Special Ops Paintball: Official Military Service Q&A Thread - Special Ops Paintball

• (69 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official Military Service Q&A Thread All Military Questions Here! Rate Topic: -----

#46 User is offline   Matt 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:35 PM

This is not a question or comment, more of a rant. But why does alot of people think just because you join the miliary, you are going to die!?! I was out at the post office shiping a few packages, and I started having a conversation with this lady. Well I told her I was going to join the Marines and she thought that was a bad idea. She kept saying things like, "Do you know how many people are dying over there?" or "Please just think about what you want to do."
I humored her just by saying I will think about it...yeah right, I already made up my mind.

But just, why do so many people think just because you join up, you are going to die?

#47 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace-014

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:48 PM

View PostMatt, on Nov 13 2007, 04:35 PM, said:

This is not a question or comment, more of a rant. But why does alot of people think just because you join the miliary, you are going to die!?! I was out at the post office shiping a few packages, and I started having a conversation with this lady. Well I told her I was going to join the Marines and she thought that was a bad idea. She kept saying things like, "Do you know how many people are dying over there?" or "Please just think about what you want to do."
I humored her just by saying I will think about it...yeah right, I already made up my mind.

But just, why do so many people think just because you join up, you are going to die?

2 words "The Media"
Official SpecOps FC

#48 User is offline   Iranosaurus Rex 

• Ringleader
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:50 PM

View PostMatt, on Nov 13 2007, 07:35 PM, said:

The only news you ever hear about the war is the death count and how things are failing miserably. However, that's not just the media's fault. War inherently sucks big time and there is usually never anything good to report, especially with the war we're fighting now. We could sign a peace treaty with Al-Muhajir or whoever is in charge of those Al-Qaeda psychos and the killings wouldn't stop.
Automaggot #1 Plane Takes Off Club #1

#49 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:33 PM

View PostO, on Nov 12 2007, 10:18 PM, said:

View PostTeddy K, on Nov 12 2007, 08:23 PM, said:

In the air force what are requirments to actually become a pilot or get into an officer training program.

Can you just get into an officer/pilot program and you just can be in it till you graduate/drop out or do you have to get some sort of commendation to get into those programs.

Peace,
Teddy K

One you have to be an officer... in which case you have to go to a 4 year college. And two I think you have to above the rank of Lieutenant. Theres alot of qualifying tests you have to go through. So check out usmilitary.about.com for more info. You need to be a commissioned officer to fly in the AF. That means that yes, a 4-year degree is required, although there's no rules about what kind of degree that is. They prefer you get it from USAFA, and the AFSC selection board shows that by giving us about 600 pilot slots per year; however, this is not by any means necessary. So long as your degree is accredited, you can be commissioned through OTS, although I hear it's difficult to earn a pilot slot by that route. I don't have any experience in that, it's just what I've heard. You can also get commissioned through the ROTC program, which is the second-best way to get yourself into a cockpit.

Training. The following training is mandatory as indicated:

For entry into this specialty, completion of Air Force Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (SUPT). SUPT comes after UPT, which is generic flight training and evaluation. UPT gets you into a "track" of heavies (C-17, C-130, etc), bombers (B-2, B-1, B-52, etc), fighers (F-16, F-15, F-35, F-22, etc.), or helicopters (H-53, H-60, etc). SUPT will train you within that track.

Remarks in Air Force blue.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#50 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C9H13NO3

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:39 PM

View PostMatt, on Nov 13 2007, 07:35 PM, said:

media is a big part of it. i got a lot of that when i joined the DEP. people in highschool told me i would die in iraq. I just told them some things are worth dying for, and when I signed the papers, i was prepared to give my life for my country.

#51 User is offline   O'C 

• Machineguns!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:O'C

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

View PostQuip, on Nov 13 2007, 04:15 PM, said:

I want to join the Marines, preferably as an officer. My question is: if I do PLC or OCC, do I stand a pretty good chance of being commissioned?
~Quip~
The thing about OCS is that when you sign up for it... theres a pretty high percentage of people not succeeding in terms or drop outs whether its physical demands or lack of mental capabilities, drop on request by a DI for physical demands, mental capabilities or if the DI feels you are not capable of commanding and/or leading Marines in the future. I think like 60% of all OCS candidates graduate and the rest of the 40% fail. And the other thing is that once you walk off or get dropped theres no coming back. But as long as you have enough modivation and push yourself past your limits mental and physically, Im sure you can do it.
Hey if you want to check out more info on OCS check out this website. It really helped on my decision of going to OCS or Enlisted.

media is a big part of it. i got a lot of that when i joined the DEP. people in highschool told me i would die in iraq. I just told them some things are worth dying for, and when I signed the papers, i was prepared to give my life for my country.
Lol... alot of my friends told me that too.. and I just jokingly said that Im invisble. lol. "I catch bullets!" lol. But thats the thing... The military especially the Marines arent for everyone. Oh and Im not a Marine... just a poolee. And the cool thing is that Im still a minor... so my mom signed the papers allowing me to join. lol.

This post has been edited by O'C: 14 November 2007 - 08:11 PM

#52 User is offline   ^!) 

• ...for tomorrow we die.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

View PostMechanical CB, on Nov 13 2007, 07:40 AM, said:

What kind of tank do you work on?

...there's only one tank currently in use in the Marine Corps.... the M1A1 Abrams. As a mechanic, though, I also work on the M88A2 Hercules recovery vehicle, as well as the AVLB Bridge vehicle.

...but as I stated earlier, I'm not on tanks right now, I'm in a rifle company.

View PostHell Rider, on Nov 13 2007, 11:19 AM, said:

What do you have to do to pass the marine boot camp? like how many push ups and what ever?

As long as you put forth your best effort, and never quit, you'll make it through. That's all it takes.... the muscles will come eventually, but you just have to push yourself toward the goal of becoming a Marine.

or....

by the numbers:
28:00 3-mile
3 pull-ups
55 situps

...that's the minimum. But if you want to be a Marine, you should care more about the maximum.

18:00 3-mile
20 pull-ups
100 situps

View PostMatt, on Nov 13 2007, 06:35 PM, said:

The death rate (non-natural caused deaths) in any major city in America is a higher number than what you have in Iraq right now. Heck... I'm over here right now... I haven't died yet.... (knock on wood).

for those of you in the DEP, what MOS are you choosing?

This post has been edited by ^!): 14 November 2007 - 10:37 PM

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#53 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:18 PM

20 pull-ups
100 situps

So thats the maximum huh? Sounds easy enough. Well atleast the 3 mile sounds easy enough. Pull ups and situps might need a little work.

Lol, not kidding, And I'm 14.

Not puting down the Marines or anything, but this does give me better hopes for makin my way through the Military.
Official SpecOps FC

#54 User is offline   snipin'since88 

• TEUFELHUNDEN
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:snipinsince88

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:17 AM

View PostAce-014, on Nov 14 2007, 11:18 PM, said:

20 pull-ups
100 situps

So thats the maximum huh? Sounds easy enough. Well atleast the 3 mile sounds easy enough. Pull ups and situps might need a little work.

Not puting down the Marines or anything, but this does give me better hopes for makin my way through the Military.

its not as easy as it seems. the pull-ups are dead hang pullups. meaning, arms extended all the way. they stoped doing situps in 99. its crunches now. from shoulders touching the ground to forehead breaking the plane of the knees.

#55 User is offline   O'C 

• Machineguns!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:O'C

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:37 AM

View Post^!), on Nov 14 2007, 09:33 PM, said:

for those of you in the DEP, what MOS are you choosing?
Ummm...0300 for me.

View Postsnipin, on Nov 15 2007, 06:17 AM, said:

its not as easy as it seems. the pull-ups are dead hang pullups. meaning, arms extended all the way. they stoped doing situps in 99. its crunches now. from shoulders touching the ground to forehead breaking the plane of the knees.
Yous sure.. because when I got DEPed, they gave me a training guide and the description arms crossed holding the biceps or elbows and shoulders touching the ground to elbows touching the hip. But it might be different in Boot Camp. I dont know.

#56 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:52 AM

View Postsnipin, on Nov 15 2007, 05:17 AM, said:

View PostAce-014, on Nov 14 2007, 11:18 PM, said:

20 pull-ups
100 situps

Oh I see now. Atleast I got the running thing down.
And this is the Marines, anyone know what it is for the Nation Gaurd?
Official SpecOps FC

#57 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Meline

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:07 AM

For Army National Guard its the same as the RA (I'm assuming you're between 17-21)

Push up:
Min 42
Max 71

Sit Up:
Min 53
Max 78

2 Mile run
Min 15:54
Max 13:00
CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

#58 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:13 PM

View PostMeline, on Nov 15 2007, 08:07 AM, said:

For Army National Guard its the same as the RA (I'm assuming you're between 17-21)

Push up:
Min 42
Max 71

Sit Up:
Min 53
Max 78

2 Mile run

Yay!
Official SpecOps FC

#59 User is offline   GHOSTRECON12 

• is an alaskin with night vision goggles
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:GHOSTRECON12

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

View PostMeline, on Nov 15 2007, 10:07 AM, said:

Push up:
Min 42
Max 71

Sit Up:
Min 53
Max 78

2 Mile run

what are the requirements for marines?

also is bootcamp really as bad as its said to be? assuming your someone like me whos out of shape.
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender--Winston Churchill

#60 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Meline

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:47 PM

^^ SEE post #53
CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

Share this topic:

• (69 Pages)
  • +
  • « First