Special Ops Paintball: Wifi Connection Help - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wifi Connection Help Calling all computer geeks and engineers! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Incognito 

• Using Less Than 100 Paintballs A Day
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

Here's my issue: I have a wifi internet connection on my computer. Problem is, my computer is a floor above the router, and the signal isn't too strong. Is there a cheap way to boost the signal? I was thinking I could tape one of my Amateur Radio antennas to the wifi antenna and try to get a stronger signal that way. Would that remedy the problem?

Thanks in advance.
~Quip~
~Christian Paintballer~CPPA Member #3565~Stock Class Paintballer~Automaggot~My Feedback
Posted Image
The Family: VSC Phantom, PGP, Classic Automag, Autococker, Pumpcocker
U.S. Army Infantry: Because Someone Needs to Take Out the Trash

#2 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

Have you looked into your router's settings yet? My Netgear has an option that increases broadcast strength and range, you just have to enable it. Only downside is not only will it reach you better, but it will reach further out of your home/condo/apt whatever as well.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#3 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

hmmm....eerily similar problem....heres you answer.

#4 User is offline   Incognito 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

View PostLegato, on Jan 2 2009, 09:54 PM, said:

Have you looked into your router's settings yet? My Netgear has an option that increases broadcast strength and range, you just have to enable it. Only downside is not only will it reach you better, but it will reach further out of your home/condo/apt whatever as well.

Legato, I have a Netgear router. How would I go about enabling that setting?

~Quip~
~Christian Paintballer~CPPA Member #3565~Stock Class Paintballer~Automaggot~My Feedback
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

Log into your router, then go to wireless settings. Then check off the box next to "Enable eXtended Range(XR) Feature". That's what it is called in mine.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#6 User is offline   Incognito 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

My router does not have that feature, unfortunately. It is a WGR614v6, so I don't know if it's the same as yours or not.

Cesar, that website talks about a directional antenna. I need something multi-directional. Is it possible to just simply duct tape a longer antenna to the existing antenna?

~Quip~
Posted Image

#7 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

View PostQuip, on Jan 2 2009, 10:47 PM, said:

My router does not have that feature, unfortunately. It is a WGR614v6, so I don't know if it's the same as yours or not.

Cesar, that website talks about a directional antenna. I need something multi-directional. Is it possible to just simply duct tape a longer antenna to the existing antenna?

~Quip~

:D ...ummm...im not sure it would quite work that way.....is there another location you can place your router?

#8 User is offline   ClumsyNinja 

• Eschew Obfuscation
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Grimace

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

you can look into getting a wireless bridge, and place that somewhere between your router and your wireless pc

edit: this is the kinda thing I'm talking about:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833314030

maybe this?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833180035

This post has been edited by ClumsyNinja: 03 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

"Hi, I'm not the local nut, but ClumsyNinja is..."--Styro

CONFESSIONS OF AN ARMCHAIR NINJA..NOWUPDATED!!

#9 User is offline   Shalendar 

• The kittens of my bone marrow are pleased
  • PipPip

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

i was about to recommend a similar wifi directional reflector dish, but i guess that wont work.
newegg doesnt give a range but it should be more then one floor. to my knowledge all routers should have settings.

would you consider replacing that router?

"thats my goal, get sigged by everybody on the forums" - Spades -- "who knows when I'll need a barrel in my ASA?" - MIR Sniper
3 types of people in the world: Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs. I am a Sheepdog. -- My feedback (+3/-0)

#10 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:20 PM

View PostQuip, on Jan 3 2009, 02:47 AM, said:

Here's my issue: I have a wifi internet connection on my computer. Problem is, my computer is a floor above the router, and the signal isn't too strong. Is there a cheap way to boost the signal? I was thinking I could tape one of my Amateur Radio antennas to the wifi antenna and try to get a stronger signal that way. Would that remedy the problem?

Thanks in advance.
~Quip~

It is theoretically possible to fit your antenna. Try it and find out.

The free option is to relocate / adjust antennae.
Try switching between pointing antennae directly at each other and placing them in a parrallel manner, ( instead of ---> <--- try I I )

Look for anything else inbetween such as cupboards and their contents that may affect the signal.
What kind of wireless receiver are you using, e.g. internal or USB? An option that can have good effect is to put a USB receiver on a long extention cable, or a couple of USB cables and you can see if repositioning or pointing in a different direction make a difference.

If none of this helps consider the booster / bridge option - or lay an ethernet cable from the router to upstairs.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users