• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Sabot Paintballs hear me out

#1 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

ok here is what im thinking,paintballs are limited in range because well,they're ball shaped.
people have tryed rifling barrles,but im skeptical about how well they work...if at all.

but what if a paintball was incased in a sabot,in a smooth bore barrel,not unlike what the American Abrams tank uses

for those of you who dont know what a sabot is,a sabot is a device used in a firearm or cannon to fire a projectile, such as a bullet, that is smaller than the bore diameter, or which must be held in a precise position

this picture is of a shotgun firing buck shot using a Cup style Sabot(the shot is the little clump of dot looking things and the sabot is the large solid mass

Posted Image

now what if instead of shot there was a paintball there

this picture is of a spindle sabot with a solid super-dense kinetic dart,the same kind of ammo fired from the forementioned Abrams,keep in mind this isnt a pool hall dart,its the size of a small child.

Posted Image

im not saying we make paintballs the shape of darts,just something for ya'll to ponder on

probably the best pictures i found was this one,it really explain what im trying...and maybe failing,to fully say.

Posted Image

now the ammo im talking about wouldn't have gunpowder or a primer at the end,so block tht idea from your minds.

if u removed the slug from the top shell and replace it with a paintball, you can (in theory) increase range and accuracy,by 1) cutting back on the amount of air escapeing around the paintball. 2)eliminate or reduce the effect caused by the paintball boucing around as it moves thro the barrel,due to a bad paint-to-bore match

(same concepts apply for this next idea) if you replaced the flechettes in the second part of the diagram,with a large amount of 6mm or 11mm paintballs,you have a true paintball shotgun round,no more playinf with paintball "shotguns" that are well basiclly just pumps,this brings a whole new level of realism to the sport.

these rounds would have to be magazine fednot hopper fed,a real plus for fans of RAP4 markers and basicly the majority of milsim players...i think

if anyone has any thoughts about this,either you agree with me or not i'd love to hear em,speak up.
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#2 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:43 AM

i think it would make an already expensive sport/hobby

even more expensive..

seems like a cool idea. just not really pocket friendly..

our PD uses Glock training pistols with different bolts in them so they cant fire live rounds, but the ammo for them is ridiculous in price.. like .75 a piece.. for the 9mm and the ones for the carbines.
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#3 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:55 AM

it would get too costly too fast to gain little to no improvement over properly sizing your paint to a barrel kit. Hell some of us don't even believe in barrel kits and proper bore fit. :P

I do intend on using shotgun shells when i get my Max Boom, as that is how it loads and fires, break action, double barreled PB marker. Load a PB or two per shell and off you go. D: :) So anxious for this to be released. Will totally slow down my game to a snails pace, but will be fun.

Though the average person would think this is rediculous, they want to shoot a 200 round hopper, hard to get 200 shells

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#4 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:54 AM

Same problem as first strike. Loading them from a hopper.

#5 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:38 AM

Someone actually tried something like this back in the 80s...it was a plastic backer that that was hand attached to each ball & then muzzle loaded...basically it was a little attachement that added stabalizer fins to the back of the ball. Didnt work well.

#6 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

The Stuntman, on Mar 17 2010, 10:38 AM, said:

Someone actually tried something like this back in the 80s...it was a plastic backer that that was hand attached to each ball & then muzzle loaded...basically it was a little attachement that added stabalizer fins to the back of the ball. Didnt work well.

not handloaded,and not hopper fed,pre-packaged in a magazine of some sort

i know guys who pay between 2-4 thousand dollars for a marker....maybe nto everyone will buy this kind of ammo...but not everyone buy alot of things.

This post has been edited by Down Range Pain: 17 March 2010 - 10:16 AM

Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#7 User is offline   UWANNAGO 

• Im kind of a big deal, people know me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:UWANNAGO

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

Just get a good barrel to paint match and it will keep from excess air escaping.

It also wont bring the need for a special feed system and it wont add more cost to this sport.

#8 User is offline   SFC. Connell 

• *Extreme Strategist*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SFC. Connell

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

no one said it yet, but this for one...would fall under the one ball per trigger pull rule, (I know there are ways around it but still) and it may become too dangerous as well. What if you shot someone with that at close range? I dont know, but some ideas jsut dont seem practical and this to me is on.
Feedback

She faked a funeral so people would come visit?
ROFLMAO That's both terrible and hilarious at the same time.-Pirate

#9 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

cool iea, but expensive. it would probably need a specialized gun to fire em...
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#10 User is offline   Marine Scout Sniper 

• Digitaly Sniping one shot at a time
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:scoutsniper777

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:06 AM

Thumper113, on Mar 17 2010, 02:43 AM, said:

i think it would make an already expensive sport/hobby

even more expensive..

seems like a cool idea. just not really pocket friendly..

our PD uses Glock training pistols with different bolts in them so they cant fire live rounds, but the ammo for them is ridiculous in price.. like .75 a piece.. for the 9mm and the ones for the carbines.

Yes, expensive. Sad deal with the ammo there. My live rounds of 7.62x39mm for my semi-auto AK is only 20 cents per shot. I do have to say lighting up the target with my drum mag on my last outing with 76 rounds (extra one in the chamber) was a mind-gasm. Man that was fun. The rounds just kept loading. lol :tup:

But that's manufacturing and materials costs for ya.

SFC. Connell, on Mar 17 2010, 04:14 PM, said:

no one said it yet, but this for one...would fall under the one ball per trigger pull rule, (I know there are ways around it but still) and it may become too dangerous as well. What if you shot someone with that at close range? I dont know, but some ideas jsut dont seem practical and this to me is on.

It would be no different than a normal paintball round, just more aerodynamic. The fact that you have the round made out of the same materials as paintballs today would make it less than lethal.

You WOULD have to have rules like in airsoft where such a device being used is restricted to engaging a player at further distances because of the increase in ballistic efficiency through improvement of aerodynamics, to improve player safety.

Praise and Complaint Dept. (feedback) Digitally Dangerous [Cocker Owner #77] A5 RT Operator

#11 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:19 AM

Marine Scout Sniper, on Mar 19 2010, 03:06 AM, said:

You WOULD have to have rules like in airsoft where such a device being used is restricted to engaging a player at further distances because of the increase in ballistic efficiency through improvement of aerodynamics, to improve player safety.

how do you enforce that in a game? I sneak up behind you, you turn and see me 10 feet from you when i am going in on a barrel tag on you...are you now not allowed to shoot me cause i am too close, but i can still shoot you now that you spotted me??

You can't plan the distances your engagements will be at, you'd have to pack two markers, one for long balling (which is pointless) and one for up close...not fun packing two markers...or easy.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#12 User is offline   weeebeep 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:weeebeep

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

good idea, however im thinking just shoot off a small pod full of 50cal paintballs at 250fps. same concept, much larger.

also at the speed of 250fps you can attatch a string or rubber band (or something) to the pod to keep it from turning backwards in flight and hitting TechPBMike in the head. (ouch! monsterball!)

#13 User is offline   Never Dead's twin 

• WARPAINT
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BLACK OPS RANGER

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

I rememmber when this was brought up many many many years back, needless to say the idea did not work out, for all the reasons stated and I rememmber a comment made by some one that stated that they did not wish to get hit with the sabot. Good try though! :D

This post has been edited by Never Dead's twin: 19 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users