Special Ops Paintball: Broke steel braided hose for my Dogleg stock... - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Broke steel braided hose for my Dogleg stock... Bought a replacement but doesn't work! Modify? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

What I didn't realise was that paintball lines don't normally come with a "swivel" end like the line that came with the dogleg stock, so when I bought a replacement 10" line, short of threading my stock on to the line (no guarantee it will be straight), it will not go on as the whole line (which is threaded into the bottom of my 98C) will have to turn.

Basically, my line broke right behind the swivel portion and the air bursts out from behind (it can move forward and back on the swivel portion now -_-).

So - I just thought of something when I found more replacement parts on a Canadian site...while I don't see any swivel fittings, I noticed that I could try putting on a quick disconnect pairing!

Posted Image

Would this be safe? I would imagine so as there is already a quick disconnect on the back of the air-thru stock :laugh: it might even make it more convenient for taking my gun apart (I used to have to use a wrench to take the line out of the stock)!

http://www.paintballgear.ca/product/Quick_...1|8%22_NPT.html
http://www.paintballgear.ca/product/Quick_...1|8%22_NPT.html

Also, would it be better to get the stainless steel versions? Or will those do? It costs twice as much :)

http://www.paintballgear.ca/product/Stainl...et_1|8_NPT.html

#2 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

A quick disconnect is fine there. It may leak a little (though probably not enough to worry about), but keep the o-ring oiled and you'll be good to go. I use something similar on my 68 Carbine.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#3 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

Haha yeah at this point it leaks so bad from under the teflon tape that I can't even dry fire it -_- Oring? Like when I pull the sliding part back?

I should probably do that for my remote line too eh? :P

EDIT: Btw, I noticed lines often come with what appears to be teflon tape already wrapped on to help seal it - or is that loctite? I have something similar to loctite from Canadian Tire should I need to use it, but am not sure how. I would put it on, screw it in, THEN let it dry?

Ugh so ignorant ><

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 24 April 2010 - 06:16 PM

#4 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

They come with a sealant putty-type material already applied to them. It's not Loctite. Loctite is applied in liquid form to the threads. Then you screw it on and let it dry. However, I must caution you to be VERY careful which Loctite you buy and use. Blue Loctite is great for sealing stuff, and, when used correctly, will give you a perfect seal 100% of the time. It can also be broken easily should you need to take the part off. Red Loctite, on the other hand, is permanent. It must be heated to 300 degrees before it will break. Don't use red Loctite. It's bad. Enough said.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#5 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

View PostWardenWolf, on Apr 24 2010, 07:24 PM, said:

They come with a sealant putty-type material already applied to them. It's not Loctite. Loctite is applied in liquid form to the threads. Then you screw it on and let it dry. However, I must caution you to be VERY careful which Loctite you buy and use. Blue Loctite is great for sealing stuff, and, when used correctly, will give you a perfect seal 100% of the time. It can also be broken easily should you need to take the part off. Red Loctite, on the other hand, is permanent. It must be heated to 300 degrees before it will break. Don't use red Loctite. It's bad. Enough said.

Hmmm well I threaded in one part of my new line and then realised it wouldn't work so a portion of the putty is off now but I hope it holds and I don't have to worry :P I don't remember what I have it's not actual Loctite brand and I believe its designed for use on cars lol...so I imagine its permanent type stuff.

I don't remember but I checked ratings its for high heat/temperature (over 3000 psi I believe, it's been a while).
In any case, hope I don't have to bother and it seals on its own with the putty :) doesn't look like the quick connect pieces will have it on.

Btw, decided to go with the steel - sure it's double the price, but if the others failed well I'd have to buy them again or the steel ones and that's a pain :blink:

Thanks wolf!

#6 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:02 AM

Hey again...ran into a problem:

I got my male/female quick disconnects 1/8 NPT just like my hose...I thought that was the threading size? Apparently not, or the company I ordered from screwed up...

Can I just get stuff at a hardware store to try to get it to adapt or is that not going to have the proper safety rating?

It seems that the steel braided hose's thread is bigger than the male end of my quick disconnect...which apparently doesn't fit my stock.

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 28 April 2010 - 12:38 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users