• You cannot reply to this topic

HPA tank slow leak? I'm pretty sure... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   HOUND1 

• VVVCheese Its!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:AMRAAM11

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

Im pretty sure my 68/45 HPA tank has a slow leak, because whenever I get it filled all the way, I pick it up to use it in a few days and its down to below 3900 (the guy at my shop fills to about 4300). But the thing is the pressure changes so slowly and without noise that I can't really figure out for sure if it really is leaking. Is there something that could be happening other than a leak? either way, what should I do?

This post has been edited by HOUND1: 26 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   UWANNAGO 

• Im kind of a big deal, people know me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:UWANNAGO

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

Take it to your shop and have him replace the orings...

Or if you feel comfortable doing it yourself I can tell you how to do it but involves taking apart the regulator.

#3 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

Flash filling heats up the tank. Once the tank cools down the pressure in the tank drops.

A 400 psi drop is not unusual.

Try chilling the tank in ice prior to filling, then chill it right after the fill for 10 minutes and fill again. This will give you a true fill and then you can monitor the pressure to detirmin if you are realy losing air or just having the psi balance out after a flash fill.

#4 User is offline   Ecellg 

• Landing gear 25' from plane.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ecellg

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:28 PM

That sounds pretty normal, but if you want to check, you can dunk the reg in water and look for bubbles. If there are bubbles it means there is a slow leak. If not, you're good.
FULDA GAP 2009
Serving In The:
U.S. 3rd Mechanized Infantry Division/3rd Brigade 3-22 Infantry
NATO WILL Be Victorious This Next Year

#5 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:49 PM

View PostEcellg, on May 26 2010, 07:28 PM, said:

That sounds pretty normal, but if you want to check, you can dunk the reg in water and look for bubbles. If there are bubbles it means there is a slow leak. If not, you're good.

exactly...Do this.

It's like Krazy said, they flash filled your tank, which heated the air up a lot. Which in turn increases pressure as the air expands from the heat. Then when the air cools down, pressure drops. To properly fill an HPA tank you are supposed to fill 1000 PSI a minute, no faster. I have NEVER found a field or shop to do that, they all just flash fill it in under a minute...cause filling 4500 PSI would technically take 4.5 minutes, and who wants to wait that long...

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#6 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:54 PM

View PostLegato, on May 27 2010, 02:49 AM, said:

View PostEcellg, on May 26 2010, 07:28 PM, said:

exactly...Do this.

It's like Krazy said, they flash filled your tank, which heated the air up a lot. Which in turn increases pressure as the air expands from the heat. Then when the air cools down, pressure drops. To properly fill an HPA tank you are supposed to fill 1000 PSI a minute, no faster. I have NEVER found a field or shop to do that, they all just flash fill it in under a minute...cause filling 4500 PSI would technically take 4.5 minutes, and who wants to wait that long...

Not only would people not want to want that long to get their own tank filled, it would take FOREVER to even get a game started waiting for everyone to fill. So it's understandable why they do this...

This post has been edited by blackcelldrumr15: 26 May 2010 - 11:55 PM

Posted Image
Facebook - Group: Banned #18
PMR - P90 Ion FOR SALE - System X Sniper

#7 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:01 AM

Oh i whole heartedly agree. Lines at the field would be uber long. But it is safest that way. Technically flash filling is not good for the tank as it heats it up quite a lot.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#8 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:42 AM

I am willing to place *digs in pockets* two bits on it being filled too fast. Happens to me all the time.

#9 User is offline   HOUND1 

• VVVCheese Its!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:AMRAAM11

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

alright thanks guys, I'm shooting a Mag so I need all the air I can get :( I'll have the guy at my shop fill it up a little more slowly.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users