Special Ops Paintball: Blackleaf Outfitters' Ban-du - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blackleaf Outfitters' Ban-du A headwrap with substance.

#1 User is offline   VVulfe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:27 AM

For those of you who haven't run across it yet, the Ban-du is a head-wrap offered by Blackleaf Outfitters. I stumbled upon the company on A5OG, and when I finally decided to replace the junky little cotton headwrap I got at my local Army/Navy store, I turned my attention to the Ban-du.

After the lousy wrap I used to sport, I was looking for a few things:

-Comfotable, non-headache inducing fit.
-Remaining in place during play.
-Protection from the elements and from paint.
-Easy clean up.
-Durability.

I ordered my Ban-du in Woodland, as that's what I'm currently sporting, but there are a number of camo- and non-camo options available and Sam - the owner of Blackleaf - has said he takes custom orders provided he can get the requested materials.

Less than a week after I ordered it, my Ban-du arrived on my doorstep. Blackleaf stayed in touch with me throughout - and if I were to end the review here, the one thing I would say about the company is that it has phenomenal customer service.

But I'm not.

So, I cracked open the box and took a look. (That's a 12" ruler, to give you an idea of the scale of the Ban-du)

Posted Image

The material is legitimate cloth, not the nearly-tissue stuff of my cheaper head-wraps, and it's more than generous in portion. The headband and ties appear to be doubled over, and feel nicely padded - although I'm not sure if this is a result of the doubling, or if there's padding inside.

I tossed it over my head, tied the flaps, and pulled the cloth taut, leaving me with this:

Posted Image

And from the back:

Posted Image

As you can see, it doesn't increase my profile, but gives more than enough coverage from sun, weather, and impact to the back of my head and neck. And I have a large head - large enough certain of my teammates claim I affect the tides. Not that I'm bitter.

Anyway.

Not having to stretch and strain the tiny little square of cloth that was my old cover was pleasant, and the resulting fit was both secure and comfortable.

The Ban-du is machine washable.

So? Did it meet my needs?

Comfotable, non-headache inducing fit?
-Yup. More than enough cloth that you don't end up squeezing it around your head.

Remaining in place during play?
-Yes. The broad ties keep the Ban-du quite secure.

Protection from the elements and from paint?
-Both, in ample quantities. I was particularly impressed by the amount of cover over the back of my neck, especially because while generous, it's loose enough that it doesn't feel close or choking along my back.

Easy clean up?
-Machine washable.

Durability?
-Well, this has yet to be tested, as I've had my Ban-du only a few days. But, on initial inspection, its crafting certainly seems to promise longevity.

Other notes?
-Impeccable customer service.

Weaknesses?
-The only potential weakness I see in the Ban-du is that it's made of thick enough cloth that it may be uncomfortably warm depending on the time of year and the location in which you play. Then again, if this is a concern, I suggest you talk to someone at Blackleaf and see if they can use a material more suited to your environment. That, or soak the Ban-du in water.

Conclusion:

As head-wraps go, the Ban-du is hands-down the best I've seen. At $15, it's an incredibly good deal.

This post has been edited by VVulfe: 16 September 2007 - 10:35 AM

#2 User is offline   shartley 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:33 AM

Thank you for the review. For clarification on a couple points though... the band itself is not padded. There is however a pocket between the band and the head covering that has double layer sweat strip in it.

And as for the weight of the fabric, I do indeed use the genuine fabric used by the Military or Hunters in my products. I use the best weight in those fabrics as I can for the ban-du, but some camo fabrics will be "heavier" than others. I however do not use fabrics that are so heavy that I feel they will be unsuitable for the product. For instance the MARPAT and Tiger Stripe fabrics I get are too heavy for the tops, so I use them for the bands only and make the tops out of a lighter weight solid color that compliments the camo pattern.

But customers can always contact me before ordering any product and discuss their exact needs. In most cases I can accommodate what they need if it isn't already standard for me.

Again, thank you for the review.
“It is easier to blow out a match than it is to control a forest fire.” - Me
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
IPB Image

#3 User is offline   russc 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:34 PM

I've bought three of the Ban-dus and I've been pleased every time. They are hands down the best head accessory you can buy for the money.

#4 User is offline   shartley 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:50 AM

View Postrussc, on Nov 22 2007, 12:34 PM, said:

I've bought three of the Ban-dus and I've been pleased every time. They are hands down the best head accessory you can buy for the money.

Thank you. I am glad you like them. I will not play a game without mine. :o
“It is easier to blow out a match than it is to control a forest fire.” - Me
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
IPB Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users