• You cannot reply to this topic

Buying a Phantom Any suggestions? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   laxkid101 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:laxkid101

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

I am going to buy a CCI Phantom soon, and I just wanted to know what you guys would suggest for a setup.

I am definitely going to run stock class, but I don't know whether to be vertical or horizontal. Also, I was wondering if you guys had any upgrades to suggest? Besides a stock class phantom, like a barrel or a stock or something. Anything you guys think is essential for Phantoms.
Ions: Great guns, until they break...

I'm 13 and I pay for my own equipment!

Part time paintballer, part time laxer.

#2 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

Stock barrel is great. Very few aftermarket barrels exist and of those the performance isn't that much better.

Depending on your budget a set (or two) of detent rings is a good idea, $5.00ish. I think J&J makes a barrel kit for the Phantom, not sure of the cost.

Again depending on your budget you can get multiple parts for the Phantom. Can't decide between RSC or VSC? Get both. Get a stock class body and a right feed (or left) body so you can run a small hopper on it.

Phantoms are VERY light. A stock is a nice option to help steady your aim but if you are running a 9 or 12oz tank off the back it makes a decent stock as well. You can even get a Butt plate for a 12oz bottle.

Ghost ring... Optional. similar to a dot sight but doesn't need batteries. I read somewhere that you can replace the metal pin with some kind of fiber optic from a cheap sight. Can't remember what one though.<br>
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#3 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

Stock class...coool.

Ok. personally the 11" stock barrel is a very good choice. Phantom has been doing this for a long time and there is a reason the 11" is the standard option.
Couple the stock barrel with the detent rings and you will not need to purchase another barrel or kit.

Verticle Stock Class or Rear Stock Class is all about use preference.
RSC will be a bit better for air use and if you really are going to play Stock Class you are best to go that route.
If you plan on running a small co2 or hpa tank then a VSC is a better option for balance when the tank is mounted.

Stock...yes. If you are going to play stock class the shoulder stock will be a great help in targeting and a stable firing platform when you auto trigger.
Which one to use....the 'T' stock will adjust from 11" to 16" and most players go that route.
I have long arms and use the 'L' stock. It is a solid mounted 13" length and perfect for me.

When you purchase think about the future. The cusom colors are great, but you really should buy everything at one time in case you want to try something different in the future...if you get it all at once the custom colors will all match.
If you are not sure get a solid silver or black since they are the easiest to match later on down the road.

Another item is the the trigger shoe. It just makes everything better. Far more comfortable.

If you are goign to run stock class...the sight ring mentioned by Puz is worth its weight in gold.

Any other questions, just ask. Or feel free to PM me.

#4 User is offline   laxkid101 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

Thank you very much for the tips, I'll definitely take them into consideration. I'm particularly interested in the ghost ring and the T-Stock, since I'm a smaller person and a sight seems good. I couldn't find the ghost ring sight on the website, is it sold from another company? Either that or I just have to look harder lol.

#5 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

I'm pretty sure it's on the site. On the accessories page. But on my computer the 2 images in the bottom right are broken and that's probably where it is. lol.

you can see them HERE too. About $13.00 plus shipping.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#6 User is offline   Mike68 

• "Have a sense of preservation!"
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:28 AM

View Postlaxkid101, on 20 August 2010 - 08:46 PM, said:

Thank you very much for the tips, I'll definitely take them into consideration. I'm particularly interested in the ghost ring and the T-Stock, since I'm a smaller person and a sight seems good. I couldn't find the ghost ring sight on the website, is it sold from another company? Either that or I just have to look harder lol.

Ghost rings are one of those "love 'em or hate 'em," add-ons. I know people that swear by them, but I've never found them to be particularly useful. I know they can give you a nice sight picture to snap up to, but I always ended up having to look over the top of the ring to longball, and never found that they influenced my accuracy one way or another.

One add-on that almost nobody would disagree with is a trigger shoe. The stock trigger on the Phantom is rather thin, and can be uncomfortable after extended play. A trigger shoe is just a curved piece of metal that slides over the trigger, and provides a wider, smoother surface. They're >$10, and almost anyone you talk to will tell you they are worth the money.

Also, detent rings. They're important. I didn't buy them at the start, and the roll-outs were rediculously frustrating. There are barrel kits you can order, and you can ghetto-rig one out of nail polish, but the rings work well, and are the best solution for the money. I'd buy two sets, because they can be easy to lose, and the one detent ring you don't have will be the one your paint was sized for, according to Murphy's Law.

Some notes about Phantoms in general:

The black delrin pump handles tend to provide a smoother pumpstroke than the clear ones.

The standard Ghost rings will only mount on the stock class breech umodified. A shim is needed to mount it on the add-on rails that CCI sells. If you ask Mike he'll include one in the order, I think they're about $2.00.

The .45 and M16 grips offer different mounting options. The .45 has the standard two screw holes on the bottom, to which you could attach any normal ASA or undermount stock. If you want to attach a stock to the M16 grip, you'll need to buy one of stocks that CCI manufactures specially for it.

If you live at an especially high or low altitude, you may want to consider a spring kit.
"My greatest fear is that when I die, no one will remember me."

-Some dead guy

#7 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

There are a number of things avaialble from CCI that are not currently listed on the website.

Sight ring, drop out changer, reducer, gauged valve, the new m-16 mounting block, 5║ mounting block, bottom line adapters, right feed stock class breech, spring seal kit, ASA ready 45 trigger frame, the new drop forward....and those are just the ones I can think off the top of my head.

Basically if you have an idea you simply need to ask and see if it can be done.

#8 User is offline   laxkid101 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

Thank you, but I have one more question. Can you mount a T-Stock on the M16 grip? It's kind of unclear. I am a rather small person (5'2") so I dont know if an L-Stock will fit.

#9 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

Yes you can. There is an adapter block that slides inside the m-16 grip and allows the use of the 'T' stock.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users