Special Ops Paintball: How To: DIY Lapco QEPH (lots of pics) - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To: DIY Lapco QEPH (lots of pics)

#1 User is offline   KRA SHARPSHOOTER 

• [ Doglegs of War ] ~Silent But Deadly~
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:KRA SHARPSHOOTER

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

Added:
What does a QEPH do?
QEPH = Quick Exhaust Piston Housing

A QEPH is designed to vent the pressure in front of the piston during the piston stroke and behind the piston on the back stoke. Venting the air in front of the piston during the front stroke means that you won't need as much presssure to advance the piston. By venting the air behind the piston you allow it to return faster. This yields a higher Rate of Fire. The o-ring keeps junk(dirt, paint, water, etc.) out of the Piston Housing. The groove that I show you how to cut will keep the o-ring in place so that it doesn't move during play.

--------------------

I was cleaning out my gear box the other day, and noticed that I had two spare Piston Housings. I was deeply infected with modding syndrom, so I decided to attempt a vented piston housing with an o-ring covering the holes just like the Lapco QEPH has. I noticed right off, that a tank o-ring was almost a perfect size to fit around the stock piston housing. This is great because anyone that is really into paintball has at least 2 unopened bags of these. :D

I would like to thank sect8echo for his help on getting some pictures for me.

Posted Image

What I used:
  • Stock Piston Housing
  • Standard Tank O-ring
  • Pipe Cutter
  • Small Grinder
  • Small File
  • Drill Press
  • Wooden Dowel
  • Sandpaper
  • Time, Patience, and preferably warm hands...(it was -4F when I made mine.)
^^Feel free to be creative if you do not have the tools that I listed above.

I started out by marking the Piston Housing(PH) at 1 7/8ths inch from the cyclone end. This is were the venting in on the Lapco QEPH.

Posted Image

Next I took pipe cutters and made a scribe mark on the PH. This will ensure that you have a perfectly straight line. Be careful not to make this cut to deep. It just needs to be deep enough that the grinder can follow the mark.

Posted Image

Time to grind away! I am using a little bench to grinder. It is perfect for these little mods. :)

Posted Image

Start out nice and slow. There is no need to rush this step. The more time you take, and less pressure you use, the more even your groove will be.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once you have a groove that looks pretty close to the above picture, take a small file, and file off any burs that may be on the PH. This will make drilling a little easier.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you have a drill press you're all set. If not, you will need to take extra care in ensuring that you drill nice and straight holes.

Posted Image

The drill bit I used was a 3/32 inch bit. I based the size off my RAP4 QEPH which has 3/32 inch holes. I think this is a little bit bigger than the holes on the Lapco QEPH, but I didn't have the Lapco QEPH in my posetion.

I found a wood dowel that was just the right size to fit inside the PH. This helpped keep burs out of the inside of the PH. If you don't have a dowel, it shouldn't be to big of a sweat. You will just need to spend a little more time sanding the inside.

To drill, just start out slow and even. The bit should slide into the metal without to much effort. I went all the way through the dowel and the other side of the PH. This way you get two perfectly striaght holes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I used a nail to ensure that my second set of holes were perfectly centered.

NOTICE: REMOVE THE NAIL BEFORE DRILLING!

Posted Image

You will drill 4 times total. This will get you 8 holes on your PH. Drill the first set. Rotate the PH 90 degree, and drill the second set of holes. Rotate the PH 45 degrees so that you are drilling between your first and second set of holes. Then rotate it 90 degrees and drill the last hole in the last spot.

Posted Image

After you are finished drilling, you should have something like this:

Posted Image

If you used a dowel, you should have almost no burs on the inside:

Posted Image

Here is the time consuming task; Sanding it smooth. I started by sanding out what little burs there were on the inside. I wanted to get it nice and smooth, so I used 600, 800, 1000, 1500, & 2000 grit sand paper. You probably don't need to use quite this many grits. I would think using just 800 & 1000 will get you decent results. Of course you will get better results the more grits you use, and the fewer sizes that you skip.

Posted Image

Once I was finished with the inside, I took the file and removed as many of the burs that I could on the out side. Once I had the bulk of the burs cut out I took the sandpaper and repeated the same process in the little groove. I used a bent paper clip to get a rounded curface for the groove.

Posted Image

Once you have it sanded down it should look like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by KRA SHARPSHOOTER: 13 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

KRA SHARPSHOOTER's A-5 - [ Doglegs of War ] - ~Silent But Deadly~ - Archive of Wisdom - Online Discount Codes
"I don't play Woodsball because I have an A-5, I have an A-5 because I play Woodsball" - KRA SHARPSHOOTER

#2 User is offline   betasniper 

• A four dimensional object
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:betasniper

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:02 PM

Nice mod :D It is pretty close to how the lapco qeph functions.(or exact)

With the other you could try to make the tech t qeph right?
Wikipedia is the Walmart of knowledge, they have everything, but it is all tainted one way or another. If you spit on your monitor, your saliva becomes a rainbow, this is Microsoft's form of "optimism". One way to know if your lazy is if you use print preview, because you can't press the print button your self.
Zdspb-Marker Animations Long list of working markers, visit if confused Click here!!! Auxiliary Grammar Police #13 225Bp
If you collect coins, you're an economist. If you collect rocks, you're a geologist. if you collect death threats, you're the president.
"Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead."-Long Wood, MY AWESOME WEBSITE!!!once you've gone shameless, you'll never go blameless As I lay in bed, I looked at the stars and thought, where the hell is my ceiling? "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..

#3 User is offline   KRA SHARPSHOOTER 

• PipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

<- Reserved for Performance Analysis->

This post has been edited by KRA SHARPSHOOTER: 13 March 2009 - 08:06 AM

KRA SHARPSHOOTER's A-5 - [ Doglegs of War ] - ~Silent But Deadly~ - Archive of Wisdom - Online Discount Codes
"I don't play Woodsball because I have an A-5, I have an A-5 because I play Woodsball" - KRA SHARPSHOOTER

#4 User is offline   French 

• Group:Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:QC MAD KID

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:42 PM

question just wanna know what does it do
because i have no clue what the QEPH does
INFLUENCE 09 Vaughan Vipers RXL 2k10
WARNING HEAVY METAL click me /Here my feedback
Tdot feedback Group banned# 13 MCB feedback

#5 User is offline   KRA SHARPSHOOTER 

• PipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

View PostQC MAD KID, on Mar 12 2009, 08:42 PM, said:

question just wanna know what does it do
because i have no clue what the QEPH does

QEPH = Quick Exhaust Piston Housing

What it does is vent the pressure in front of the Rod as it cycles forward, and behind the rod as it cycles rearward. This will let your rod cycle smoother & faster, giving you a higher rate of fire.

#6 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

Great mod... I may have to try that - Thanks!
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#7 User is offline   Slivers 

• The charred ghost of Slivers
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Slivers

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

Comments:

You could make your job a bit easier with a deburring tool (or just a drill bit if that's too large) to remove sharp edges in the inner diameter. Also, why drill four holes when you can drill two? Just take the bit all the way through and you've got another hole exactly 180░ on the other side.

Drilling aluminum: This works best at high tool speed and relatively low feed rate. English translation: run your drill at the max speed it will go, and drill into the metal slowly. A little heavyweight oil will help, too.
Posted Image
Flying straight above the steady stream of stars.

#8 User is offline   betasniper 

• A four dimensional object
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:betasniper

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

He did do that. He drilled four times and has eight holes spaced about 45* apart. And your feeds and speeds are good advice. :dodgy:
Wikipedia is the Walmart of knowledge, they have everything, but it is all tainted one way or another. If you spit on your monitor, your saliva becomes a rainbow, this is Microsoft's form of "optimism". One way to know if your lazy is if you use print preview, because you can't press the print button your self.
Zdspb-Marker Animations Long list of working markers, visit if confused Click here!!! Auxiliary Grammar Police #13 225Bp
If you collect coins, you're an economist. If you collect rocks, you're a geologist. if you collect death threats, you're the president.
"Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead."-Long Wood, MY AWESOME WEBSITE!!!once you've gone shameless, you'll never go blameless As I lay in bed, I looked at the stars and thought, where the hell is my ceiling? "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users