• You cannot reply to this topic

Opinions on Barrels

#1 User is offline   Eustachius 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:55 AM

Hey, all, I'm new here!

With my first post I don't want to make myself seem like a newb by asking "what's the most accurate barrel out there?" but I just want to know what you all think of a few specific barrels, and which one would be the best upgrade to what I have. Currently my marker setup is an A-5 with a palmer stabilizer and a 1200 psi gauge, SR-9 shroud, J&J 12" S2 barrel, and a tac cap. My problem is that I'm tired of having to "walk shots" onto my target, so I'm looking for a barrel that would help me to hit the target in 1-2 shots. I know practice is also a big part of this, but it's that extra bit of accuracy that I'm looking for and if possible about 10 more feet of range.

So the main barrels I'm thinking about are...

-Palmer Brass barrels (just heard about these the other day, my friend said that they're good)

-Opsgear 18" fluted sniper (some are saying it's good, others don't because of the lack of porting)

-Smart Parts Freak (would this even work on an A-5? someone told me it wouldn't really)

-J&J Ceramic 14"-16"

If anyone has another suggestion on a barrel I'd love to hear it! Any info from personal experience would be very much appreciated! And on a final question (though I know this is the barrel forum) does replacing the insides, such as the power tube, bolt, and such really make much difference in the performance of the marker?

Thanks for your time!

#2 User is offline   Ethan211 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

If you're having to walk the shots in, it sounds like your problem isn't so much with accuracy, but with knowing where exactly your point of aim is; the remedy for this is a red-dot sight. You also might want a raised and/or offset sight rail so you can get the red dot closer to your natural line of sight [not-needing-a-cheek-weld, like.]
Tippmann A-5
TechT Vortex Mod, Collapsible Stock, Remote Line, ANS GX2 Reg
Trinity Spring Kit, Simmons Red Dot Sight, Double Trigger
No Trigger Spring, Polished Internals
12" 2005 Powerlyte Scepter Kit
SpecOpsFeedback PBNation Feedback

#3 User is offline   1eyedsnake 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:www.ragamuffinsoldiers.com

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:56 AM

all that above is true. but you still need a good barrel and paint to match the barrel. j+j is the best for all around use. sly barrels and deadly wind are probaly the best for different paints. so you can match the paint best. good luck, there are 200 different people to tell something else.

This post has been edited by 1eyedsnake: 05 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

RAGAMUFFIN SOLDIER

#4 User is offline   Eustachius 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:31 PM

The course that I play on only allows field pant. So I can't bring my own paint to match the barrel's bore... My S2 isn't very picky, but I've noticed the accuracy does improve with the paint (they have several grades there).

Yes! The red dot is something I've been planing, but I'm waiting to get the raised rail and the sight because I want to add a CAR stock to my marker as well. I'm seeing some things about the C series barrels too, but I'm concerned about them being fragile, are they?

#5 User is offline   Jobless Elite 

• is made of Win
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

PPS Brass FTW

Pump Discussion Thread
Looking for a jungle sunset micromag

#6 User is offline   rfcsoulja 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:13 PM

PPS Brass. Not being able to control quality of paint and size at fields wont be a factor witht his barrel. it shoots any paint well.
Tippman A 5: black 12" Palmers Brass Barrel, x-7 hopper, 32* remote w/ slidecheck, mp5 pdw folding stock, polished internals,maddman spring kit, dagger vest,holographic red dot sight, ums sight raiser, long mp5 shroud.

IF WE CAN'T DO IT, IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE DONE!

feedback

#7 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlueDragonX

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:11 PM

What actually makes the difference when it comes to accuracy/consistency in a barrel is how the paint conforms to the inside of the bore. Ideally the paintball will touch the inside of the bore in two or three places. This can be achieved by changing the bore size, which is what a Freak does. But paint, even in the same case, is not all exactly the same size. So with a Freak a lot of your shots will be dead on, but those paintballs that are off-size will be off-target.

But this is where the PPS Brass comes in! Palmer threw the idea of matching bore size to paint out the window. Instead he made his barrel slightly oval (elliptical). This way no matter the size of the paint it would all touch in exactly two places in the barrel.

This is why with ultra-premium paint there will be no discernible difference between a PPS Brass and a properly sized barrel kit. But then, as our friend rfcsoulja stated above, at an FPO field you don't have any control over the paint, and so a PPS Brass will have the edge over any barrel kit.

The PPS Brass has only one downside: It is heavy. That's because it's brass and considerably thicker-walled than most aluminum barrels, even a Freak back with insert. Brass is heavier than aluminum. And you have more of it. That makes it a great deal heavier.

So, if you want the best accuracy in all situations, the PPS Brass is the way to go. If you have a bit more control over the quality of paint you use and want the lightest marker possible, go with the Freak.

A note on weight, though: On the speedball field I find the heavier weight of my E-Mag with the PPS Brass is not a detriment to my abilities on the field as the games are short and I don't have to carry it around for all that long. But when holding the marker for hours on end in a scenario it can be a bit tiring. Even so, I still use my PPS Brass in the woods.

Ghost Recon - Chord Mag - E-Mag - Stiffi vs. C-Series
"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#8 User is offline   Eustachius 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:21 PM

So if I were to get a PPS barrel, I would want to go with the custom one because I want something a tad longer than 12". So I'm thinking a 14" or 15" if I go that rout... I've also noticed in the options that there are porting options. Does the porting make a difference? there's standard and then there's the double, I think. Or would the un-ported be just as good? Thanks for your time, guys, I really appreciate this!

#9 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• The swagger of an EMPEROR!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ka1iBuR

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:55 AM

Well, if you're looking to buy a Freak, I would instead suggest the Lapco Snapshot kit. The Freak is good, but the inserts are quite feeble, and if you slightly dent one, you're out 25 bucks. The Snapshot is kind of like the woodsball version of the Freak. No inserts, very accurate, easy to clean, and it even comes in its own case. I would rate this kit 9/10.

#10 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlueDragonX

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:10 AM

View PostEustachius, on May 7 2007, 11:21 PM, said:

So if I were to get a PPS barrel, I would want to go with the custom one because I want something a tad longer than 12". So I'm thinking a 14" or 15" if I go that rout... I've also noticed in the options that there are porting options. Does the porting make a difference? there's standard and then there's the double, I think. Or would the un-ported be just as good? Thanks for your time, guys, I really appreciate this!

If you get a custom PPS Brass it's going to cost you a straight $125 minimum. 12" is an ideal length, it's a happy medium, so to speak. Except for aesthetics there's not any real reason to go that much longer on an unported barrel. Ported, that extra bit may help a bit with efficiency, but really it's not enough to be noticeable.

The porting only makes a difference in sound and a minor effect on efficiency. The ported barrels will be quieter, but on an A5 it's rather pointless. The unported barrels will be slightly more gas efficient. Accuracy will be identical regardless of porting.

Ghost Recon - Chord Mag - E-Mag - Stiffi vs. C-Series
"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users