Special Ops Paintball: 98 Custom vs. Alpha Black - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

98 Custom vs. Alpha Black Rate Topic: -----

Poll: 98 Custom vs Alpha Black (79 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is the superior marker and why? (normal play)

1. 98 Custom (57 votes [72.15%])

Percentage of vote: 72.15%

2. Alpha Black (22 votes [27.85%])

Percentage of vote: 27.85%

Which is the superior marker and why? (sniper)

1. 98 Custom (66 votes [83.54%])

Percentage of vote: 83.54%

2. Alpha Black (13 votes [16.46%])

Percentage of vote: 16.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

• Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

The 98 is the supirior marker on the field whether your leading the charge out in front our staging an ambush. Its accurate, its consistent, and its customizeable. The thing is though, is that its your choice, You could really prefer the Alpha Black. Its all about personal preference. :happy:

~~The Horde~~ :)
"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton

#17 User is offline   Match99 

• Hmph. He tried to take me marker.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

I have revamped my opinion. I'd rather buy an Alpha Black Tactical with E-grip. But both are inferior to an SP-1/ Vibe.

#18 User is offline   Perinhawk 

• Will Work for Paintball Cash :)
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Perinhawk

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

I own a 98 and my dad has an Alpha Black (I have tested it and used it in games), and I really think that the 98 is superior as far as customization and upgradability. It has the same internals as the AB, but if the Alpha doesn't fit your style, you can't change much. They have Egrip, cyclone feed (which I might add is more expensive than teh one for the 98c), any 98c barrel, and powertube/bolt but that's it. The Alpha has a cast mag well, ironsight, and single finger trigger guard, so those can't be removed or added to without a machine shop. This is a milsim 98c without the 98's customizability, but if you can get a good price for it and milsim is your thing, go for it! I suppose Tippmann (I know it's on the US ARMY Paintball website, but right on the website, it says "powered by Tippmann", plus this thing has 98c internals) wanted to make a marker for milsim players that can't afford a SIM-4 or a BT Ironhorse, or the $150 it takes to make a 98 look like it.

This post has been edited by Perinhawk: 06 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

"Paintball is my art, and your mask is my canvas"- Me
Addicted to Paint

#19 User is offline   Match99 

• Hmph. He tried to take me marker.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

I see upgradability somewhat as a bad trait... if you need to upgrade so much clearly it wasn't very good to begin with.

#20 User is offline   Urban Ninja 

• To conquer fear, you must become fear.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Urban Ninja

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

Well, the 98 really isn't the greatest gun ever, it was just built as a solid base to start your paintballing career on. it's cheap enough and effective enough for beginner players, and that's the point. The upgrades are for those beginners as they grow, but maybe don't want to buy a new gun, so taht they can just get by. And a lot of the tippy "upgrades" are more of customization, you know, looks and feel sorta things.

As for 98 vs Alpha Black, I'm going with the 98. They are basically the same gun, just obviously, the 98 has more upgrades, and is all around more customizable. Now, you cant reall dwell on this too much, because for the 98, the only things you can reall upgrade is getting some cool shrouded barrel/new barrel, which you can also do for the AB, get a stock, same for AB, internals, they both have the same, cyclone, whoch they can both get, and then sights, new trigger(double trigger e.g.) which are basically just the 98. In all reality, jsut about everything for the 98 goes for the Alpha Black, so there isnt really that much of a difference in customization. Now, when i used an Alpha Black, there were a few things i noticed. I like the feel of it, pretty snazzy lol, im not the biggest fan of the Thompson-style 98 design, but whatever. I like both, and the AB felt good in my hands. Now, the Alpha Black(imo) is heavier than the 98. Maybe it was jsut the setup difference between my 98 and my friend's dad's AB, but i know that barrel looks like its made outta some think metal. Also, the one problem I'd have, is that the AB wouldnt fire for some reason sometimes. I was using a shake n' shoot, but i shook it and it still wouldn't fire. this was expecially odd, cause my friend's dad keep his gun in way better condition than I do mine, and I think I've only had to shake the 98 once or twice becasue it got stuck. just an odd occurence that i didnt like.

So, I say the 98 because I, personally, prefer it, that stupid jam thing that happened, weight, and those few upgrades that aren't available for the AB.
Think of the AB as a pony that can do backflips and like run on water, and teh 98 is that same pony, but with a jetpack. just a slight difference.

Sincerely, Urban Ninja

#21 User is offline   afnav2011 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

I used to own a 98c and now I own a ABT. They both perform the same so what it really comes down to is how you want your marker to look. The AB is already set up as a M4 so if that's how you wanted to look, then you're pretty much set. The AB also has the tools in the magazine which fits into the gun so you don't lose track of those pesky allen wrenches or, if for whatever reason you need them on the field, they are available right there. The 98s offer more choices in how you want the gun to look but you have to pay for all those aftermarket parts.

The AB costs much less then the 98c because it is produced in China. It is about a $50-60 price difference between the two new. The AB also accepts many Tippmann upgrades just like the 98s (Cyclone feeder, E-trigger, ACT).

It really comes down to the user and their needs. The upgrades are available for both guns, but the AB is cheaper.
USAF ROTC

#22 User is offline   Wrzesinski 

• Gives his $.02
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wrzesinski

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:26 PM

if you want an m4, go alpha black, if you want anything else, get a 98. they perform about equal, the ab has a lot less [asthetic] upgrades because it is already decked out.
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.
Being too awesome :P

Who has the best girlfriend in the whole wide world? ME!

#23 User is offline   thrasher_565 

• Paintball
  • Pip

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

The 98,a5,x7,Bt, GRYPHON, VALKEN-SW1,and other markers look alike use almost the same parts it's the same thing. I do agree 98 have hundreds of upgrades but you can get cared away with upgrading it. but ill tell you most paintball markers shoot the same about 135 feet and it's hard to say witch is better and people will still argue there's is better. Most people buy a marker looking at looks, weight, Price, Sound. If you want a .50 cal make it a .50 cal. when ied play at my field there was this one guy that used an piranha (probably with a spring job) and an AA barrel that's it. well he got me every time only because he no's his marker and what it can do and every match he'd take it apart and clean it.

This post has been edited by thrasher_565: 05 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

#24 User is offline   voltron 

• Let us gingerly touch our tips
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:mysterguy

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:19 AM

Two year necropost ftw
Furthermore - if you are "deuce-ing" during a game, you have more things to worry about than camo kneepads. -ger

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave the world wondering how the hell you did it.

I wonder if I could turn one of those "Rascal" scooter thingies into an old-guy paintball tank? -Violator

#25 User is offline   oldhunter 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:smoke guarde

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:11 AM

Why not. You responded.
repugno nex est morior inritus

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic