• You cannot reply to this topic

Clip-fed Milsim Opinions? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

I just started last year with my 98C and I loooove paintball already. Honestly, I've played a ton of sports and I've NEVER been so excited to get back into it (curse winter and school)! I saw being advertised on a Canadian Paintball site (paintballgear.ca) MILSIG guns - and I thought that would be extremely cool to try in years to come when I have more time (and hopefully!) money.

However, I expect it would not be practical to bring a clip-fed marker...at least to scenario games.

So I guess I just answered my own question about practicality, because I can always bring my 98C out to a scenario xD

Anyways, what are your opinions on clip-fed markers and the like? I'd be pumped if I found a CQB type place in Edmonton area like this: http://www.c-q-b.ca/

#2 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

Clip fed is like pump play. Some people just like that style. There's no right or wrong as long as you have fun.

#3 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

View Postslinkyaroo, on Feb 9 2010, 04:51 PM, said:

Clip fed is like pump play. Some people just like that style. There's no right or wrong as long as you have fun.

Any idea how long it takes to load a mag up with paint? Does it come with practice, like anything?
I suppose I'd need specialized MOLLE Pouches for clips too :o

#4 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

Not sure on the Milsig magazines, but I can reload a Tiberius 8 magazine using a ten-round tube and a little practice fairly quickly.

Realistically though, magazine fed markers aren't designed with reloading the single mag over and over - they were designed so you would have several magazines and reload by switching them out. Ideally, you have enough magazines to get you through one game without having to load paint into empty magazines (obviously, all day scenarios don't function quite that way and you should plan on reloading those mags)

Magazine fed markers are a whole lot of fun.

You can get specialized pouches for the Tiberius magazines (or TPX magazines), but I'm fairly sure standard old mag pouches for AR15s/M4s will work for the milsig magazines. And they're fairly easy to come by.
Member of Team Akkadian

#5 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

View PostThalion, on Feb 9 2010, 05:19 PM, said:

Not sure on the Milsig magazines, but I can reload a Tiberius 8 magazine using a ten-round tube and a little practice fairly quickly.

Realistically though, magazine fed markers aren't designed with reloading the single mag over and over - they were designed so you would have several magazines and reload by switching them out. Ideally, you have enough magazines to get you through one game without having to load paint into empty magazines (obviously, all day scenarios don't function quite that way and you should plan on reloading those mags)

Magazine fed markers are a whole lot of fun.

You can get specialized pouches for the Tiberius magazines (or TPX magazines), but I'm fairly sure standard old mag pouches for AR15s/M4s will work for the milsig magazines. And they're fairly easy to come by.

I was thinking more along the lines of between games, but thanks :o I think the MILSIG clips took 18 rounds or something, but I'm not sure how they function (springs push platform upwards?) in putting the paint in the marker. I was kind of wondering if I'd be pushing the inner clip spring down or something (again, no idea of how paintball clips function).

What sucks is how expensive clips are >< ... but I think the 13CI stocks are sweet, it'd be cool with no hopper/remote line :facepalm:

#6 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

The T8 magazines can quickly loaded because you can pull the spring down with your thumb.

I don't think the Milsig ones work that way, so you probably have to handload them one ball at a time.
Member of Team Akkadian

#7 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

View PostThalion, on Feb 9 2010, 06:06 PM, said:

The T8 magazines can quickly loaded because you can pull the spring down with your thumb.

I don't think the Milsig ones work that way, so you probably have to handload them one ball at a time.

Another thought: has anyone ever tried the MILSIG Rifled Barrel? I always read people say rifling is a myth, but all/most of the reviews I've read of the Tippmann Straightline in particular give it great ratings.

I remember reading somewhere the rifling doesn't work through "direct contact" persay, but by spinning the ball as it moves through the barrel using pressurized air (re: Straightline).

Also: has anyone tried the regular, included MILSIG barrel?

#8 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

Don't know about either milsig barrel specifically.

Rifling is a myth paintball wise. That's not to say a rifled barrel will automatically be a bad one either (Hammerhead makes some pretty decent barrels that happen to be rifled).

Honestly, I don't think the rifling in a paintball barrel actually does anything either way - it's not significant enough for any real effect.
Member of Team Akkadian

#9 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:44 PM

View PostThalion, on Feb 9 2010, 06:27 PM, said:

Don't know about either milsig barrel specifically.

Rifling is a myth paintball wise. That's not to say a rifled barrel will automatically be a bad one either (Hammerhead makes some pretty decent barrels that happen to be rifled).

Honestly, I don't think the rifling in a paintball barrel actually does anything either way - it's not significant enough for any real effect.

I suppose - looking at this video it has SOME spin...but doesn't appear to be the sideways spin one would want.
What I would want to see is if it KEEPS spinning further than a foot from the gun :P

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6zt0TKvL19Q

#10 User is offline   medic67 

• MEDIC!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Medic67

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

That's the only way I play, other than using a 50 round hopper on the TM7.
I play all types of paintball with a milsig elite and T8.1, I find it more interesting and more cost effective also.

#11 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:20 AM

View Postmedic67, on Feb 9 2010, 09:38 PM, said:

That's the only way I play, other than using a 50 round hopper on the TM7.
I play all types of paintball with a milsig elite and T8.1, I find it more interesting and more cost effective also.

Haha in the long run anyway - problem is I don't have the cash for an initial investment that large :o

#12 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:37 AM

If everyone else is using larger feeders or loaders, you might be putting yourself at some disadvantage, but the challenge might be worth it. Having to reload more often forces you to think more tactically.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:56 AM

View PostWarpaint, on Feb 10 2010, 07:37 AM, said:

If everyone else is using larger feeders or loaders, you might be putting yourself at some disadvantage, but the challenge might be worth it. Having to reload more often forces you to think more tactically.

Haha ohhhh they will be :comp: I think it'd be sweet during casual play just not so much during a large scenario.

#14 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:59 AM

Actually, the larger the game, the more fun I tend to have with limited paint, because you have more people that can give you the needed cover fire and the team disadvantage for your minimal paint load decreases.
Member of Team Akkadian

#15 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

It's too bad you're in Alberta-there's a place called CQB in Toronto that runs uber-milsim games and offers Milsigs as rentals. The place is awesome-130 rounds per game, semi-only, milsim only, the whole run if you're into milsim.

Anyways, I've played with a Milsig a few times, and play pump almost all the time, so I'll tell you this-there's a very, very steep learning curve, but once you beat that curve, it's an absolute riot. Milsigs are also very well-made guns, they're about the epitome of the inline blowback. As for playing with 17 rounds in a scenario game...I've played 2 OK D-Day minigames (Which aren't very mini, probably pushing 1000 players in those games) with just my PMI-1, and play the main D-Day game (3000-4000 players) with a mag-fed and an AT gun, both of which are very limited paint. However, I wouldn't jump right into that size to begin with.

Still, Milsigs are a riot. If you have the money and the desire, definitely go for it.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users