuy'val Dar : 28 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#4 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

The only time I ever use a stock is when I run a remote line, ergo I always use an air-thru stock. Otherwise I just used the air tank like on a speedball setup. Real world stocks are used to manage the recoil of a small explosion ejecting a bullet at really high speeds. Paintball markers don't generate such forces, meaning stocks are a "look" feature, maybe comfort, than actually functional. Sometime when I play a longer scenario game, I prefer to keep my tank in my vest rather than carry it around all day on my gun, and that's where an air-thru stock and remote line work wonders.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#5 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

Stocks are either a comfort item that varies by the player or they are a part used to complete a project. Since yours will be a comfort item take a look at your needs. You already stated you do not want air-thru. What about other needs? Do you want to keep switching between the stock end cap or do you want it on there permanently? If you don't mind constant part change outs based on the type of play get a fixed stock or collapsible stock you are comfortable with. If it is something you want on permanently then look into the folding collapsible stocks or an MP5 style sliding stock.

#6 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

The air through stock was SUPER convenient whenever I used my A5. Really does help with the ergonomics and balanace of the marker, even though you'd think it wouldn't. I also had a sliding stock, but it was uncomfortable if I had the air attached to the marker, and just felt/looked weird if I attached the remote line to there. I have never been a fan of folding stocks. Don't see the point, unless maybe your a big CQB kinda guy.

#7 User is offline   RatDragon 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:52 PM

The Killjoy Industries ROC Stock is a very good, but very expensive stock for paintball. Collapsible, able to be set up for right or left handed use, and it allows you to get your head behind the marker.
"A Player's Personal Preference is what determines what he/she wants on a Marker, not what other people think that the Player should have on the marker." EvilFingers

#8 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

whoa, that's sweet! It's like an all-metal collapsible Dogleg stock! It wouldn't be hard to jerry-rig an air fitting and tubing to make it more like an air-thru stock.....
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#9 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:00 AM

Meh, that looks alright.

I like how it makes room for the mask, that it's fully collapseable and it looks like REALLY solid construction.

But I don't like how it shifts the stock to the SIDE to make room for the mask:
That widens the profile of the marker which in a game where line of sight is a factor is a big no no. If you know the tactic, you can kiss cutting the corners goodbye with this thing. But then if you're a righty running a hopper especially the cyclone on the A-5/X-7 that doesn't really matter. Because the stock is shifted to the right where there's already a giant hopper hanging off the gun, so it won't make any difference. But if you're a LEFTY with a cyclone this is epic fail. Now you've got cyclone adding like 3 inches of width to the gun on the right AND this stock adding three inches of width to gun on the left. It's about as streamlined as a brick. I'm going to be running a mag kit on my A-5 I won't have a cyclone hanging off the side of the gun. So for me it would make a difference to run this stock to the right. So that feature is the kiss of death for this stock in my book, I won't be picking it up even if I could find it at a reasonable price.

And I don't like how the butstock at the end is mounted offset from the rest of the marker, that's just GOT to be awkward to handle. And even with the extended mounting plate that does shift the buttplate back over to the center, that looks like it would just be a really wide butplate. That would feel weird too. Not as bad mind you. And its good that they included some means of getting that buttplate back to the center where it belongs. But it just falls short.

Like I said the only GOOD way to accomodate the mask is to either make a mask well in the stock or shift the stock DOWN instead of to either side. With rails of the stock shifted down a stock is INHERENTLY AMBIDEXTROUS. Meaning no need for seperate versions for lefty's and righty's, no need to make it reversible, it just works for either stance the way it is. And it doesn't widen the profile of the marker. So you can peek around corners better. Which is why this stock isn't so great.

BUT!

I do have to respect the makers and kinda give them props on this one. It certainly isn't as good as paintball stock could be, but at least it's one more of an atrociously rare breed of stocks that are actually designed to WORK well for paintball. Instead of LOOK cool and like a real gun. I don't really care if people want to make their paintball guns look like real guns, that's fine. But to put stuff on your gun, or make stuff for peoples guns that actually doesn't work very well (if at all) for paintball just because it looks real is ridiculous. Seriously? Making your gun suck to use, just to make it cool to look at? I don't get it. C'mon milsim manufacturers, by all means make stuff that looks like parts off real guns, but make them WORK for paintball as best you can while you're at it. You'd think that'd be a given.

All things considered: The folding warsensor with the upper rail removed (someone posted earlier), still epic wins. It folds so you get all the benefits of having a stock and not having one, whenever you need either. It works great left or right handed. It doesn't make the gun wider. At it accomodates the paintball mask effectively.

This post has been edited by Shipwreck!: 07 August 2011 - 03:09 AM

"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users