Field building guide. A callaborative Rate Topic: ***** 7 Votes

#16 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Sheriff_Matt

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:34 PM

**UPDATE - LOG/BRANCH BUNKER DIAGRAM

Well I realised I had forgotten all about the first bunker I ever built, the good ol' log bunker. All it takes is a hatchet(or a kabar as I used to make mine) and some elbow grease.

Posted Image

For this bunker, the design is simple. For posts/stakes and then a series of logs stacked up in between them to form a wall. Where do the branches and brush come in? Well that's what you use to fill in any significant gaps.

To start just find yourself some over grown christmas trees and hack em down. The stakes/poles ares going to need to be about 6 feet tall, so make sure to cut them at about 6 and a half feet to leave room at the end for sharpening. Sharpening the end of the stakes makes it easier to pound it into the ground. Another note, a good size pole is gonna be about 3-4 inches in diameter.

When you pound the stakes/poles into the ground make sure they down "Y" out but sort of slant towards eachother(even crossing eachother towards the top works well to keep the logs in place).

Then all you have to do is find some good logs(maybe about 5-6 inches in diameter - too big and it'll make it a bit trickier) and stack em up in between the posts.

Here's a couple of pictures of the first bunker I built to give you a better idea:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I apologize for the poor picture quality.

View PostTenacious221, on Aug 10 2006, 09:45 AM, said:

When building bunkers out of tires and 50gal drums (anything heavy actually) you'll wanna make sure its not built up too high, and that its not going to fall over on someone.

Most of the time you can lash with rope, or fasten with screws and metal straps, but sometimes you also need to weld (50gal drums)

Just my 0.02

-Tenacious

That's a good point. Gotta make sure everything is safe and secure.

#17 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

**UPDATE - Just got these in a PM from Harrie_Bunyuon

First Bunker I ever made:

Made from: Cynder Blocks(sp?), Logs, Dirt.

Front View:
Posted Image

Side View:
Posted Image

Diagram:
Posted Image

Work in Progress

Made From: Logs, 2 junked speakers, Dirt.

Front View:
Posted Image

Back View:
Posted Image

Farther Back View:
Posted Image

Diagram:
Posted Image

Portable Bunker:

Made From: Pallets, 1 long piece of wood(molding I believe), 3 tarps.

Inside:
Posted Image

When Covered:
Posted Image

"Bobcat Bunker" - Dug out with a bobcat.

Made From: Dirt, Logs, Brush piles.

Front:
Posted Image

Back:
Posted Image

Inside:
Posted Image

Diagram:
Posted Image

Fox hole:

Made From: Dirt, Logs.
Posted Image

**UPDATE CONTINUED - Same stuff from Harry, I had to split it up because it wouldn't let me post all the pics.

"The Dirt Bunker"

Made From: You guessed it.. Dirt.

This is my all time favorite, me and about 3 other guys hand dug this large dirt pile out, It was made about 5 years ago when we leveled the ground in front of it.

Front View:
Posted Image

Left Side View:
Posted Image

Right Side View:
Posted Image

Back View:
Posted Image

Diagram:
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DavidP1013

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

Holy God! Lets have a ton of info on how to build a field! Awesome post man, awesome post!
Team Krisis
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there...your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it..

How the hell could you stop me? Why in the world would you try? I go hard forever that's just how I'm designed, that's just how I was built.

#19 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:41 PM

View PostDavidP1013, on Aug 13 2006, 08:33 PM, said:

Holy God! Lets have a ton of info on how to build a field! Awesome post man, awesome post!

Thanks! I wanna get some more info posted on speedball fields posted though. It's hard to find motivation with side though because I don't really play speedball.

#20 User is offline   controller 

• Controller
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:CONTROLLER

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:26 AM

great info! please keep it up! this will definitely help some of us new field owners or potential owners one day.

#21 User is offline   Harrie_Bunyuon 

• ^Drink of Champions^
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Harrie_Bunyuon

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

If you'd like more pics, even short Videos PM me, can have them on hand pretty quickly.

#22 User is offline   Harrie_Bunyuon 

• ^Drink of Champions^
  • Pip

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

"Ghetto Speedball"

Made From: 5-6 foot polls, basketball goal, saw horse, Tarps.

Note: Paint does go through the tarps at close ranges! I'm going to go do some tests by adding another tarp to each bunker equaling two tarps per bunker or until its impossible to go through.

The middle bunker you see is a basketball goal laying on top of a saw horse. The other four are made from two poles and 1 tarp. I'll update this one later.

Posted Image

#23 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:23 PM

View PostHarrie_Bunyuon, on Aug 14 2006, 01:14 PM, said:

If you'd like more pics, even short Videos PM me, can have them on hand pretty quickly.

`
Videos would be nice. I was thinking about maybe doing a series of flash movies on field building/bunker building. Sort of in the same style as the SO Tactics Guide. I'd have to get some strong yay or neighs(preferably yay's) on that though because I don't want to put the time into it if it's not going to be used by too many. Basically I'm thinking would be some animated diagrams with narration and maybe a little bit of video integration.

Would anybody be interested in seeing a flash animation to supplement the "Field Building Guide"?

This post has been edited by Sheriff Matt: 14 August 2006 - 10:26 PM

#24 User is offline   controller 

• Controller
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:CONTROLLER

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:50 AM

absolutely. and i highly suggest you bring it to the attention of the IT department and they may possibly add it into the website (if you want) and if it's good :D

#25 User is offline   paintslinger99 

• ITS NOT AN ION!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:paintslinger99

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:17 AM

hahaha that ghetto speedball is hilarious but to the point my friend on his field (not a real field just backyard) hey just took some of some things forklifts have that they put stuff on so they can lift it up and he just cut some holes in some of the places and voila its a nice bunker just set up against a tree but try not to pee yourself when the broadsword comes by cuz man it is scary gettting shot at when your behind one

#26 User is offline   PAINTBALL SMURF 

• Razorback? Pssh, I have turtle-tanks
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:PAINTBALL SMURF

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:19 AM

I like the all dirt bunker, thats a beast. But I think you shouldn't dig out everything, just a few things. Cuz when you do dig everything out every bunker is like a small pillbox or something like that. But nice info
People for the
Eating of
Tasty
Animals

Vote for the Whiteboard

#27 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:18 AM

View Postcontroller, on Aug 15 2006, 05:50 AM, said:

absolutely. and i highly suggest you bring it to the attention of the IT department and they may possibly add it into the website (if you want) and if it's good :(

Well it seems boredom and curiosity got the best of me last night and I started on it anyway. I'm just putting together a quick narrative script before I start making things out. I think it'll be a lot easier to animate things to go along with the sound than it will to make the sound go along with the animation.

So far this is kind of what I have in mind for the layout of the script:

Intro to field building
- What types of fields
- What it takes
- How much it will cost

Scouting out the land - Deciding where to start building your field
Technical business stuff
- Zoning
- Business License
- Tax stuff
- Insurance
Field procedure
- Refs
- Field Rules
- Field Safety
- Release Forms and waivers
- Rental Kits
- Field Paint
- Fill Stations
- Pricing
Field Setup
- Field Size
- Types of Bunkers
- Bunker Construction
- Bunker Placement
- Field Layout
- Paths and clearings
- Signs(Goggles On, No tresspassing, etc.)
Field Ammenities(?SP?)
- Bathrooms
- Food
- Parking
- Entry/Exit Roads or driveways

That's all I can think of for right now, let me know if I missed anything. I'll probably be fleshing it out a bit later today. I'll post the full script when I'm done to see what you guys think, but a lot of it will probably just be re-iterating(?SP?) what has already been said.

#28 User is offline   obiwan 

• Super duper Master special #1 member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:bravo4569

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:48 AM

That ghetto speedball field is sweet.Now you need a snake to finish things of :D

#29 User is offline   Harrie_Bunyuon 

• ^Drink of Champions^
  • Pip

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:44 PM

I'll take some short 1 minute videos of my bunkers so you can get a better feel of them.

I have to use my digital camera to do it so they might not be that high res.

Sheriff Matt, if you need anything for your video just send me a PM, always willing to do what I can.

#30 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:03 PM

So here's the script I have written out so far for the flash animation of the field building guide, it's turning out to be more of a full length feature film than a short animation though:

When starting out before you even get it in your head that you want to make your own field, you've got to decide whether or not you're going to set it up for public use or private use. The difference being, if you're going to open it up for public use then you're going to need insurance. This is not one of those "Well I'll get it eventually." things. YOU NEED INSURANCE. If you're going private than itís not as big of a deal but is still recommended.

If you don't have anyone employed by your field/store that has more than 3 years experience and a certification, your insurance premiums are going to be pretty high, and can run you about twice as much as it would cost you otherwise. Also the policy you get might be kind of limiting as well. This can be a big factor in deciding whether opening a field is right for you or not.

Before I get too deep into insurance I want to go over the different types of paintball fields. There are 3 major styles of play in paintball, Woodsball, Scenario, and Speedball. Thereís also recball and outlaw, as well as several variations. For this guide I will be mainly dealing with Woodsball.

Building a paintball field takes more than money and know how, it takes everything that a normal business would take, location, customers, and a mind for business. You canít just build a field and expect people to come and give you their money. Once you get over the location and zoning hurdles you can start worrying about how much money itís going to cost you to start up your new paintball field.

How much is it going to cost? Well keep in mind youíre not just going to need money for the initial setup, youíre also going to need money for running costs for the first 6 months. Why 6 months? Well if youíre lucky that might be when you start breaking even. With any business it takes at least a year before you can expect to start making any sort of profit. The actual costs are going to depend on the situation and location of the field. For example, a field in Hollywood California is naturally going to be more expensive to start up and keep running than a field in rural Kansas, which brings me to my next subject, deciding where to start building your field.

The location of your field is going to be important. You want to make sure that itís easily accessible and well endowed with natural cover and areas to build structures for bathrooms, snack bars, pro shop, etc. The less cultivation and actual work the field needs before you start construction will make it easier on your wallet. You also want to check with your local town hall to make sure the land is zoned for a paintball field type of business, and also while youíre there make sure you have all the correct permits to build on the property.

When choosing a location for your field, make sure you find a location that isnít on a hill or that has a lot of uneven terrain. The ideal setup for most fields is going to be a level playing field with a good amount of large trees and some brush. Iím not saying that hills and valleys are no good for paintball! But itís good to have between 1/3 and 2/3 of the field be level.

How much land is too much? Well depending on how many different fields you want to build, too much is never enough but I would generally say about 3-5 acres for woodsball fields and 1-1.5 acres for speedball fields and smaller novelty fields. Ideally itís nice to have an extra 2 or 3 acres to play around with and use for any buildings and parking areas you might need. So to start with maybe you want to build a rather large woodsball field and a couple smaller speedball fields and maybe have a picnic area and a good shooting range/chrono setup. That right there will run you about 11-12 acres worth of land. Keep in mind that an acre is not a linear measurement but a square of land that measures approximately 209 feet by 209 feet. Thatís about 2/3ís the size of a football field which is 360 feet by 160 feet. So 10 acres isnít exactly a small chunk of land.

This is all I have written so far. As I write more I'll edit the post and update it.

Share this topic:

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users