Special Ops Paintball: Southern Ontario Paintball League - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Southern Ontario Paintball League Roll Call Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Vendettaseve 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:22 PM

Bad Idea.

This post has been edited by Vendettaseve: 10 February 2008 - 02:01 PM

If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away from the game eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions, you have failed as a paintballer. Put this in your sig to help spread the word.

#2 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:29 AM

Out of curiosity, where are you planning to hold games in the winter? I know a lot of fields here aren't open, and the only indoor ones I know of are a few in Toronto and Flagswipe in London.

That said, if I can actually get out of Windsor, I'd totally be up for anybody that wants a player.

#3 User is offline   IcedNIGHT FOX 

• Santa's bringing some "Christmas joy" to al-Qaida
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:THE NIGHT FOX

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:04 AM

Where are you located in Ontario? Where will the games be held?

#4 User is offline   Vendettaseve 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:04 PM

This post has been edited by Vendettaseve: 10 February 2008 - 02:02 PM

If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away from the game eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions, you have failed as a paintballer. Put this in your sig to help spread the word.

#5 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:56 PM

This is send up a red flag for me.

Setting up a tournament is on pay fields is one thing. Using outlaw fields is another. Have you considered the insurance and legal ramifications of doing this?

You failed to state if the $50.00 fee was per team or per player. There's no mention of paint/air costs. Aside from Camp X and your private field there's no mention of other fields participating or considering participating.

No offense but this smells a bit fishy to me.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#6 User is offline   Vendettaseve 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:37 PM

View PostPuzuma, on Sep 24 2007, 01:56 PM, said:

This is send up a red flag for me.

Setting up a tournament is on pay fields is one thing. Using outlaw fields is another. Have you considered the insurance and legal ramifications of doing this?

You failed to state if the $50.00 fee was per team or per player. There's no mention of paint/air costs. Aside from Camp X and your private field there's no mention of other fields participating or considering participating.

No offense but this smells a bit fishy to me.

And your right to think so. As all the details are still very much in the works. The 50 dollar fee would be per team, collected as a cumulative prize fund, however it has recently been brought to a poll amongst my team mates and I, and we feel that a prize would degrade the friendly spirit of our competition, also it would attract alot of undesireable elements. So just to make everything clear there is no longer an entry fee.

As far as insurance/legal goes, I am not hosting any of the outlaw events, It is quite simply a pairing of two teams and selecting a location. As is any other game of outlaw woodsball.... wich after reading the fine print for the game locator, is seen by Specops to be a valid and accepted form of play.

As far as air fills and paint, bring your own. Any outlaw player carrys a stash of air to make a dive shop jelous :happy: As well as paint.

As far as other fields participating, this is all still an R&D matter, we cannot start arranging matches at fields inless we know there are teams who want to play in that area, This whole idea is ment more to bring to paintball what all other real sport has, much like your local soccer league. There are so many teams and so few chances for them to come together and enjoy this sport they pour so much cash into.

V

#7 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:07 PM

Then why state a start date?

You need to do a lot more research before you give any kind of date.

First you need to determine how big of an area "Southern Ontario" encompasses. Then find out how many fields there are in that area. You need to contact them and find out if they'd be interested in participating and how many teams/games they would be willing to host.

Once you have potential fields you need to decide how many teams minimum are needed. You also have to decide on a format/game type, scoring and advancement criteria. How are penalties going to be assessed? Where are the refs coming from?

Next you would need to track down all the various Ontario based paintball forums and start polls asking if players would be interested in competing. While a series with no prize is possible, it won't generate much interest. Having a prize requires licenses and I would expect you need to be at least 18 to get one. Do you need a license to run the series? I don't know, you'd have to look into that too.

While outlaw games are fun I would discourage using them for a tourny. The reason being is "home field advantage". I feel there would be too much temptation for the "home team" to modify the field in their favor, hiding fox holes for example. It's not likely but it's possible. They also lack a ref staff. Usually it's the home team or their friends acting as a ref. That would bring in a bit of bias.

Asking if there are other teams in the area wanting to play a best of 5 series on your field and theirs is one thing. Setting up a valid league is another.

Regardless I hope it works out for you.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#8 User is offline   Vendettaseve 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:37 PM

Ok well thats a big thanks to Puzuma for being very informative, as well as crushing my asperations with an iron fist.

However this was very insightfull, Il look into this more closely next time, but for now im calling it all off on account of my idea being somewhat misunterperited by everyone. However the will deffinitly be a next time, with better explenation etc etc.
Thanks for your time everyone
V

#9 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:52 PM

It wasn't so much that I wanted to crush you. I just know how enthusiastic teens can be and how they tend to move forward with out putting in all the thought needed.

As much as I love the game of paintball setting up a league of any kind incorrectly can seriously damage the sports reputation and yours, especially if something goes wrong.

Doing it outlaw style has to be considered very very carefully. Just because you and your friends are able to play on a parcel of land doesn't mean that having 6 teams of 20 on that same land may not go over well. I doubt anyone would want to see a news report of you guys being arrested for trespassing or using your markers inside city limits or any number of other things.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   AaronC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:56 PM

What might be a little more fun is having your team setup a bunch of regular matches on your field of choice and post it on the game locater. That way you can meet people in your area and if you are a team it would give you a bunch of new people to play against. Most woodsball players are strictly rec ball to one degree or another and I can't see many jumping at the chance to join a league. I'm not far from Ajax and I know there are a bunch of other guys on here in the same area post a game and we might even come out for it.

#11 User is offline   CdnNinja 

• The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:06 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Sep 24 2007, 10:29 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, where are you planning to hold games in the winter? I know a lot of fields here aren't open, and the only indoor ones I know of are a few in Toronto and Flagswipe in London.

That said, if I can actually get out of Windsor, I'd totally be up for anybody that wants a player.

I live in McGregor, I don't know if you know where that is but it's right by Windsor.

Ajax, is a little far. I don't have a vehicle, only a shiny red bike. It Would be cool to have more people to play with.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Vendettaseve 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:44 PM

Mmm, I wasnt thinking so much as having 6 teams of 20 all together running matches. but more like a quieter, team 1 has a match with team 3 at said location on said date. Know what I mean. Also... I hate my local fields to an extent, thier greed makes my enjoyment of the sport a fraction of what it is when i play outlaw or on my own field. They force me to buy whitebox paint at 100 dollars a case, Well sorry, White box doesnt agree with my snipery ways, nor does your price. Id like to bring in a couple pods of my own Empire stuff. But if I do that, Im banned for life. I cant even bring in some and pay them for it. More and more fields have done away with byop, and now smugly hand you whitebox for the cost of VERY premium paint and act like your getting a deal.

This is what bothers me about field play. Yes I understand the field needs to make a profit to stay in buisiness, however I find paying more than triple the price for a case of paint disgusting and therefore I cant bring myself to hand over money to these people to allow my leage to function.

And thats V's rant for the day.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users