Special Ops Paintball: Tips for Working Out - Special Ops Paintball

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tips for Working Out Exercises, schedules, routines and overall tips and discussion.

#1 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

So in preparation for my career in the Marine Corps I've begun to workout in my spare time...a lot. I know I haven't been on here and I miss my e-family but between school, work, and working out I barely have time. I figured I'd create a thread so I'd have an excuse to get on here more often to check up on the discussion to better my workouts. B) Well one question I have for other enthusiasts is what's best to build chest and biceps. I mean I do high weight on the bench, push ups, flys, and for biceps I do 21s, standing barbell curls, preacher curls, hammer curls, dumbbell curls, pull ups, everything but it seems both my chest and biceps seem slower to develop than the rest of my body. Any tips or ideas?

#2 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

Sometimes genetics can be a factor. Also, it can be the amount of weight you're lifting, and how much protein you feed your body. What I would do is this:

Make yourself an exercise table in whatever word processing program you use.

Have columns, left to right, in the following order:

1) Exercise Name
2) Sets
3) Reps.
4) Weight lifted (i.e. 30 lb dumbbell and so on)
5) Time start for exercise (i.e. starting curls at 13:50 into the workout)
6) End time for exercise (i.e. ending curls at 17:00 into the workout)
7) Total Weight lifted (lbs. x total reps.)

That's what I do. It keeps my organized and on a fairly decent schedule, and it gives me time targets to beat.

This is my program, set for every two days. The following day I have started running, since the weather is warm now. (I use free weights in my basement.)

4 sets of 25 push ups each for 100 push ups total
20 dips
3 sets, 10 reps, of Standing Tricep Extensions using 20 lb.
3 sets, 10 reps, of Sitting Bicep Curls using 30 lb.
3 sets, 10 reps, of Standing Hammer Curls using 25 lb.
20 dips

That's for upper body, along with some shoulder exercises. Throw in two sets of squats, sit-ups, calf raises, and some other stuff, and on a good day when I am really moving, I can get it all done in about 35 minutes.

Now, to build muscle, you of course need protein. I don't use supplements. I simply eat about 3 lbs of deli turkey per week. That works pretty well for me. That isn't to say I am some power lifter - I'm not. But I am in pretty good shape.
Alea iacta est ~ The board is set, the pieces are moving.
~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#3 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

Oh, man I hit the gym for 2-3 hours a day. If you really want to increase muscle strength and endurance you need to only work like two muscles a day. The reason is you don't get bigger while you workout, you essentially just stimulate your muscles to get bigger while you workout and you mainly repair and get bigger in your sleep. You need a lot of recovery time to repair even two muscle groups and your body physically cannot repair your entire upper body at once. Certain muscles need more rest than others but your high endurance muscles such as your abs, and legs, you can work every other day provided you aren't doing high weight. I think my problem is my diet actually. I just don't have time to constantly be eating nor the money to constantly buy protein. I like your objective spreadsheet though and it seems to have all the variables covered because the time into your workout and all the work you've already done really does effect your performance.

#4 Guest_The Verdict_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:38 PM

As long as you can run, do push-ups, pull-ups, and dips you'll be fine. Weights are good, but most likely will not be part of your basic training. If your looking to get ripped though sounds like you're on the right track.

Good choice though, the Marines are the best outside of the SEALs and Special Ops.

#5 User is offline   Gauss 

• God. Guns. Guts.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

Calories. A LOT of them.
Only if you are lifting like 2-3 hours a day like you said.
OFFICIAL BROADSWORD RECOGNITION NUMBER: 112
OFFICIAL SABRE RECOGNITION NUMBER: 530
God. Guns. Guts.

#6 User is offline   Malu 

• VSC Phantom Owner
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:AutomagSniper

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:59 AM

2-3 hours? Sounds like overtraining. I'm in the SEAL program, I talk to the SEAL on a monthly basis. You don't need to be big man, you just need to be strong. Go to sealswcc.com and look up the training guide. It includes all you need. Push ups, pull ups, sit ups, running, and for you you could ignore all the swimming. I said to him, isn't that too easy?!? It doesn't seem like enough. He said that it's the perfect workout developed by doctors, physicians, personal trainers, and athletes alike. If you work hard and do all the workouts correctly you WILL get stronger. Period. That program will get you to the point you need to be at for a serious military career. It's a 26 week program I believe, which is necessary. You can't get ripped overnight, or even in a month or two. If you take a long time, and build up gradually you will see more results in the long run. This is coming from a SEAL, so I'm going to believe its true. Good luck man! ;) By the way, when do you leave? I leave for Navy basic August 2nd.

#7 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

Right now I don't know anymore :(. It was supposed to be June 6th (cool date), but the USMC has a limit on how many people can be in at one time so there's a waiting list. Right now he said it will probably be next year simply because I'll be a 92-day reservist which simply means I do my boot camp over the summer. So it's either June 6th now or June 6th next year. As for the military training, I'm pretty much aceing my PFT, but I want Company Ironman which means being the top guy out of an entire company. Also I want to look good as in muscle size for this summer ;). The last few months before boot camp I'm going to cut out all the heavy weights and go back to all body-weight military-esque exercises. Right now my goals are:
Bench press 225lbs
35 pull-ups
120 push ups (2 mins)
180 sit ups (2 mins)
8 min 500m swim
16:30 min 3-mile run

Right now I'm at:
135lbs
22 pull ups
105 push ups
115 sit ups
10:36 500m swim
19:09 3-mile run

Since I'm pretty sure I'll reach my goals, for now I want to build a lot of muscle mass so when I cut back and increase my endurance, I'll get more solid condensed muscle.

#8 User is offline   JerseyPaint 

• Jersey Fresh.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JerseyPaint

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

High weights. If you can do more than 5, you don't have enough weight. 5 weeks ago I was doing 3 sets of 5 reps on the bench with 115 (35s on each side) and struggling at the end. Now I'm up to 145 (50s). Now, I'm not really all that much bigger, but I'm growing strength wise.

I do other workouts, I'm just highlighting one workout where using high weight is generating results quickly.

This post has been edited by JerseyPaint: 03 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

Are you agitating my dots? 10%
RIP HEMP/HEMD/PbF

#9 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

Yea high weight means high muscle. Also I find it important to burn out. Meaning on your last set, get your spotter to keep it at that hardest point in your press which is a few inches above your chest. So if you're pushing the weight up, he needs to put his body weight on it, and then as you start dropping it on you he spots you and makes you hold it there until it's pretty much just your spotter holding the weight. Rack the weight, rest and repeat a few times until your arms and chest feel like jelly. You know you did good when you go to push the door open at the gym to leave and your arm collapses and you have to push it open with your legs and shoulder. ;)

#10 User is offline   Malu 

• VSC Phantom Owner
  • PipPip

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on May 3 2010, 02:26 PM, said:

Bench press 225lbs
35 pull-ups
120 push ups (2 mins)
180 sit ups (2 mins)
8 min 500m swim
16:30 min 3-mile run

Right now I'm at:
135lbs
22 pull ups
105 push ups
115 sit ups
10:36 500m swim
19:09 3-mile run

High weight low reps = more mass. I'm sure you already knew that though. As for the 180 sit ups in 2 min. I don't think it's possible. The best scores ever recorded on a PST are 120 sit ups. I don't know if yours are different but we have to go ALL the way up and ALL the way down. It's just not possible to do more than 1 per second if your doing them properly. It could be different for you. I take a different test, called the PST. We do this:

500 yd. swim (in at least 12:30)(sidestroke only)
10 min break
Push ups (2min)
2 min break
Sit ups (2 min)
2 min break
Pull ups (no time limit)
10 min break
1.5 mile run (in at least 11:00)

My scores are:

500 yd. swim (in at least 12:30) - 10:06
10 min break
Push ups (2min) - 62
2 min break
Sit ups (2 min) - 71
2 min break
Pull ups (no time limit) - 12
10 min break
1.5 mile run (in at least 11:00) - 10:55

My scores are still pathetic (my SEAL mentor makes sure I know this) but the push ups are extremely hard after that swim. The swim is a lot of arms, sidestroke only. My biggest issue is the amount of water I swallow in the pool. It kills me later. I have puked all over my local YMCA 5 different times. I'm in track, and fresh I can run a sub 10:00 1.5 mile no problem.

#11 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

Yea they're a combo of crunches and sit-ups. You get into standard sit-up position and cross your arms grabbing your biceps. You then have to sit up until they touch your legs while keeping your arms flat on your chest, and then your shoulder blades touching is down. The 3-mile time, sit ups, and pull-ups come from the score the company ironman had when my Gunny was in bootcamp. I was shooting for just perfect...like thats so bad and then he blows me away with these scores. (A perfect 300 for the USMC is 100 crunches, 18:00 3-mile, and 20 pull ups) I don't know the highest recorded crunches but this guy apparently did 180. I know the most pull-ups done by a recruit was 131 at Parris Island. Freaking ridiculous. :blink: And I think your "don't overtrain" mentality is hurting you. I don't know how long you've been at it, but I went from 9 to 22 pull ups in just over 3 months, and from 40 to 95 push ups in about two months. Breaking the 100 mark took a few weeks though. I do pull ups and push ups every other day alternating along with my weight training at the gym though. I just listen to my body, not some doctor. If its up for it, I'm up for it.

This post has been edited by HeadshotPhantom: 03 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

#12 User is offline   Malu 

• VSC Phantom Owner
  • PipPip

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on May 3 2010, 05:49 PM, said:

I know the most pull-ups done by a recruit was 131 at Parris Island. Freaking ridiculous. :blink: And I think your "don't overtrain" mentality is hurting you. I don't know how long you've been at it, but I went from 9 to 22 pull ups in just over 3 months, and from 40 to 95 push ups in about two months. Breaking the 100 mark took a few weeks though. I do pull ups and push ups every other day alternating along with my weight training at the gym though. I just listen to my body, not some doctor. If its up for it, I'm up for it.

Are your pull ups the same as ours? Mine is all the way up, hold 1 second, down, wait until I COMPLETELY stop swinging, repeat. If I am so much as moving in any way and I go back up it doesn't count. The SEALs can be real pricks, but they just make me better.

As for your pull ups, push ups, and sit ups. How did you do it? Care to show me what your program as far as the push/sit/pull workouts went? I know for a fact that if I were fresh and just dropped I could do around 80 push ups.

With such a number like that I also question the form involved. SEALs are so strict on form, I probably do around 80 push ups (and this is after swimming mind you) but the SEAL only counted 61. I have to touch the ground with my chest, back perfectly straight, head up, then go all the way up, repeat.

If your gains are legitimate that's very impressive. If that's all with proper form that's considered very respectable.

Also just to mess with you a bit, I took my test with a former Marine trying to switch over to the SEALs and I kicked his butt in the test. :D Okay okay, I didn't even beat him that badly but I still beat him! Those weak Marines! :o B) :)

This post has been edited by Malu: 03 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

#13 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

One recruiter can do 6 pull ups, our other can do 27...However I know no squid has ever bested the 131 mark ;). And yes Marines have to do dead-hang pull ups. We do not have to wait at the top or bottom however we cannot swing. At boot camp they have DIs on stools watching to make sure your chin went over and they have another DI watching your elbows and body movement. You get your chin over the bar, and lock your elbows out at the bottom as fast as possible without any body movement (kipping). For my military workout (the exercises I do to prepare for USMC) goes like this. I personally pair push ups and sit-ups and pull-ups and running.

When I'm crunched for time I do 2 supersets with 5 minutes rest in between supersets, for push-ups I do 3 max sets with a 25lb weight between my shoulder blades and resting 2 mins between sets, and 3 max sets of sit-ups with the 25 lb weight resting 2 mins between sets. Then I rest 5 minutes and repeat it all again. The key to gains as I'm sure you know is your max set is when you couldn't physically sit-up anymore or if there was a fire, you'd have to crawl out because you couldn't do a push up to stand back up, not when you get tired of doing the exercise.

I do the same for pull-ups and running except with a 20lb weight vest and I run a mile instead of 3-6. So I end up doing 6 sets of 20lb. pull ups and running 2x 20lb miles.

When I do have time...I do one max set of push ups. As many perfect form push ups as you can do without resting. Take that number and multiply it by 10. Now do that many reps in as few sets as possible. Do the same with sit-ups except....do your max for 30 seconds, multiply that number by 5, and do that many reps in as few sets as possible....with the 25lb weight. I actually prefer to use the 15lb weight just because my body mass holds its form better. I physically can't counterbalance that much weight simply because I weigh 130lbs. However if I have a good hour to kill I'll grab the 25lb weight and do my max times 10. Usually I have to quit simply because 500 reps with 25lbs starts wearing me down to where I do like 5 and have to rest a whole minute.

For pull-ups use the same formula as the push-ups. For running, well it's up to you. Some days I feel like running 6 miles some days I feel like running 2. Regardless of how far I run, I make sure it hurts the same. If I'm running just 2 miles I'm booking it. I RUN the first mile, and go back to like my 6 mile pace to catch my breath for two laps, then speed up the next lap, and all out sprint the last lap. You know you're doing it right when you collapse in the grass and people think you're having an asthma attack because your breathing so hard. :laugh:

I swim on the weekends as not to overload my chest.

Recently I've been doing more high weight training to bulk up for the beach ;) but also when I start going back to high endurance, I'll retain a lot of that strength while losing the mass.

This post has been edited by HeadshotPhantom: 03 May 2010 - 05:13 PM

#14 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:31 PM

what i dont understand is how you guys can do that many push ups...ive been doing pushups for about 2 years, about 3 sets a day every other day usually...and most i can get is 30-40 before my elbows give out. But i can do 25-30 pullups like its cake, i think its a just i have weak joints, because my arms are pretty workedout from benching high weights every other day, so i know i should be able to get more pushups...i only weigh 160...idk i want to get to atleast 60 pushups
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Soyeahwatsup 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SGTWHITEY

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

If you really want to know how many pushups you can do just stop weightlifting for a couple of days and do some pushups after the two day break of no upperbody training.

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users