• You cannot reply to this topic

Paintball Snipers What makes you a true paintball sniper Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:16 PM

For anyone that is a sniper always here's the insulting "In paintball, there is no thing as a sniper". I'm going to try and set it straight and prove that the community of paintball snipers exist and are thriving. The primary thing in the real world military that sets a sniper apart from the guy with a scoped rifle (designated marksman) is field craft and the gillie suite that provides highly effective concealment. I will say that shooting from a concealed area is a gray area with it but real snipers can hide in an open area concealed by the gillie suit. The web dog radio radio episode was decent yet didn't go that deep into what being a paintball sniper is about.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Soe-fbP17VY

Paintball snipers by nature need to have a major seance on endurance especially if your an extreme sniper if an actual gillie suite. Filed craft is the use of a gillie suite and being able to use natural vegetation in the gillie suite to enhance concealment wile creeping with in range of their target. Snipers do mostly provide real time recon but when called upon, they wreak havoc on the enemy but picking off commanders and key personnel or random terror tactics such as picking off enemy troops at random. It is a major psychological impact to see your friend shot right in front of you regardless if it's in paintball or actual combat.
JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#2 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:20 PM

1. Ghillie not Gille
2. Sense not Seance
3. Get a spell check bud, not only will it help you with your posts, it might help people take you more seriously on a controversial topic. I have been through and tried the whole sniping in paintball thing. I think it can be effective, no matter what people say. But I don't consider someone laying in the brush for 90% of the game just to get one kill a sniper.
Posted Image
Facebook - Group: Banned #18
PMR - P90 Ion FOR SALE - System X Sniper

#3 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:26 PM

View Postblackcelldrumr15, on Apr 22 2010, 02:20 AM, said:

1. Ghillie not Gille
2. Sense not Seance
3. Get a spell check bud, not only will it help you with your posts, it might help people take you more seriously on a controversial topic. I have been through and tried the whole sniping in paintball thing. I think it can be effective, no matter what people say. But I don't consider someone laying in the brush for 90% of the game just to get one kill a sniper.

I know, I was kinda writing this on the fly yet I was stating what makes a sniper a sniper with ghillie

#4 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:34 PM

Firefox, Google Chrome, and a few other web browsers have spell check.

My recommendation: Google Chrome.
Posted Image
Facebook - Group: Banned #18
PMR - P90 Ion FOR SALE - System X Sniper

#5 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:31 AM

View PostBIGBOSS_202, on Apr 22 2010, 02:16 AM, said:

For anyone that is a sniper always here's the insulting "In paintball, there is no thing as a sniper".

In my opinion, that's because a lot of people don't understand what a sniper really is. Many people hear sniper, and somehow that becomes synonomous with eliminating targets from long range, not realizing that distance is a relative condition and an element of stealth. In addition, some people resent people assuming what they consider to be something of an elite title, without having earned or qualified for the position, despite the fact that holds true for other positions people don't qualify for. Besides, if you're playing positions, all of the positions are make believe as well.

I'm going to try and set it straight and prove that the community of paintball snipers exist and are thriving.

I don't know how you can do that in this forum, on the internet, or really any media for that matter. Opinions on this subject are generally very polarized, and discussions usually only increase that polarity. It has always been my opinion that while the position has it's challenges, so do all the positions, and if there are no paintball snipers, then there are no heavy gunners, medium riflemen, daggers, or whatevers either. Whatever logic people apply to the existence or non-existence of one, needs to be applied to all.

Paintball snipers by nature need to have a major seance on endurance especially if your an extreme sniper if an actual gillie suite. Filed craft is the use of a gillie suite and being able to use natural vegetation in the gillie suite to enhance concealment wile creeping with in range of their target. Snipers do mostly provide real time recon but when called upon, they wreak havoc on the enemy but picking off commanders and key personnel or random terror tactics such as picking off enemy troops at random. It is a major psychological impact to see your friend shot right in front of you regardless if it's in paintball or actual combat.

I think one of the credibility issues the paintball sniper faces is that expectations of the position are not aligned with the reality and limitations of paintball. If people acknowledge those, then improvise and adapt their play, the role can be effective and rewarding. Elements of stealth such as camouflage and stalking must be developed to a higher degree to compensate because the paintball sniper loses the relative advantage of distance over other players, with the exception being the new specialized longer distance paintballs available. The availability of these new paintballs increases the viability of the position for paintball. The fact that a paintball sniper must be closer to his targets to eliminate them makes camouflage an even greater necessity. However, a paintball sniper doesn't need to eliminate a single player to be an effective element of the team. Setting up an ambush is a perfect application of a paintball sniper just providing a great diversion or distraction.

This post has been edited by Warpaint: 22 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:59 AM

Excellent argument Warpaint. I totally agree. The definition of a sniper in paintball cannot match up with the definition the military uses. Accuracy and ranger kill that philosophy. However, some tricks in the sniper bag are useful. Ambush and distraction as you mentioned, as well as stalking and guerilla "hit-and-run" harassment tactics.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#7 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

View PostBIGBOSS_202, on Apr 22 2010, 02:16 AM, said:

For anyone that is a sniper always here's the insulting "In paintball, there is no thing as a sniper". I'm going to try and set it straight and prove that the community of paintball snipers exist and are thriving. The primary thing in the real world military that sets a sniper apart from the guy with a scoped rifle (designated marksman) is field craft and the gillie suite that provides highly effective concealment. I will say that shooting from a concealed area is a gray area with it but real snipers can hide in an open area concealed by the gillie suit. The web dog radio radio episode was decent yet didn't go that deep into what being a paintball sniper is about.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Soe-fbP17VY

The spelling or lack there of was actually really distracting. When you want to make a serious point, spelling helps a lot. Lol I was thinking of a hotel suite covered in leafy camo scraps of cloth when you said "gillie suite" Anyway you are highly mistaken on your military sniper definition. The thing that sets a sniper apart from a designated marksman is not a ghillie suit and field craft. No snipers today wear ghillie suits simply because we're fighting a war in the desert. A sniper in the military is a person of a two man squad that acts a force multiplier to a mission to provide guardian angel support, act as a forward observer, or to operate alone as a special forces unit behind enemy lines. They have extended amounts of training in many more aspects than a DM. A designated marksman is assigned to each squad or platoon and he is simply that. A good shot with the means to use his talents at extended ranges.

In paintball there is no such equivalent to a military sniper unless you account for the First Strike paintballs. In paintball unless you're playing a scenario where someone could sneak to the other teams command center and feed constant intel, simply shooting the person they were watching would be much more effective as they cannot call in artillery or air strikes on their target. Most people associate ghillie with sniping in paintball however. Since there is no range advantage one can acquire in paintball, that takes that entire aspect out of the equation and only leaves stealth. Snipers are mainly stealthy because of their range. A so-called paintball sniper would be more aptly called a paintball ninja or Splinter-cell or whatever cool name you want to come up with. The real paintball snipers are like players like "Bandit" in The Whiteboard comics and that is much the way I play. You want to create the illusion that you can seemingly teleport behind people shoot them, and then disappear in the blink of an eye when the team turns you. That's what's so awe-inspiring. Laying down in a ghillie and shooting people doesn't get you much respect. They give credit to your ghillie. If you want to impress people with truly stealthy tactics, learn to get behind them. That's the way to uphold the paintball sniper title.

#8 User is offline   scooby doo 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:machine gun expert

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

Why not just say that paintball snipers do exist but they are in no way affiliated with military snipers.

There, is that a happy median/medium for everyone?

#9 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

View Postscooby doo, on Apr 22 2010, 02:19 PM, said:

Why not just say that paintball snipers do exist but they are in no way affiliated with military snipers.

There can be no compromise :tdn: :P lol

#10 User is offline   scooby doo 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:machine gun expert

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on Apr 22 2010, 04:00 PM, said:

View Postscooby doo, on Apr 22 2010, 02:19 PM, said:

There can be no compromise :P :P lol

first strike hater. :)

#11 User is offline   Soyeahwatsup 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SGTWHITEY

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

how bout "sneaky bush guy"

#12 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:07 AM

I think paintball sniper is fine. People may have an issue with "sniper" because of their unrealistic expectations or limited understanding or definition of snipers in any role, but that's their issue to work out for themselves. "Sniper" is really nothing more than a relative definition that distinguishes a given role and it's associated skill sets or techniques of engagement from the way other players conduct themselves. How effective people are in this role depends upon their skill and experience, technology applied, teamwork, and the situations in which a sniper is applied, among other considerations. Whether the position is effective or useful is really a moot point...the fact is, the people who play this position obviously distinguish themselves from the rest of their team by their tactics or techniques used in engaging their opponent.

Again, if there are no paintball snipers, then by the same logic, there are no anything or whatever elses.

Rather than engaging in yet another pointless discussion about the existence of paintball snipers, it would be nice to have a discussion more relevant to the point of this topic with regards to current tactics or techniques from a perspective of best practices, and potential opportunities for improvement or enhancement.

This post has been edited by Warpaint: 23 April 2010 - 07:18 AM

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:36 PM

Sniper is a relative definition but it's the tactics that set them apart from the others. Field craft, concealment, and a ballistic advantage with good point sights, clear sight picture, and an excellent set up can make all the difference.

#14 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

Just want to throw this out there, but first strikes are cheaper than they once were. I forget the change in price, but I saw it over in the news section.
I think that even though the first strikes have really changed the way I play paintball, as a sniper, they have not changed the basic paintball sniper.
Fieldcraft, stealth, gunskill... all of those things are what make a sniper. The first strike allows me to shoot and hit a target at 60 yards easy, but I can still sneak my way up to a thirty yard shot, or even a ten yard shot.

edit: http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=179990
there is the link...

This post has been edited by Phobeus: 26 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

#15 User is offline   jtpaintball70 

• Stock-Class player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JTPaintball70

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

I'm one of those that says there's no such thing as Snipers. They're a way to sell people tons of useless, heavy crap
☻/ This is Muhammad.
/▌ 
/ \ Copy and paste him

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users