• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Velocity, soft ears, and more!

#16 Guest_Gauss_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:44 AM

View PostEthanB08, on Jul 7 2009, 02:48 AM, said:

View PostCapnStank, on Jun 29 2009, 07:46 PM, said:

Where I play (and others I've heard) if you're wearing ghillie type clothing you are required to call yourself out on any hit, bounce or not. The fact is that it does hide shots and promote bounce so instead of discouraging anyone's attire choice we just lay down that rule. Of course the people we play with are honest players, those who aren't can't play with our group.

The idea of 'bounce enhancing' masks however is that they're built with angles on them that make dead-on contact less likely. The more likely a shot is to catch the mask at an angle than straight on, the more likely it is to bounce. They do not sacrifice safety but rather try to make the contours on the masks more angular so the balls hit on angles always.

If you don't understand what I'm saying do a search for the A5 and X7 stock hoppers and look at the front (What you'd see if someone was shooting straight at you). The A5 is a big flat front, basically any ball that hits it will break because 90 degree contact will transfer ALL of the energy the ball has into impact. The X7 is extremely angular, the flat surface area is a fraction of the A5's. This way the same shot that would have broken on the A5 carelessly bounces off the X7, saving your elimination.

Ghillies aren't BDU's but I agree with the if it hits it counts whether it breaks or not since a ghillie creates more of a chance of a bounce than a BDU... to my knowledge anyways.

The thing about your way of portraying the idea of "bounce enhancing" masks is that you use the terms "bounce enhancing" to define the idea deflections while in reality they enhance bounces, thats why they attach that term to the masks... Deflections are different, you dont need soft rubber for a deflection, (it can happen with harder surfaces, Example: Hoppers like on the X7, Im pretty certain they are not a soft rubber, and my cousins skull last sunday, I got a bounce right off the top of his head (not the mask, his head)) but soft rubber just so happens to help a lot when it comes to bounces, and softening the blow of a paintball therefore lengthening the time it takes for the force to be released from the ball, and with the remaining force rather than break (because the force required for the break has been slowly destributed) just bounce off of the "bounce enhancing" mask.

And I understand what your saying, but deflections happen off of harder surfaces (as previously said stratigically angled hoppers), therefore soft rubber would not be needed for a mask, unless of course the soft rubber promotes the actual bouncing of a ball off of the mask, which it is advertised to do so... and isnt that a little odd considering the rules are not too kind to the idea of bounce enhancing clothing?

But your probably all sick of me poking at this. So I will leave my argument at that... Its odd... Hypocritcal if you will....

This is why I always paintball topless :dodgy:

#17 User is offline   Tim Burton 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

View PostC9H13NO3, on Jun 21 2009, 04:29 PM, said:

This weekend our team took 3rd in the Velocity Summer Series. Velocity keeps a 285 fps cap on all walkon games, and last year did for the tournaments also. This year, someone said something about modified NPPL rules and 300fps, so they upped the cap for the tourney to 300. I was shot from about 15 yards in the soft ear of my Empire Event. I know the gun wasn't hot because everyone chronos before each match. It did tear right through the soft ear and entered my ear canal though, and I have slight hearing loss, ringing, a feeling of water in the ear, and slight pain. I'm sure it will heal itself, at least mostly, and I may experience some very slight permanent hearing loss, but I'm not extremely worried about it. Just something to consider if you plan on using soft ears on your goggle system. I will continue to use them, since it's pretty rare to have a hit like that.

Another thing to consider is that this happened at or below 300fps. Your safety gear is rated at 300fps, and if you or someone else shoots hot, you may be compromising the integrity of your gear. Play safe :)

You get hit in the ear like that and you NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR!!!!!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users