Special Ops Paintball: Throat Mic Review - IXRadio XTM85R-G1 - Special Ops Paintball

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Throat Mic Review - IXRadio XTM85R-G1 Something better than FireFox?

#136 User is offline   Fets25 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Fets25

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:57 PM

View Postspudcrazy, on Jun 19 2006, 12:16 PM, said:

View Postsartek, on Jun 5 2006, 01:04 PM, said:

I've noticed that throat mics dont work for everyone.

Well, I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones :( . I tried with a teammate again this weekend. We play with it for over an hour and just couldn't get it to sound clear enough for me or my teammate. We know it must be our throat dynamics, as it does work on one of my teammates, but unfortunately, he has one of his own. Needless to say, if anyone's interest in one, just PM me. I have one that's never been used in the field. Bummer, I was really looking forward to using it. :dodgy: So for now, I've modified a boom mic to have a remote PTT.

Yeah, my team is not having much luck either. One guy got so frustrated he went to a lapel mic.

#137 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SARTEK

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:16 PM

I'm looking into making a throat strap for mine to see if it helps improve the transmissions any. If it works, I'll let you guys know. I might even be able to send some out.
"I tinker, therefore I am" - Doc Nickel
DOT HazMat Geek, Airsmith, Tinkerer

#138 User is offline   Sir Brass 

• He who bears the mark of those infected with Palmeritis
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sir Brass

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:52 PM

View Postsartek, on Oct 18 2005, 01:10 AM, said:

On a side note, make sure you shave before using one of these.. contact on bare skin is best.. I noticed that the further into the weekend for the game, the worse the transmissions became from the stubble on my neck rubbing under the transducer coils.

Dear lord, yes. And shave like you're on your wedding night: NO hair on the neck PERIOD. It lengthens the time before your beard stubble starts to be a problem.

What about those of us with skinny necks? I've always had a problem with throat mics working with me, mainly because the band will ALWAYS slip down and not press properly to the side of my throat. Best solution I had was to literally duct tape the thing to my neck. And after a day of play, taking that off HURT (stubble growing up and sticking to the adhesive....thus yanked out when tape is pulled).
PPS Blazer (BZ2431): Veera, CCM SS-25: Emily
CPPA Member 1334
Famous last words: "Aw, crap." ~ Jake

#139 User is offline   Septimus 

• Ninja
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Septimus

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

Thanks, Sartek! I was hoping someone would find a throat mic they really liked. I'll definitely pick this one up.

I'll also see if I can make an elastic strap to keep it held tightly on your throat. If I come up with an effective design, I'll post it in here.
IPB Image

You'll probably shoot me about 8 times per game, but I will totally have a witty comeback for each shot.

#140 User is offline   Fets25 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:47 AM

View Postsartek, on Jun 19 2006, 08:16 PM, said:

I'm looking into making a throat strap for mine to see if it helps improve the transmissions any. If it works, I'll let you guys know. I might even be able to send some out.

I bought a throat strap for $14. It is the Iasus one they use for their sniper series of throat mics - you can purchase it seperate and it fits the IXRADIO mic just fine.

#141 User is offline   BlueJoe 

• Paintball Is A Religion, Many Attend, Few Understand
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlueJoe

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:21 AM

View PostRedwood28, on Oct 20 2005, 11:56 PM, said:

I'm just curious how big are you guys necks. My group just bought the Iasus NT2 throat mics and they are non-adjustable and made for a 15"-17" neck. Now I'm looking for a way to mod this thing to fit some of us that have much larger necks. Any ideas?

Manual mod! lol... Im talking about the good stuff... the cool, the strong, the sticky, TAPE!

=]

ARG! NVM sorry, i thought u said ur necks are Smaller! lol

NVM THIS POSTTTTT

This post has been edited by BlueJoe: 12 July 2006 - 07:22 AM

#142 User is offline   Sir Brass 

• He who bears the mark of those infected with Palmeritis
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sir Brass

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:25 AM

View Postsartek, on Oct 20 2005, 10:30 PM, said:

wow.. that's big.. my neck is 17" and the transducers sit just to the side of my trachea comfortably.. I'm sure that you can modify them for larger necks, just turn them slightly offset so that at least one transducer sits in the correct location.

What about those of us with thinner necks. I know for a fact that my neck is only about 14" (I'm super skinny, thanks to an insanely high metabolism....it's a mixed blessing), and my problem with the firefox throat mics are that they WILL NOT stay on, b/c my neck is too skinny.

Will I have a problem with these throat mics, or are they adjustable for people with much thinner necks?
PPS Blazer (BZ2431): Veera, CCM SS-25: Emily
CPPA Member 1334
Famous last words: "Aw, crap." ~ Jake

#143 User is offline   hacker460 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:hacker460

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:17 PM

exactly which mic and setup did you get.
IPB Image
Feet first into hell...when I get there i'll be sure to tell you how it is...yeehaw!!!

#144 User is offline   woodsballrules 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gandalfmight

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:02 PM

Are thorat mics really worth all this trouble? Or would a simple headset be better?

#145 User is offline   Fets25 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:33 PM

View Postwoodsballrules, on Nov 25 2006, 05:02 PM, said:

Are thorat mics really worth all this trouble? Or would a simple headset be better?

Throat mics definitely have an advantage. It depends on your playing style. I am now team commander for a 20+ person team, so for me it is more important to have clear communication than a tactical fit. Our pointmen, and snipers benefit more from a throat mic because their communications are shorter and they need it to fit well and be tactical.

#146 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:05 PM

And your snipers can whisper, which would be a big plus... I'm gonna which of these would work with my friend's Cobra radios we sometimes use for paintballing. I'd love to have one, and I might have enough money after all my other buyings this summer to get one.

-J'92
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#147 User is offline   zd_98c 

• Bond...James Bond
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:zd_98c

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for the review...Glad I looked here before buying a firefox.... These look better and are cheeper
ZD_98c
IPB Image

#148 User is offline   ~LURCH~ 

• Elite Sniper
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:~LURCH~

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

I have the IX radio throat mic and I have been having a problem with mine half way through the day. Everything works great then a few hours of playing and it stays on. its like the ptt button is stuck on but i can still click it so I know its not jammed. Has this happened to anyone else?????

Your Rear End is the only thing to wipe. View My Special Ops Brigade Page
webdog radio warpig

#149 User is offline   zd_98c 

• Bond...James Bond
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:zd_98c

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:12 AM

I have the IX radio throat mic and I have been having a problem with mine half way through the day. Everything works great then a few hours of playing and it stays on. its like the ptt button is stuck on but i can still click it so I know its not jammed. Has this happened to anyone else?????

Hmmm.... We had that problem when we tried using headsets that did't suppport our radios. It was the same size pin, and fit perfectly but that doesn't seem like your case if it did work. Another time the pin didnt fit right and if it was pushed all the way in it would'nt work, we had to pull the pin out just about 1mm. and then it worked fine.
ZD_98c
IPB Image

#150 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SARTEK

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:20 PM

ZD-98c.. it sounds liek you were using moto headsets with another brand.. Moto makes their accessory pins longer than standard.

Lurch, it sounds like your radio may be kicking into a vox mode, if possible.

I know that for as long as I've had mine, I've never run into any problems with it yet, and I'm looking to buy a few more headsets from IXradio, in different types, just to try them out.
"I tinker, therefore I am" - Doc Nickel
DOT HazMat Geek, Airsmith, Tinkerer

Share this topic:

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users