Special Ops Paintball: pistol help real guns - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pistol help real guns Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   shibs251 

• Pain Heals, Chicks Dig Scars, Glory Lasts Forever!
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:shibs251

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

I know theres been a few threads like this but none on them helped me all that much so heres another one.

Im looking to buy pistol preferably .45 ACP but id probably be willing to get a 9 or .40 when it comes down to it. I havnt been up to the gunshop yet to get a feel for anything but theres a couple pistols ive been looking at.
a springfield 1911-A1
http://www.springfie...y.php?version=1
springfield xd
http://www.springfie.../xd.php?model=1
a berreta 96
http://www.berettaus...istols_main.htm
or a berreta Px4 storm
http://www.berettaus...istols_main.htm
Still not sure which one i want but im leaning towards the 1911, like i said i havnt held or shot any of them yet, im just looking for seggestions and just general help
My budget would be about $600 max im thinking, it would be for self defense, a carry pistol pretty much, not neccicarily concealed, but probably would be. I prefer metal to plastic pistols but id still use one.

This post has been edited by shibs251: 26 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

In you face then your base

Pain Heals, Chicks Dig Scars, Glory Lasts Forever!

#2 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:54 PM

Here are a couple of questions to help us find a better firearm for you.

1. Why are you getting the pistol? Home Defense? Concealed Carry? Target shooting? Just to have one?
2. Do you have a budget? If so, what's your budget? How long can you wait to get it?
3. Do you have any brand preferences? (I.E. Do you prefer the feel of Glocks over H&K USPs?)

Edit: Even if you're looking for general advice, if we know what you're looking for, we can help guide you in the right direction.

This post has been edited by deusexmachina55: 26 March 2008 - 01:58 PM

#3 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

Its all about what you want it for. I like S&W's, and Beretta's are nice too

This post has been edited by -SMITTY-: 26 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

#4 User is offline   shibs251 

• Pain Heals, Chicks Dig Scars, Glory Lasts Forever!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:shibs251

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

yea sorry i meant to add more but i got distracted by something and forgot ill edit it

In you face then your base

Pain Heals, Chicks Dig Scars, Glory Lasts Forever!

#5 User is offline   kubihibi 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kubihibi

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

Springfield Armory guns are made in Brazil, and way overpriced. Barettas are OK, the military uses them... but I don't like them at work so I wouldn't buy one for home.

Ruger makes great guns, alot of LF guys like Sigs, HKs, and S&Ws.

BUT

You should hold them, and if you are lucky enough shoot the model you are thinking of. Then weigh it against the cost.
I picked up my P345 for 350 brand new from a local pawn shop/gun dealer, and it rocks.

#6 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

If you're anywhere in the Springfield MA area, you can go to the Smith and Wesson shooting Sports center, and try out any S&W model you like in their indoor range.

#7 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

I've always liked the M92 so I'd opt for a 92FS myself and use hollow points. A .45 is a big gun to try and carry concealed, let alone a 1911. The Beretta Px4 Storm would most likely be the easiest to conceal and also the cheapest to buy, so I guess that I'd go with that in .40 S&W or in 9MM and use hollow points. The 96 is the 40S&W version of the 92, but for concealed carry I'm not sure it would be that good of a choice.

My order of how I would rank them for carry.

Beretta Px4 Storm
Beretta 96
Springfield XD
Springfield 1911-A1

However, that is the order I prefer them and not you. Like others have said, you really need to handle each before buying.

#8 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:35 PM

I have the XD, and I've handled the Beretta candidates. I cannot come up with something bad about the XD.

Now, the biggest thing that matters with handguns is that it fits your hand well. This is something we cannot help you with. The solution is to go to the gun store and try holding different handguns.

That's just my two cents on the subject.

View Postkubihibi, on Mar 26 2008, 02:08 PM, said:

Springfield Armory guns are made in Brazil, and way overpriced.

Springfield XD is Croatian, Springfield EMP is Italian, and I don't know about the others since I haven't gotten to examine one before.

Taurus is the main Brazilian gun company, and they do make 1911 style guns.
Member of Team Akkadian

#9 User is offline   dislexiclawyer 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

View Postkubihibi, on Mar 26 2008, 04:08 PM, said:

Springfield Armory guns are made in Brazil, and way overpriced. Berettas are OK, the military uses them... but I don't like them at work so I wouldn't buy one for home.

A lot of their parts are made at their Imbel factory in Brazil. Some of the lower tier models (Mil-spec, GI, etc.) are assembled there while some of the higher grade models are assembled here in the states. That being said there is nothing wrong with their guns at all. They are reliable, very well built, and have a great reputation. Both my brother and I own Springfield guns and are very satisfied.

View PostWeigel21, on Mar 26 2008, 05:03 PM, said:

I've always liked the M92 so I'd opt for a 92FS myself and use hollow points. A .45 is a big gun to try and carry concealed, let alone a 1911.

The 1911 is actually a very easy gun to conceal. Its thin profile makes for a very good platform to carry. Also it really isn't that large of a gun, my 92FS is larger than my 1911.

With all that being said I love both my Beretta 92FS(9mm) and my Springfield 1911. I do like the 1911 more though. I have had no malfunctions with it and I really like the feel of it better. The Beretta is a solid handgun as well but for me the 1911 is where its at. Now on to advice. You should really hold and try and shoot all of the guns you are considering. Then get the gun that you are most comfortable shooting. It would be no good to get a certain gun just for the sake of having one and totally hate it and how it feels and shoots.

#10 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:23 PM

View Postdislexiclawyer, on Mar 26 2008, 05:59 PM, said:

View Postkubihibi, on Mar 26 2008, 04:08 PM, said:

Springfield Armory guns are made in Brazil, and way overpriced. Berettas are OK, the military uses them... but I don't like them at work so I wouldn't buy one for home.

A lot of their parts are made at their Imbel factory in Brazil. Some of the lower tier models (Mil-spec, GI, etc.) are assembled there while some of the higher grade models are assembled here in the states. That being said there is nothing wrong with their guns at all. They are reliable, very well built, and have a great reputation. Both my brother and I own Springfield guns and are very satisfied.

View PostWeigel21, on Mar 26 2008, 05:03 PM, said:

I've always liked the M92 so I'd opt for a 92FS myself and use hollow points. A .45 is a big gun to try and carry concealed, let alone a 1911.

The 1911 is actually a very easy gun to conceal. Its thin profile makes for a very good platform to carry. Also it really isn't that large of a gun, my 92FS is larger than my 1911.

With all that being said I love both my Beretta 92FS(9mm) and my Springfield 1911. I do like the 1911 more though. I have had no malfunctions with it and I really like the feel of it better. The Beretta is a solid handgun as well but for me the 1911 is where its at. Now on to advice. You should really hold and try and shoot all of the guns you are considering. Then get the gun that you are most comfortable shooting. It would be no good to get a certain gun just for the sake of having one and totally hate it and how it feels and shoots.

Really? I thought the 1911 was longer and taller. I forgot that it would be narrower since it's got a single stacked clip compared to the double stacked clip in the Beretta. I've held a M9 and a 92FS, never fired either however, and both fit in my hand very nicely. The M9 was my brother-in-laws, he has short stubby fingers so the M9 didn't fit in his hand very well at all, but he really liked the way it shot, or so he says. The 92FS belonged to a friend of my father who was a part time officer, he didn't seem impressed with it, but he didn't seem displeased either. Never handled a 1911 or any .45, so I guess I shouldn't have said they would be hard to conceal.

#11 User is offline   dislexiclawyer 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

View PostWeigel21, on Mar 26 2008, 08:23 PM, said:

Really? I thought the 1911 was longer and taller. I forgot that it would be narrower since it's got a single stacked clip compared to the double stacked clip in the Beretta. I've held a M9 and a 92FS, never fired either however, and both fit in my hand very nicely. The M9 was my brother-in-laws, he has short stubby fingers so the M9 didn't fit in his hand very well at all, but he really liked the way it shot, or so he says. The 92FS belonged to a friend of my father who was a part time officer, he didn't seem impressed with it, but he didn't seem displeased either. Never handled a 1911 or any .45, so I guess I shouldn't have said they would be hard to conceal.

My 1911 is a little bit taller (bottom of grip to top of sights) than my 92 only because it has an extended magwell. I have a feeling that your average 1911 would be just about even with the Beretta height wise. (this is w/o magazines in either pistol and not including the lanyard loop on the 92) And they are pretty much the exact same length going from the tip of the "beavertail" of the grip to the front of the barrel. But since the 92 is a double stacked pistol it does have larger grip. I think for women and people with smaller hands/fingers it may be harder to hold. There isn't really too bad of recoil on the 92, but then again I don't notice much with the 1911 either. Both are great guns but i think the 1911 is a little easier to conceal, plus I have had a couple of malfunctions w/ my 92 (magazine and ammo related) so I would feel safer with the 1911 on my side. Not to say that you couldn't carry a 92 I just feel more comfortable, both physically and mentally with the 1911.

#12 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:52 AM

I vote for the 1911. It's slim and will be very easy to carry.

Make sure you get a permit first... Or just don't get caught.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   evillepaintball 

• You won't do it! You ain't crazy!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sunshine ac-05

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:28 AM

I'd recommend a compact 1911 model as it would be the easiest to conceal. if you are looking for a full sized, double stack, then i'd recommend looking into a S&W M&P in .40 or .45
"it just doesnt look cool unless you're riding a yamazuki zx1200rrr" - C9H13NO3

#14 User is offline   Zigganator 

• Team Ace Commander
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:ZIGGANATOR

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:58 AM

I too would have to recommend the 1911 out of your choices here. If you are looking for something else check out the walther collection. They might be a little out of your price range but they are definitely worth taking a look at.

#15 User is offline   snipin'since88 

• TEUFELHUNDEN
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:snipinsince88

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:38 AM

or go with sig sauer.... i happen to have a 220 and love it. i want a 250 but thats later on down the road. i also have a colt commander (1911), love that too. have a golck 30 also and hate it. before you buy any pistol make sure the gun fits your hand/wrist. meaning when you have the gun at your side, bring it up to a spot somewhere on the wall. if the gun barrel is pointed up or down its not the gun for you. for me and most of everyone, glocks point up. thats why i like 1911's and sig sauers. springfield armory is an outstanding choice.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatal...x?categoryid=54
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatal...px?categoryid=6
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatal...x?categoryid=25

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users