Special Ops Paintball: Tanning Salons Dangerous? - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tanning Salons Dangerous? Any inputs? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   KILLER TRENT 

• You show me an inch, and I'll show you the deadbox.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:snipa trent

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

Ok so one of my friends has been going to a tanning salon lately because she "hates her pale skin" even though half the girls at our school are more white than her. Coincidentally, in our Health class today we studied sun burns and Skin Cancer. It said one big thing that causes it is tanning salons and being the worry wort I am I started freaking out cause last year my grandma died of cancer and I'm really tired of all this cancer crap you know? I told her about it and she just rolled her eyes about it and said she was going to continue going. Are Tanning Salons really that bad? And if so what the heck do I to do to try and convince her to stop going? Thanks.
(Many apologies if I just wasted your time....)

#2 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

Yes. UV radiation messes up your cells.

#3 User is offline   KILLER TRENT 

• PipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

View Postghost93, on Apr 23 2009, 06:56 PM, said:

What I don't get then is why the heck our government wouldn't try to close these places down?? Or at least make the places warn their customers of what it may cause.

#4 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:07 PM

View PostKILLER TRENT, on Apr 23 2009, 09:00 PM, said:

What I don't get then is why the heck our government wouldn't try to close these places down?? Or at least make the places warn their customers of what it may cause.

Because it's not really a sure thing that you'll get cancer. It just raises the chances.

#5 User is offline   KILLER TRENT 

• PipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

View Postghost93, on Apr 23 2009, 07:07 PM, said:

View PostKILLER TRENT, on Apr 23 2009, 09:00 PM, said:

Because it's not really a sure thing that you'll get cancer. It just raises the chances.

K. Still it bugs me that she wouldnt listen :rolleyes:

#6 User is offline   evillepaintball 

• You won't do it! You ain't crazy!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sunshine ac-05

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

yes, and here is why. there are i think 3 types of UV radiation, A B and C. I dont remember which does what, but thats not really important so we will just say the following. UV A rays do not penetrate very far and are what is responsible for burns/tans. UV B rays penetrate further and are what is responsible for cancer. the problem with tanning beds is that they emit almost entirely UV B rays and not very many UV A rays compared to the sun. What that means is that to get the same amount of UV A from a tanning bed, you have to be exposed to far greater UV B than if you just layed out in the sun.

also, at least in IN, they are required to disclose info on the dangers of using them and you must sign a waiver of liability.

This post has been edited by evillepaintball: 23 April 2009 - 08:59 PM

"it just doesnt look cool unless you're riding a yamazuki zx1200rrr" - C9H13NO3

#7 User is offline   Spektre 

• Forum Stalker
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPEKTRE

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:38 PM

Nice post, Eville. I think they are dumb, but some girls "need" it to boost their self esteem because no one ever taught them how to be happy and secure without feeling "sexy." Some people like it, though, and that's their prerogative. It's like cigarettes, smoking them is a very bad idea, but I'm not going to tell you not to. If you live in this day and time you know they are dangerous, and it's your call whether or not you use the product. It doesn't effect me if you damage your body (other than the argument of second hand smoke, but that's not entirely relevant here).
SPEKTRE, Recon Element
Grim Reapers Paintball

#8 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

View PostSpektre, on Apr 24 2009, 12:38 AM, said:

Nice post, Eville. I think they are dumb, but some girls "need" it to boost their self esteem because no one ever taught them how to be happy and secure without feeling "sexy." Some people like it, though, and that's their prerogative. It's like cigarettes, smoking them is a very bad idea, but I'm not going to tell you not to. If you live in this day and time you know they are dangerous, and it's your call whether or not you use the product. It doesn't effect me if you damage your body (other than the argument of second hand smoke, but that's not entirely relevant here).

Second hand UVB....... Good one. ;) "Dude, could you not tan around me? I'm allergic to UVB."

And I also agree with your opinion....
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#9 User is offline   Spektre 

• Forum Stalker
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPEKTRE

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

View PostI.K.E., on Apr 24 2009, 01:50 AM, said:

Second hand UVB....... Good one. :D "Dude, could you not tan around me? I'm allergic to UVB."

Hey, that crap kills, and I don't want it around me... ;) :happy:

*Funny side story*

Best friend was having a birthday party and two of his cousins, as well as one of their friends, were there. Well, tanning was brought up and one of my friends who all too often speaks before he thinks says something along the lines of No straight man would ever tan. Just then the friend who came with the cousins admits that he tans every now and then... Talk about foot in mouth.
SPEKTRE, Recon Element
Grim Reapers Paintball

#10 User is offline   KILLER TRENT 

• PipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

View PostSpektre, on Apr 23 2009, 10:55 PM, said:

View PostI.K.E., on Apr 24 2009, 01:50 AM, said:

Second hand UVB....... Good one. :D "Dude, could you not tan around me? I'm allergic to UVB."

Hey, that crap kills, and I don't want it around me... ;) :happy:

*Funny side story*

Best friend was having a birthday party and two of his cousins, as well as one of their friends, were there. Well, tanning was brought up and one of my friends who all too often speaks before he thinks says something along the lines of No straight man would ever tan. Just then the friend who came with the cousins admits that he tans every now and then... Talk about foot in mouth.

hahahaha u can call that a fail lol

#11 User is offline   robin92490 

• Brownie Points- 160
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:robin92490

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:35 AM

Spektre- Although i completely agree with what you said, about girls having low self-esteem, Theres ALOT of factors there. One of the big ones, MEN. Girls are taught at a young age that guys like thin, tan, blonde, big chested girls. I know this isnt always true, but society teaches girls that in order to be happy, you have to be pretty. What girl DOESNT want a boyfriend? Thats why you see girls in jr. high dressing the way they do.

Tanning beds can have alot of benefit, simply because the light emitted is about 40% less UVB rays than what the sun produces, UVB is what causes cancer. Tanning inside allows you to control how much UVB and UVA rays (produces Vitamin D) you put into your skin. Seeing how beds are designed with filters people generally tan more then they burn. Tanning beds help with other things too. I have a cousin with a skin condition, the doctor prescribed him 5 mins in the tanning beds every few days. The same thing goes with SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder. Ever wonder why you are slightly less happy in the winter? Its not just because its cold. Its the amount of sunlight you get. Alot of people that suffer from winter based SAD visit tanning beds for treatment.

When the problem arises is when people go TOO much. People especially younger women are ADDICTED to tanning.
Women who use tanning beds more than once a month are 55 percent more likely to develop malignant melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer.

Trent- She really should avoid tanning beds unless shes doing it in moderation. If she wants a good tan she would do best to tan in short five minute increments and allow several weeks to a month to achieve her goal.Instead of going to a tanning salon, try tanning sprays. Actually some salons now provide only tanning spray services.

Theres a greater risk for people with fair skin; blonde, red, or light hair; and blue, green, or gray eyes. Artificial tanning can also be more dangerous for those who burn easily, or have a family member who has had skin cancer.

Be sure to keep a good eye out for any abnormalities (like bumps or sores that don't heal) or moles that have changed size, color or shape. Be sure to check all areas. women have a higher risk of contracting skin cancer on their legs, and men have a higher risk of getting it on their backs.If caught early skin cancer is now almost 100 percent curable.

Here in Michigan you have to be 18 to tan without a parents permission, because of the health issues. and a parent/guardian must accompany children under the age of 14.

You can find the state laws for tanning, and the introduced legislation at this link..
http://www.ncsl.org/...estrictions.htm
<3 Will/Ghostinthewood

I secretly like Teddy more than anyone.

#12 User is offline   light-u-up 

• Everybody needs seizures!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:light-u-up

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:34 AM

alot of girls do it in my school. and we probably have like 5 guys that do it to. Some of the guys have to do it for medical reasons.
But I'll hit up the barber shop with my bud before practice and there girls that are tanner than I don't even know since there tanner than anyone naturally, are going to tan more. Its crazy, I don't hate tanning, I like my girls with some color. But some of those girls are going too dark/orange.

#13 User is offline   KILLER TRENT 

• PipPip

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

View Postrobin92490, on Apr 24 2009, 05:35 AM, said:

Spektre- Although i completely agree with what you said, about girls having low self-esteem, Theres ALOT of factors there. One of the big ones, MEN. Girls are taught at a young age that guys like thin, tan, blonde, big chested girls. I know this isnt always true, but society teaches girls that in order to be happy, you have to be pretty. What girl DOESNT want a boyfriend? Thats why you see girls in jr. high dressing the way they do.

Tanning beds can have alot of benefit, simply because the light emitted is about 40% less UVB rays than what the sun produces, UVB is what causes cancer. Tanning inside allows you to control how much UVB and UVA rays (produces Vitamin D) you put into your skin. Seeing how beds are designed with filters people generally tan more then they burn. Tanning beds help with other things too. I have a cousin with a skin condition, the doctor prescribed him 5 mins in the tanning beds every few days. The same thing goes with SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder. Ever wonder why you are slightly less happy in the winter? Its not just because its cold. Its the amount of sunlight you get. Alot of people that suffer from winter based SAD visit tanning beds for treatment.

When the problem arises is when people go TOO much. People especially younger women are ADDICTED to tanning.
Women who use tanning beds more than once a month are 55 percent more likely to develop malignant melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer.

Trent- She really should avoid tanning beds unless shes doing it in moderation. If she wants a good tan she would do best to tan in short five minute increments and allow several weeks to a month to achieve her goal.Instead of going to a tanning salon, try tanning sprays. Actually some salons now provide only tanning spray services.

Theres a greater risk for people with fair skin; blonde, red, or light hair; and blue, green, or gray eyes. Artificial tanning can also be more dangerous for those who burn easily, or have a family member who has had skin cancer.

Be sure to keep a good eye out for any abnormalities (like bumps or sores that don't heal) or moles that have changed size, color or shape. Be sure to check all areas. women have a higher risk of contracting skin cancer on their legs, and men have a higher risk of getting it on their backs.If caught early skin cancer is now almost 100 percent curable.

Here in Michigan you have to be 18 to tan without a parents permission, because of the health issues. and a parent/guardian must accompany children under the age of 14.

You can find the state laws for tanning, and the introduced legislation at this link..

Aight thanks a bunch Robin. I was really starting to get worried about it so this helped tht go away. I'll make sure to try and spot any weird bumps (on the parts of her im allowed to look at without getting a slap to the face :huh: )

#14 User is offline   evillepaintball 

• You won't do it! You ain't crazy!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sunshine ac-05

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:40 PM

View Postrobin92490, on Apr 24 2009, 05:35 AM, said:

In fact, they may be even more dangerous. Natural sunlight contains a mixture of both short-wave UV-B and longer wave UV-A rays. Both UV-A and UV-B exposures can lead to premature ageing of the skin, and both increase a person's risk of developing skin cancer, including malignant melanoma. The difference is that UV-B rays cause more rapid tanning and burning while UV-A rays do not cause burning until exposure levels are very high.

Indoor tanning booths and beds most commonly use ultraviolet bulbs that emit predominantly UV-A rays. Unfortunately, UV-A rays penetrate more deeply into the skin and can even adversely affect the cells involved in the body's immune response in addition to raising an individual's risk of developing malignant melanoma and other cancers of the skin.

In conclusion, there is no scientific evidence that the use of tanning beds and booths is any less damaging or harmful than exposure to outdoor sunlight. To the contrary, the evidence suggests that indoor tanning may be even more damaging and dangerous, especially because some people become addicted to maintaining a deep, dark tan irrespective of the season.

Reference: "Sunbeds, tanning and UV exposure". World Health Organization (WHO) Fact Sheet No. 287, March 2005.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art...rticlekey=47482
"it just doesnt look cool unless you're riding a yamazuki zx1200rrr" - C9H13NO3

#15 User is offline   Ecellg 

• Landing gear 25' from plane.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ecellg

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

You guys got this covered, but btw eville, the three main types (there are others, but these are the main) of radiation are Alpha, Beta, and Gamma.
FULDA GAP 2009
Serving In The:
U.S. 3rd Mechanized Infantry Division/3rd Brigade 3-22 Infantry
NATO WILL Be Victorious This Next Year

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users