Special Ops Paintball: Is reffing a satisfying hobby for the older paintballer? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is reffing a satisfying hobby for the older paintballer? well, not THAT old... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Dave Cameron 

• cerebus
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:cerebus

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

I'm in my early 30's, been playing for quite a while. Was talking to a field owner who said that they are always looking for older, experienced guys for reffing. I don't need the money, but I thought it might be a satisfying way to stay involved in paintball regularly and a good way to give back to the sport. Anyone out there care to comment on reffing as a hobby? Will it be satisfying or will it turn into the drudgery of a part-time-job? Am I going to be wishing I was playing instead? (I'll still play regularly) Some refs I know really seem to enjoy it, while others (usually the younger ones) seem bored and are obviously just doing it for the money or perks of being a ref. Obviously I would need to talk to the field owner about exactly what he's looking for, but I was hoping to just get some feedback from people already in the job.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   JJaxx 

• Sneaky S.O.B.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JJaxx

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:32 AM

It is nice to do as a hobby. I am 28 an ref at the local field and play when the numbers are down. The best part is teaching new players how to play the right way. Also be "older" you don't get much attitude from the tourney crowd. I find it to be rewarding experience.
My Feedback!
Team Capt. of Shadow Force. "Fear the shadows"

#3 User is offline   TIPoff 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:TIPoff

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

Reffereeing can have a lot of perks. You learn the game better, i.e. you learn to play better. You will also learn more about guns & different types of games. You'll help many, many people. I find the most important part of having older ref's is safety. Younger guys, on average, don't pay attention enough to remind all players about barrel bags coming off the field unless they've been very well trained & managed. The barrel bag reminder is absolutely needed every time. However, I've seen older ones who want to chat all day and not pay attention too, it's just less frequent. You may save someone's eye by reffing. Refereeing is more fun when you're really active and interested in it. Teaching & exposing players to new games is really fun. You can also dream up your own new games.

Good luck. I'm glad you're considering it. Remember, if you decide refereeing is not for you (it's not for everyone) you can always back away and just stay a loyal customer. They're appreciated by field owners too!

This post has been edited by TIPoff: 24 October 2006 - 11:44 AM

Kim "The Heretick"

#4 User is offline   Dr. Wiggy 

• "God. Duty. Honor. Country."
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dr. Wiggy

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:06 PM

It's ALL a matter of 'mindset' of the player/ref...........
Almost every Ref I've ever met Refs for money, period.

Then you have people like me,

Who would rather Ref just as much as they would play, if not more.
and at my own expense, rather than get paid to do it..............

My advice, ask the owner if you can try it out for a day or 2, so you can make your own choice.

God Bless, I hope you find what you're looking for.
Doc

The honorable freak of nature; Dr. Wiggy presiding.
Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

Become Elite. Don't Cheat.

#5 User is offline   JesterTLS 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:17 AM

From my prespective:

I normally only ref our six scenario's plus one to three rec days a year. I ref as a part of my responsibility for being sponsored. But I reffed before that, just to help out the field. I made so many friends at the field with the regulars, and field staff that I wanted to do somethign to assist them. So reffing is the obvious answer. It is good for us experienced and older players to get into reffing. A lot of the younger ref's teens and so forth, have trouble with some people taking instruction from them.

I find that you learn so much about paintball, and different styles of play by reffing.
Team ODX (Operational Detachment X-Ray)
OSF Operator's Strike Force
www.scenariosupply.com www.cdpaintball.com

#6 User is offline   TIPoff 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:TIPoff

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:16 AM

I disagree, I don't think anyone really ref's for the $$$. It doesn't pay that well and the conditions are severe for the pay recieved. Whether they are a kid or not, a person only works as a ref if they love the sport or the popularity with their friends.

At my field I would have people that wanted to be a referee try-out for a day. They would recieve basic ref training and shadow another ref. I'd say only about 50% of those that tried out were made it, if that. Many were too intimidated to get in to pull someone and risk being shot or the days felt too long for them or they just couldn't focus on the job enough. Having tryout trial days reduced our turnover rate substancially. It also made the other ref's happy because they didn't have to work with those who couldn't/wouldn't pull their weight. No one was hired without the recommendation of the other refs after seeing the tryout. It worked great!
Kim "The Heretick"

#7 User is offline   loyats 

• Just a Regular Joe
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Loyats

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:00 PM

Reffing for me is satisfying in that whole, contributing to the, and for the, good of the community. You get out what you put into it. Reffing treats you, the way you treat it. If you respect being a ref, the job will be good for you. Plus it's always handy as a second part-time job, and people do tend to take you more seriously if they know you ref with the zebra shirt on or off.

But that's just my opinion, and I haven't reffed in over two years...

This post has been edited by loyats: 25 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

#8 User is offline   curtsenn 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:curtsenn

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:00 PM

Reffing is fun, but it's not the same rush as playing.
Brevity is the soul of wit ~William Shakespear

#9 User is offline   Dr. Wiggy 

• "God. Duty. Honor. Country."
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dr. Wiggy

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:09 PM

View PostTIPoff, on Oct 25 2006, 07:16 AM, said:

I disagree, I don't think anyone really ref's for the $$$. It doesn't pay that well and the conditions are severe for the pay recieved. Whether they are a kid or not, a person only works as a ref if they love the sport or the popularity with their friends.

At my field I would have people that wanted to be a referee try-out for a day. They would recieve basic ref training and shadow another ref. I'd say only about 50% of those that tried out were made it, if that. Many were too intimidated to get in to pull someone and risk being shot or the days felt too long for them or they just couldn't focus on the job enough. Having tryout trial days reduced our turnover rate substancially. It also made the other ref's happy because they didn't have to work with those who couldn't/wouldn't pull their weight. No one was hired without the recommendation of the other refs after seeing the tryout. It worked great!

All of the Refs I'm talking about are ALL under 18.

The ones who are older are in it for the love of it.

God Bless,
Doc

The honorable freak of nature; Dr. Wiggy presiding.
Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

Become Elite. Don't Cheat.

#10 Guest_Pale Rider_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:22 AM

FOr me an "older player", being a ref is just a way to give back. I want to see the sport grow and in a good way. I want it to grow away from the entitled spoiled attitude you see in many tourments and grow into the sportmanship and fair play of the SPPL.

it's not always fun but at the end of the day. A job well done brings a great deal of satisfaction.

I would still much rather play. :huh:

#11 User is offline   krush 

• Tippinator
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:krush

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:54 AM

i duno how well you guys know your field owner (our home field owner is on the team, but this started long before tippinators ) but generaly doing anything that needs to be done around the field feels good, keeps everyone happy and gets the games going faster!

ref - c02/hpa fills - sales - gun mechanic - bunkers - website - field work

is that whats commonly expected of referees to begin with? or is it strictly on the field type of deal?

also its always awesome to be out there reffing and taking pictures to see some young gunz out there pulling the brave moves or also as a player myself, feel good knowing that players that need to be watched ARE being watched!

This post has been edited by krush: 26 October 2006 - 08:57 AM

#12 User is offline   Dave Cameron 

• cerebus
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:cerebus

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the responses. Most likely, I'll talk to the owner in a little more detail over the next few weeks about exactly what his expectations are and how much time/energy I'm able to offer. I really like the idea of giving back to the sport, and teaching new players how to have a good, safe time while playing with honor and integrety.

I'm a pretty active player, so the thought of running around doing paint checks, etc doesn't really phase me. Actually, I'd probably enjoy it. I also used to do a little impromptu reffing at a smaller field I used to play at. Once I was shot out, I'd drop my marker, pull on an orange mesh vest I kept in a cargo pocket, and help out where I could. More than once it got me a free day of play (owner appreciated the help-it was a one-man-show).

#13 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:54 PM

Well I ref the odd game - if my marker breaks or if I wanna sit a game out I'd give the other ref a break. However if I feel like playing i do. I ref very little (volunteer). Usually I go with a few guys so I gotta wait for them.

PS I'm 40

#14 User is offline   Da Ref 

• too much work no time to play
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:sniper257

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:24 PM

Ok I'm 50 and ref because I love to even when I have to deal with toury types I still feel good after a day of reffing. I also enjoy getting back shots on people who think there all that when I play. :ninja:
Its simple I saw the hit,
Your out!!

I need a job with more vacation time

#15 User is offline   stolz 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:STOLZ

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:02 AM

i ref as a hobby, im not an older guy tho im only 21.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users