• You cannot reply to this topic

wear goggles

#1 User is offline   six one alpha 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:six one alpha

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:58 PM

This is not exactly an original piece. It is based loosely on a Chicago Tribune June 1, 1997 ďcommencement addressĒ by Mary Schmich.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Paintball Players of all ages;

WEAR GOGGLES!!!

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, Goggles would be it. The long term benefits of goggles have been proven by the Industry and should be immediately SELF-EVIDENT, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your marker. Never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your marker the minute a newer, faster, ďbetterĒ one is on the market. But trust me, in two years youíll look back at the games youíve played and recall in a way no one else can grasp how much fun it was.

That tree is NOT as fat as it looks.

Donít worry about the cheaters; or worry, but know that doing so will not change how YOU play. The real problems in your game are apt to be things that never crossed your mind; the kind that blindside you seconds after the ďGame-onĒ signal sounds.

Pull one move on the field per game that scares you.

SHOUT!

Donít be reckless with the rules, donít put up with people who are.

CHRONY, OFTEN.

Donít waste your time with standings; sometimes youíre ahead, sometimes youíre behind. The Tournament is long, and in the end, itís only with yourself.

Remember the compliments you receive; forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old markers; throw away your old paintballs.

STRETCH.

Donít feel guilty about the games you didnít win. The most interesting people I knew didnít win them all, some of the most interesting still donít.

Get plenty of rest.

Be kind to your knees, youíll miss them when theyíre gone. Maybe youíll join a team, maybe you wonít, maybe youíll rec-ball, maybe youíll speedball, maybe youíll do both, maybe youíll dance the funky chicken while you ref. Whatever you do, donít congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself, either. Your shots are half chance, so are everybody elseís. Enjoy your marker, use it every way you can. Donít be afraid of it, or what other people think of it, itís the greatest sports instrument ever.

DUCK. Even if itís your own team shooting at you.

READ THE RULES. FOLLOW THE RULES.

Prepare your equipment BEFORE leaving to go to the field.

Get to know your parents; you never know when you might be playing against them.

Be nice to your siblings; they might be the only ones to loan you money to play, and the people most likely to join you in the future.

Understand that teammates come and go, but for the precious few you should hold on to. Work hard to bridge the gaps in style and communication because the further you go, the more youíll need the people you knew when you started.

Play speedball, but leave before it makes you hard; play in the woods but leave before it makes you too dirty.

Travel to tournaments.

Accept certain inalienable truths, paintball prices will rise, markers will shoot faster, and you too will get older, and when you do youíll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, markers were slower and newbies respected experienced players.

Respect experienced players.

Donít expect anyone else to do your work for you. Maybe youíre wealthy, maybe youíll have a sponsor; but youíll never know when either one might run out.

Donít mess too much with your marker, or by the time itís 1, itíll look 5.

Be careful whoís advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is an experienced players way of pulling the past from the kit bag, wiping the paint off it, and recycling it for more than it was worth.

BUT TRUST ME ON THE GOGGLES!!!
:unsure:
61A-EYES AND EARS
Can one mind make a difference? EVERY difference is made...ONE MIND AT A TIME!

#2 User is offline   foozeball67 

• Intergalactic Overlord of the United States of Wisconsin
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:05 PM

um... I see you're new and all, so that's why I won't be harsh.... you posted this in the wrong place, buddy, but thanks for posting it anyways.

#3 User is offline   six one alpha 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

Sorry about that. Ya I'm NEW... so new :unsure: Don't know how to move it where it belongs. So it's in the area of "just about anything"

This post has been edited by six one alpha: 10 November 2007 - 06:11 PM

61A-EYES AND EARS

#4 User is offline   foozeball67 

• Intergalactic Overlord of the United States of Wisconsin
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:18 PM

well, puzzy's here, so I assume he'll move it... if I'm right. :unsure:

in any case, welcome to the forums.

#5 User is offline   six one alpha 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

Well I see that it's been moved. Ummm...Safety? It was intended to be humourous. You know like "Wear Sunscreen"? :angry: But thanks anyways for taking it seriously.

This post has been edited by six one alpha: 10 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

61A-EYES AND EARS

#6 User is offline   thebostinian 

• SOFA Favorite Member Title 2009
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thebostinian

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:24 AM

no, this isn't just humorous, it's a good post. there is some pretty funny stuff in your post, but the safety stuff is the most important of all. sure, the game may be fun, but if it ain't safe, it ain't worth playing.

This post has been edited by thebostinian: 11 November 2007 - 01:24 AM

"Yeah, but a thread that started out as borderline weird and creepy to begin with has now taken a left turn into 'Deliverance." - Violator
Don't try to pronounce the second "o". Instead, try realize the truth: there is no second "o"

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users