Special Ops Paintball: TRU in Crye Multicam: The Straight Dope - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TRU in Crye Multicam: The Straight Dope Tru-Spec's ACU-Style Tactical Response Uniform

#1 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:C

Post icon  Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:46 PM

Many military personnel across the branches -- and a lot of paintballers -- are of the opinion that the Army Combat Uniform (ACU) has the best set of tactical design features of any current or soon-to-be adopted American armed forces duty uniform. Its versatile, shorter-waisted, no-nonsense cut, with a Mandarin collar, zippered front closure, angled chest pockets, slanted cargo pockets, tactical accessory pockets on the shoulders and calves, and knee/elbow pad compatibility brought US service personnel out of a half-century BDU dark age.

Most people's biggest beef about the Army Combat Uniform is not the styling of the garment but rather its camouflage pattern. Army Combat Uniform Pattern, or ACUPat, is a three-shade digital camo pattern consisting of Grey Green (AKA Foliage Green), Deep Grey Green, and Desert Tan (AKA Sand). It is also known as Army Pattern (ArPat), Army Universal Camouflage (AUC), Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP), Digital Army Pattern (DAP), Army Digital Pattern (ADP), and All-Terrain Digital (ATD). It is a disruptive-style multi-environment camo pattern designed to break up the human form at a variety of ranges across a wide range of terrain, from desert to urban to deep woodland. ACUPat was the apparently the finalist along with Crye Multicam in the Army's Project Scorpion pattern testing, outpointing Crye's blending-style camo in the infrared tests and coming close enough to Multicam's performance in the visual testing to warrant the Defense Department's acceptance of it as the current single pattern for all uniforms and gear. That ACUPat consists of only three colors, no fades in the pattern, and no licensing fees (unlike Crye Multicam) -- making it significantly cheaper to print -- might have also influenced the government's decision to adopt it.

Indifference to the ACU camo is rare in the woodsball crowd. Most Army operators seem to be satisfied with ACUPat, but paintballers tend to either love it or hate it. People in some parts of the country favor it for summertime play when the terrain is dry. People in other parts of the country like ACUPat in the winter when the foliage is off the trees and the landscape is brown. Still other 'ballers say ACUPat's disruptive effect works exactly as it should in a variety of terrains, and its low-contrast neutral shades serve them well. Then there are the detractors, who claim ACUPat makes them seem to glow in the dark when they play in the deep woods. Personally, in recognition of its low-bid heritage, I like to joke that ACUPat is "the camo that hides you pretty well everywhere but not really well anywhere"... :D

So what happens when the best tactical styling meets the hottest camouflage fabric? Paydirt for paintballers! It's the Tru-Spec TRU in genuine Multicam!

Posted Image

Tru-Spec's Tactical Response Uniform (TRU) debuted a little over a year ago. It was the much-anticipated civilian version of the Army Combat Uniform in down-low solid tactical colors and proven, more traditional camo patterns like woodland and three-color desert. TRUs were also uprated for improvement in some of the minor details over the mil-spec Army uniforms produced by Tru-Spec and Propper. Recently, the TRU became available to the public in genuine Crye Multicam 50-50 nylon-cotton rip-stop fabric. Here's how the new TRUs stack up...

Posted Image

Anyone who has a genuine ACU made by Tru-Spec will recognize the excellent quality, fit, and finish of the Multicam TRU. It is sized similarly to their ACU, possibly a hair more generously. The stitching and seams are perfect, and the TRUs (like their solid-color cousins) are additionally reinforced at key points (including the Velcro tabs) compared to what the Army gets. My set had absolutely no irregularities whatsoever. The fabric is 50-50 ny-co in a rip-stop weave, less common than the ny-co twill Crye produces for various vendors but just as genuine and with a real feeling of durability. (Tru-Spec seems to be the only vendor besides Crye marketing rip-stop uniforms, making the TRUs somewhat unique.) The fabric feels very similar to the standard Army uniform rip-stop fabric, if perhaps very slightly lighter and with a slightly more brushed texture that gives it a very soft hand.

Posted Image

All the aforementioned features of the ACU are present in highly refined form in the TRU. The new Multicam TRUs have a few new twists on the original solid-color production run (which were made in 65-35 poly-cotton blend rip-stop), most notably a full-length Velcro closure on the pants cargo pockets, which, like the ACU pants also have a secure elastic drawstring for redundant security. The cargo pockets are actually a little more difficult to open one-handed -- and certainly less quiet -- with the added Velcro, but the contents (including heavy items) are guaranteed to stay put. Otherwise, the styling of the new TRU is virtually identical to that of the ACU.

The bottom line is this. At $140 per set, the Multicam TRU is expensive woodsball apparel. However, it is less than a set of Crye R6s (the only comparable Multicam rip-stop alternative) by more than 25%. If you are looking for myriad tactical features, and the more athletic and paintball-specific design of similarly priced custom Multicam Special Ops Marauders doesn't suit you, Multicam TRUs may be about the best thing going for the hardcore woodsball player.

(As of this posting, AFMO was just about out of their first shipment of Multicam TRUs, save for odd sizes. They estimate another shipment by the first week in April and urge pre-orders, so if you think you're interested, reserve yours soon, as the second batch will surely go as fast as the first one did.)

This post has been edited by Lil' C: 26 March 2007 - 08:02 AM

Sigs aren't actually allowed on the Special Ops Forum, so I don't have one.

#2 User is offline   French 

• Group:Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:QC MAD KID

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:23 PM

very nice but dam to expensive for me
INFLUENCE 09 Vaughan Vipers RXL 2k10
WARNING HEAVY METAL click me /Here my feedback
Tdot feedback Group banned# 13 MCB feedback

#3 User is offline   DA GAme Meister 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:DA Game Meister

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:15 AM

awesome review Lil C

Have you washed them yet? and if so did they fade any?

-Da Game Meister

This post has been edited by DA GAme Meister: 27 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

IPB Image How many bps are you gonna miss me with?

#4 User is offline   DeeLux 

• Captain, SW Regulators
  • Pip

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:34 AM

Great review Lil' C
I'm waiting on my set (XL Long), which is supposed to come in stock mid April.
I can't friggin wait, the pictures you took do not dissapoint.

It also looks to me like there is no place for name tapes on the shirt, due to the slanted pockets.
Is that true?

EDIT: Also, have you looked into what types of knee pads fit into the slots? Or if you could measure the slot for me, that would be cool.

This post has been edited by DeeLux: 09 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

* Capt. DeeLux XO * SW Regulators * 4 time MVT winners *
Southwest Regulators Website

#5 User is offline   French 

• Group:Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:QC MAD KID

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

lil c if you got xtra money send me a marpat blouse xxl plz
INFLUENCE 09 Vaughan Vipers RXL 2k10
WARNING HEAVY METAL click me /Here my feedback
Tdot feedback Group banned# 13 MCB feedback

#6 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:49 PM

View PostDeeLux, on Apr 9 2007, 11:34 AM, said:

Great review Lil' C
I'm waiting on my set (XL Long), which is supposed to come in stock mid April.
I can't friggin wait, the pictures you took do not dissapoint.

It also looks to me like there is no place for name tapes on the shirt, due to the slanted pockets.
Is that true?

EDIT: Also, have you looked into what types of knee pads fit into the slots? Or if you could measure the slot for me, that would be cool.

Thx, DeeLux. As with their solid-color TRUs, Tru-Spec includes some Coyote Tan loop Velcro that you can sew on at your option.

As for knee pads, the rectangular grey foam ones (marked cage code 55900) that work for the ACU also work for th TRU. Or you can cut down some 5.11 Tactical pads.

#7 User is offline   DeeLux 

• Captain, SW Regulators
  • Pip

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:06 AM

View PostLil' C, on Apr 9 2007, 09:49 PM, said:

Thx, DeeLux. As with their solid-color TRUs, Tru-Spec includes some Coyote Tan loop Velcro that you can sew on at your option.

As for knee pads, the rectangular grey foam ones (marked cage code 55900) that work for the ACU also work for th TRU. Or you can cut down some 5.11 Tactical pads.

Thanks for the reply!

* Capt. DeeLux XO * SW Regulators * 4 time MVT winners *
Southwest Regulators Website

#8 User is offline   Radar 

• SKum Dog
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Recon-Radar

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:52 PM

living in the desert i wold buy marpat desert if people mad more stuff in the pattern. but i use acu, it works well out here.

#9 User is offline   Scand. Guard 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Scandguard

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:08 AM

It all depends on where you play paintball. Most of your paintball players play here in Florida during the winter. The ACU is designed for the woodland, desert, and mout environments, which we have plenty of that here in florida. :P

#10 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:29 AM

View PostScand. Guard, on Apr 17 2007, 08:08 AM, said:

It all depends on where you play paintball...

I agree. In Western Washington, ACUs work great during the early part of the year and at the peak of the dry summer, less well during the rainy spring when the foliage is lush and at its greenest.

You have to use ACUPat, a disruptive camouflage pattern, a little differently than you would a blending scheme like Multicam or traditional Woodland. You don't just jump into a bush with it and expect to be instantly hidden.

ACUPat does what it's supposed to do: it hides you pretty well everywhere, even if it doesn't hide you really well anywhere...

PS: Regarding the Multicam TRU laundry performance, so far so good, as expected. Since it's made from a ripstop version of the same genuine Crye ny-co fabric reviewed elsewhere, it remains colorfast with virtually no fading and just a little softening up for an even better feel than when it's brand new.

This post has been edited by Lil' C: 17 April 2007 - 09:33 AM

#11 User is offline   Factor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Factor

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:04 AM

dude ... Lil - you are my hero
i only wish we lived closer so we could hit the field and do some damage together

every post of yours i have ever read - i just nod my head in agreement ... i reply to those posts hardly ever because it would always be the same redundant "agree" response

i admire your love of the sport and your attention to detail ... i also admire the fact that you don't skimp or cut corners with your gear and the fact that you're not afraid to spend good money to have sweet stuff

bravo
Digitally Dangerous: Factor this ...

#12 User is offline   Scand. Guard 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Scandguard

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

View PostLil, on Apr 17 2007, 12:29 PM, said:

View PostScand. Guard, on Apr 17 2007, 08:08 AM, said:

It all depends on where you play paintball...

I agree. In Western Washington, ACUs work great during the early part of the year and at the peak of the dry summer, less well during the rainy spring when the foliage is lush and at its greenest.

You have to use ACUPat, a disruptive camouflage pattern, a little differently than you would a blending scheme like Multicam or traditional Woodland. You don't just jump into a bush with it and expect to be instantly hidden.

ACUPat does what it's supposed to do: it hides you pretty well everywhere, even if it doesn't hide you really well anywhere...

PS: Regarding the Multicam TRU laundry performance, so far so good, as expected. Since it's made from a ripstop version of the same genuine Crye ny-co fabric reviewed elsewhere, it remains colorfast with virtually no fading and just a little softening up for an even better feel than when it's brand new.

I have three types of camouflage patterns, ACU, Woodland, and Fishing camo (don't ask). The hardest thing to hide would be my jt headshield. It's black. So I brought this hat that has a screen that goes around the headshield. The next time i play woodsball, i will bring all three patterns along with my new hat:ghillie:

This post has been edited by Scand. Guard: 17 April 2007 - 11:09 AM

#13 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:16 AM

View PostFactor, on Apr 17 2007, 10:04 AM, said:

i admire your love of the sport and your attention to detail...

Thx, man.

#14 User is offline   NZ bush pig 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:21 AM

1STly awsome post lil C,you got me hooked almost but have you or Has anyone used multicam in a rain forest type of envoriment??..or tropical forrest prehaps??.. thats what we have in new zealand and I'm almost tempted to buy multicam gear but before i do i would like to hear any feedback if possible thanks.I went to cryeprecision and most of there images are based mainly around dessert surrounding any feedback would be great unfortunately they sell chep knock offs down here for $100 but if i buy multicam i prefer to have the real deal and its 5x the knock off prices..

#15 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:04 PM

I think I have heard of units using Multicam or its knock-offs in places like Hawai'i and the Philippines, but you'd have to ask around to find out first-hand how it performed...

UPDATE: Tru-Spec's traditional-cut BDUs in Crye Multicam reviewed here:

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=109502

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users