Special Ops Paintball: just a thought for a position - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

just a thought for a position yes I actually did a search... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   PUNISHMENT 

• I shoot, I scoot, I just wish I could aim.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:tripwire_sniper

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:24 AM

ok, so i was just thinking about the S.O. positions, and what they do...

dagger- light and fast, could be considered a cqb fighter
sabre- equipted to take any spot as needed on the field. medium range fighter
broadsword- could be considered a squad gunner. used to suppress enemies so daggers or sabres can side-door them. long range gunner
hammer- mobile field artillery, used for general area suppression
sniper- stealthy, sneaky, good shooter. used for general "assassination" can be used for ambushes, many types of defense, marksman, or anything else you can find for a super sneaky person to do.

and yes, i did search for this position, but what do you guys think about a counter-sniper position? theres a lot of people that try to be snipers, and any very good ones, and with S.O. positions, the only way to get them are to either get a lucky shot, or suppress them with a volume of fire. I think it would be a great idea to have a counter-sniper position because I know a lot of people on here think that snipers dont exist in paintball and would love to have a patch signifying that they hunt the "noobs" that think they are snipers.

yes I understand that this may not be a useful position because snipers can be eliminated by numbers and volume of fire. but in my outlaw games, ive seen several kids hunker down behind trees and freeze when someone they cant see starts shooting. i always have to go sniper hunting. im not saying i want recognition for what ive done, but im sure the other "sounter-snipers" are with me when we say, its not easy so please respect what we do.

just tell me what you guys think. also, as a side note, this is a real position in the military (every branch, although its usually filled by your sniper), police departments, secret service, FBI, and BAFTE that i know of. the secret service and FBI have people who have been trained specifically for counter sniping.
They call me PUNISHMENT. Care to find out why?
if you let your girlfriend play paintball better than you, put this in your sig.
Soon to be member of the UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS. Where the hardcore kids play.
WTB: Planet Eclipse '07 EGO for $700 or less. must be in great shape.
WTB: a crossfire 68/45 HP tank RED for less than $140 (must be in great shape, still under hydro)
Special Ops Counter-Sniper #1 wanna be one? follow the link.

#2 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:12 AM

^^^^^^ Brave Brave man.

The whole position thing has been dying off over the last year IMO. However to your proposal. Why waste a man playing hound dog.

#3 User is offline   PUNISHMENT 

• PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

View Postslinkyaroo, on Mar 11 2008, 08:12 AM, said:

^^^^^^ Brave Brave man.

The whole position thing has been dying off over the last year IMO. However to your proposal. Why waste a man playing hound dog.

yeah i thought of that after i posted. everyones been leaning toward either not having positions, or just loosely sticking to the ones they currently play.
i just figured i would try to post something more original than engineer, tanker, or medic.

i dont really consider it a waste of a man, because their skills as a counter niper are only used when they run into a sniper. i play the counter sniper role every time i step into the woods because a lot of the kids i play with try to play sniper. when im not hunting down a sniper, im playing sabre with the team. i move around a lot when im on the field. ive played all the positions before in a game as well as some of the ones that arent official like "decoy" and "countersniper". im not trying to brag, but i just figured i would try to get peoples input about this position.

like i said earlier, it might not seem important, or practical, but try it before you fry it. :huh: (i thought that was pretty witty)
if you let your girlfriend play paintball better than you, put this in your sig.
Soon to be member of the UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS. Where the hardcore kids play.
WTB: a crossfire 68/45 HP tank RED for less than $140 (must be in great shape, still under hydro)

#4 User is offline   Never Dead's twin 

• WARPAINT
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BLACK OPS RANGER

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

View PostPUNISHMENT, on Mar 11 2008, 01:43 PM, said:

View Postslinkyaroo, on Mar 11 2008, 08:12 AM, said:

^^^^^^ Brave Brave man.

yeah i thought of that after i posted. everyones been leaning toward either not having positions, or just loosely sticking to the ones they currently play.
i just figured i would try to post something more original than engineer, tanker, or medic.

i dont really consider it a waste of a man, because their skills as a counter niper are only used when they run into a sniper. i play the counter sniper role every time i step into the woods because a lot of the kids i play with try to play sniper. when im not hunting down a sniper, im playing sabre with the team. i move around a lot when im on the field. ive played all the positions before in a game as well as some of the ones that arent official like "decoy" and "countersniper". im not trying to brag, but i just figured i would try to get peoples input about this position.

like i said earlier, it might not seem important, or practical, but try it before you fry it. :happy: (i thought that was pretty witty)

The only prob. is how is spec ops going to market this? they won't do it unless it has a product that could be marketed for this position, but I do think it is a good idea and if you can think of a few things that could be marketed for this spot and ALOT of people like it spec ops may make it, I sniper hunt to and it sure is fun when you play with people that are good at sniping and hiding, I got rather good and this and the 3 good snipers I play with would ARGUE who would be on my team because I scared the crap out of them so many times and I have lit them up a lot to, very fun.

#5 User is offline   PUNISHMENT 

• PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

View PostNever Dead, on Mar 11 2008, 06:50 PM, said:

The only prob. is how is spec ops going to market this? they won't do it unless it has a product that could be marketed for this position, but I do think it is a good idea and if you can think of a few things that could be marketed for this spot and ALOT of people like it spec ops may make it, I sniper hunt to and it sure is fun when you play with people that are good at sniping and hiding, I got rather good and this and the 3 good snipers I play with would ARGUE who would be on my team because I scared the crap out of them so many times and I have lit them up a lot to, very fun.

yeah, i was trying to think of ways to market this today. besides the obvious stickers, patches, and position titles, i was trying to come up with a specific gearkit. i was looking at what all S.O. had in their store, and I found what in my opinion is the best marker for counter sniper players, the ultimate a5. have you guys seen it? if not let me give you a quick rundown: tippmann a5, dogleg stock kit, c-series barrel, q-loaded hopper, and reflex sight. optional egrip, or response trigger. this marker screams counter sniper to me because it is so versatile. it is accurate enough for eliminating the sniper, as well as laying down normal fire when not engaging a sniper. its light, so that deffinately helps. as far as a gearkit/vest goes, i was thinking about a load bearing vest (the ones that are basically suspenders attached to a couple body panels). there would obviously be places for pods, and an air tank, as well as space for a couple grenades, radio, sling straps, etc. preferably, i would make this vest with a built in daypack on top, something small, around 800 cubic inches. ive found this extremely useful for carrying extra supplies. this vest obvously wouldnt have to be marketed as a counter sniper vest, but for my purposes, i think it should.

as far as counter sniper specific gear, it needs to be light, with a lot of load bearing capacity, but have the ability to be changed around to allow the counter sniper to specialize their gearkit. whether they need a larger daypack, more pods, or more grenades the ability to put them in different places helps a lot.

something i was thinking of for the vest, and its accessories was making them reversible. make the vest so that the outside of it is some type of woodland camo, probably omnipat or whatever the new version is, but make the inside panels of the vest, and its accessories urban digi. making a reversible uniform would be great too. (sorry, i cant remember what the name is of special ops uniforms) this is so that if the counter sniper is playing woods one day, he will have a gearkit for it, but if he plays urban the next day, he can just reverse the gearkit, and not have to spend a ton of extra money buying a totally different gearkit (i know you guys are looking for maximum profit, and would like players to buy a second set of gear, but think about it, almost no one will buy that second gearkit because the price will make them think they dont need it, but if you market two gearkits in one, you could bump the price up a bit and no one will notice)

these ideas may sound horrible or noobish, so all imput is welcome. and S.O. staff, if you ave any input, go ahead and let-er-rip, give me an outline for what you want. heck, PM me and tell me the real reasons behind why my position is good/bad/or needs improvement. the PM will stay confidential if it needs to.

anyone have any input?

#6 User is online   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:39 PM

I still think that all "new position" posts are pointless...but I have to admit, this one is actually well thought out & clearly articulated. Possibly a forum first...?
IMO it still suffers from the main problem of new position ideas...its too specialized. A usefull task on the field but not enough to base a whole position on.

#7 User is offline   PUNISHMENT 

• PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:58 PM

View PostThe Stuntman, on Mar 11 2008, 10:39 PM, said:

I still think that all "new position" posts are pointless...but I have to admit, this one is actually well thought out & clearly articulated. Possibly a forum first...?
IMO it still suffers from the main problem of new position ideas...its too specialized. A usefull task on the field but not enough to base a whole position on.

i agree, it may be specialized, but then again so is the hammer. i would add the sniper, but they can act as daggers, or sabres if need be. but hammer only has one purpose, volume of fire suppression. they cant run fast, arent versatile, and dont hide well (generalities about the position, im sure theres some very sneaky fat men out there that play hammer :laugh: )

ill try to think more on this in the morning

#8 User is online   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:42 PM

agree, it may be specialized, but then again so is the hammer.

I actually agree with you about the Hammer - I think that one is more of a marketing thing. Too close to Broadsword...

#9 User is offline   PUNISHMENT 

• PipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:07 AM

View PostThe Stuntman, on Mar 11 2008, 11:42 PM, said:

agree, it may be specialized, but then again so is the hammer.

I actually agree with you about the Hammer - I think that one is more of a marketing thing. Too close to Broadsword...

deffinately. but it carries the "cool" factor of being a mobile tank.

time for a little more discussion/explanation...

Counter sniper is a special position (like sniper or hammer), and although it seems to be a mix of other positions (the speed of a dagger, marksmanship of a sniper, and the ability to switch roles like a sabre) I feel that this could be a position that gains a real following. I know a lot of the guys I play with joke around about counter sniping, but that may just be because out of the 16 guys i play with, 12 of them want to play sniper. I get a lot of practice.

Although, the counter sniper does not have to be limited to just hunting for snipers and sniper ambushes, they can be used like the real counter snipers are used, and can be put in position to counter the advances of opposing forces. Whether this be finding sniper hides and eliminating snipers, or placing booby traps(which coincidentally could be stored in that nifty back pack) in the hides. These counter snipers can also be used to eliminate "recon, or advance" units of the opfor. This happens where I play all the time. A group of players, usually 2 or 3 will move down a trail and dart into the woods to try and flank around our flag defenses. The counter-sniper guy would have the ability to either already be in the woods radioing the opfors position, or their gearkit would allow them to eliminate the treat to the base. I know what your thinking, sounds like either the snipers job, or the defenders job right? well it is my opinion that if the opfor ran into a sniper, they might be eliminated, but then a good sniper would have to move. This presents a problem because now the sniper has to find a new hide and re-conceal himself. what if the rest of the opfor is following behind? suddenly you've lost your sniper because he moved. What about the defense? well, if the advance units start trading fire with your defenders, the opfor may be reinforced by the rest of their unit trailing behind. if this happens, you've just lost your base, and possibly the flag. what is needed, is a person with the ability to move fast, and at least a little quiet, with the ability to match volumes of fire, as well as do it accurately.

Is it just me or is this kind of sounding like a speedball game in the woods? well, i think that since Special Ops is a woodsball company, they wouldn't want a player to have to use a tourney gun to meet these speed, accuracy, light weight requirements, they would want them to use their products. So it is my opinion that if they came out with a counter-sniper position, which could use many of the products they sell, they could not only increase revenue, but provide a new position for all of the players that want the cool factor of calling themselves "counter-snipers". I mean think about it, in a game what is more intimidating, seeing a couple people of the opfor shooting at you and you shooting back, or is it much more intimidating to get hit, and have no clue where the shot came from? a counter-snipers training would be able to instinctively help him identify possible shooting nests, and provide him with the knowledge needed to eliminate said sniper.

Counter snipers would be very useful in base defense as well. Its happened many times to me, where my base is being assaulted by enemy snipers. The counter-snipers ability to identify sniper hides, move fast, and hit hard would be an invaluable asset to a base. This is because it would take a single counter sniper, or possibly a counter sniper team, to eliminate a sniper isntead of your base defenders basicaly ganging up on the sniper to eliminate him. This ganging up would cause a weak point in the defenses giving the opfor the ability to spring a trap and move into your base. (see these snipers attacking you could just be there to draw the attention of your defenders, leaving you open to attack. However, if there was a counter-sniper/team, they could move out to eliminate the sniper threats, allowing your base defenders to focus on defending the base from other attackers.)
It may just be me, but it seems that since sniping is considered an extremely useful position (possibly a feared one), and many want to learn its abilities to round out their game, it seems only fair that a position should be opened up that teaches/preaches the values of finding these assassins and eliminating them. Like I say, its a rather tough job, so we should recognize those that are able to do it well.

If you guys would like, I could try to write up a position description like the other positions have, and submit it for your ridicule/criticism.

Also, if you all would like to show your support of this position, or show that you play it, put something in your sig, with a link to this thread. Maybe we can get a lot of people to see it, and hey, maybe some of them will even agree with it lol. (By the way, if any of the mods want me to take the link out of my sig, could you please PM me to tell me to remove it instead of just deleting my sig. Ill remove it ASAP if you want me too, but I don't have the energy to rebuild my sig if its deleted lol.)

This post has been edited by PUNISHMENT: 12 March 2008 - 08:08 AM

#10 User is offline   Never Dead's twin 

• WARPAINT
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BLACK OPS RANGER

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

Sounds like you found a way to market it, now it is up to spec ops to decied if they want to market this.

#11 User is offline   PUNISHMENT 

• PipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

View PostNever Dead, on Mar 13 2008, 05:55 PM, said:

Sounds like you found a way to market it, now it is up to spec ops to decied if they want to market this.

yeah, i just need a way to get their attention. and I did some thinking on it, and isnt the x7 a marker designed by spec ops and tippmann? if so, this could be the base of a counter sniper marker, with a "counter sniper" dogleg since I havent seen one made for the x7. it could have all the regular goodies though.

ADMINS, MODS, SPEC OPS STAFF look at this post!!!!!!! please?

#12 User is offline   Pauvis 

• Kodiak
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Kodiak

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:25 AM

Well, you have my vote, which may seem strange since I am a sniper. But not all snipers want to play JUST sniper game after game. These would also make good counter snipers, since they have the knowledge of what would make a good hide, and the mentality of a sniper. As soon as we get the feild up (hoping by next summer) we are goin to have position specific classes for noobs during the summer, I AM definatly adding this one.

Assasin #3
Official Sniper#28

#13 User is offline   PUNISHMENT 

• PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

View PostPauvis, on Mar 15 2008, 10:25 AM, said:

Well, you have my vote, which may seem strange since I am a sniper. But not all snipers want to play JUST sniper game after game. These would also make good counter snipers, since they have the knowledge of what would make a good hide, and the mentality of a sniper. As soon as we get the feild up (hoping by next summer) we are goin to have position specific classes for noobs during the summer, I AM definatly adding this one.

Yeah, I thought about how some snipers don't always play sniper, but the same could be said about every position. They don't always stay in the same position. Well, unless your a hammer I guess.

I figure though, if there is a dedicated position for sniper, and snipers dont always lpay that position throughout a game, then the counter-snipers should have a dedicated position even though they wont play it all game long. Even sabres and Daggers dont play their position all the way through a game.

Im still looking for S.O. staff to look at this position, so get the word out people, please.

This post has been edited by PUNISHMENT: 15 March 2008 - 02:32 PM

#14 User is offline   pbleonidus 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:pbleonidus

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

i'm up for it, also i think that we do need more positions, cuz the noobs usually say theu are a sabre cuz they dont know exactly what they want to do, with every position we add, there will be more chances that they will speciliz on somthing, and somthing they want to do, im a Sabre cuz i like commanding my team, and being able to do pretty much everything, and it dosn't cost quit as much.
" Paintball, it's more than just a game, it's a way of life." Blake Wozniak (PBLeonidus)

#15 Guest_Ghillie Monk_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:36 PM

If you want to counter a sniper you should send another sniper.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users