• You cannot reply to this topic

Tactics in CQB My recent experience. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:39 PM

On June 28th, I was at a sceeario game. The final battle entaled one team defending the GHOST Town at P&L Paintball in Bridgewater, Ma, while the other team assaulted. I was on the assaulting forces side. The force I was with was made up of 6 players.

We quickly skirted the ouside of the building, skipping the main entrances, which were 2 ramps a large main entrance. Each side of the Ghost town has 2 entrances that lead into the buildings. Most of my team were into the 2 side entrance when I noticed a half dozen or so players on the 2nd story in a corner room. They were looking towards the center section of the town, so I was unnoticed. I took a BT M-12 grenade, told the ref that was stnading next to me what I was going to do. I then threw the grenade through the door leading into the room. I told the ref so that we would make sure the ref in the room would eliminate anyone hit with paint. I moved into the building, where the rest of my team was. We moved up in a leap frogging style. The point man would move up to a point where he could fire on anyone in front of him. We made it to about halfway through the building when we ran into a corner where a number of the OPFOR were located. We were unable to eliminate any of the OPFOR due to the angles we were firing from but the same thing applied to them. I opted for another M-12 grenade. Again, the grenade cleared out the room. We quickly advanced.

At this point, we now had to pay attention to the windows. We were receiving fire from the opposite side of the field. When we came to a window we either moved past it quick or got into a crouch to move by it. The next corridor held a different challenge. There were several players down it but we could not move up. There were side entrances that had a small foyer. Players had gathered in them in groups of 2 and 3. At this point, I back tracked at went outside the building. There was a window at the end of the hallway. This window was at an angle, so I was firing into a 2-3 inch gap from where I was standing. I managed to eliminate 2-3 OPFOR before getting hit. I ran back to the reinsert area, cleaned off the hit, grabbed 2 more M-12 grenades and made my way back to where I had been hit. We were still stalled out, so I went back to the position I had before but I crawled below the window, made my way to the next door. At this point, I pulled an M-12 out, pulled the pin, and threw it in, clearing out another section. There were no more OPFOR in that corridor. We were now able to move under the reinsert of the OPFOR. We remained extremely quiet so as not to alert everyone overhead. The stomping of boots was almost deafening overhead and one of the ramps leading down to the ground level left us exposed, so we had to be that much more careful. We moved across to the other side of the Ghost Town where we started taking firing. As it turned out, it was one of our players. One member of my team stuck his arm out, flashing his arm band. We prepped a small team to assault the upper story. Right above where we were was a group of the OPFOR. I'm exactly sure how many were there. I pulled my last grenade and backed out and looked up. I had a perfect shot into the area directly above us. I told my team what I was going to do and had them wait until I threw the grenade. I threw the M-12 hard and my team took off. We quickly cleared the area and 10 seconds later the game was over and we had raised both our flags for 500 points per flag.

Now before you say smoke grenades would have been good, there's no way. The corridors are too narrow for that. Any smoke thrown would be as much of a hinderance as it would be beneficial. The defenders could just shoot away until the smoke cleared.

P&L Video This video will give you a good idea of the layout of the Ghost Town.

This post has been edited by Knightwolf16: 03 July 2008 - 12:41 PM

"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#2 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:44 PM

That was intense. Great story, great tactics, that could've been in a magazine ;). Sadly I don't have any fields up here where there are areas enclosed enough for grenades, but I have lobbed several over random hills and such, getting interesting/surprising results.
-Ty :D

#3 User is offline   Almost_drunk 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:almost_drunk

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:41 AM

MAN! i have a ton of tactics about MOUT i could post, but i dont have time. you like granades tho dont you? IRL you have to be more careful with them, as the granades could potentialy cause too much damage to the building (blasting out teh wall your team is stacked against) . I will post one tactic I learned right here in the good old USMC Infantry, it is called pieing a window, its a great way to make sure a room is clear (or clear it if you must/dont have a better way) from teh outside.

Pieing a window/door: when you approch a window move around it in a semi circle marker up. dont stick your barrel so close to eh window so that it could be grabbed (only really applies to real life). imagine your barrel is on a swivle and your more or less rotating the marker around that. this is usefull so you can see most of teh angles in the room, and you basicly cleared it. when walking in your semi circle make sure you walk normally and dont do crossover steps as this might trip you, just make sure your marker is allways up and ready to rock if need be. while you are walking in the semi circle move your sight/barrel up and down slowly to observe for any loopholes (holes in the building you could get shot from) or booby traps (prolly dosent applie to PB that much) and when you are pieing from one side to the other go ahead and carry on with your walking along the wall.

sorry if that was hard to read and about teh grammer i typed it out fast and have no desire to change it.

hope that helps!

#4 User is offline   BlackLight Z 

• Fast Mover Tactical Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BLC_Zone

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:14 AM

Now before you say smoke grenades would have been good, there's no way. The corridors are too narrow for that. Any smoke thrown would be as much of a hinderance as it would be beneficial. The defenders could just shoot away until the smoke cleared.

I am a big believer in the use of smoke so this response may be biased. But we've used it many times to mask movement, assist in advances, to literally smoke opponents out of key positions and a combination of all three. But wouldn't your opponents wasting their paint in a "war of attrition" be useful, especially since they were essentially trapped with no resupply? Also, don't most people shoot at chest level when they can't see? If so, would belly crawling an individual forward because there is limited visibilty be effective? Just thoughts.......

One more thing about grenades, if possible throw them off the ceiling of the room you are clearing to maximize the kill radius. if you bounce them of a wall or 2 usually a large amount of paint ends up on the wall and then ground, with the ceiling there is more time for the splatter to disperse as it is higher. Of course there exceptions due to room size, contents, numbers etc. but I've found this to be the most effective method of employing a paint grenade while clearing rooms. Moral of the story, higher is better.

IRL you have to be more careful with them, as the granades could potentialy cause too much damage to the building (blasting out teh wall your team is stacked against) .

These aren't explosive grenades, just paint pumped into surgical tubing with wither a ballbearing or rubberband securing it.

This post has been edited by BlackLight Z: 12 July 2008 - 12:59 AM

Z aka Zone
BlackLight Company Member
There's no charge for awesomeness!!!

#5 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

The BT M-12 grenades actually have a pin that you have to pull. They put the F-bomb to shame. They tend to bounce higher and the pray pattern is a greater radius. Please keep in mind that thie corridors that we were in were fairly tight, maybe 3 feet across at most.

#6 Guest_PhantomSniper1_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:09 PM

The best CQB tactic is blind firing...

;)

#7 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:16 PM

View PostPhantomSniper1, on Jul 10 2008, 06:09 PM, said:

The best CQB tactic is blind firing...

:blush:

Gee, why do I think that blind firing is not a good idea?

#8 User is offline   Almost_drunk 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:almost_drunk

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

View PostBlackLight Z, on Jul 10 2008, 12:14 AM, said:

IRL you have to be more careful with them, as the granades could potentialy cause too much damage to the building (blasting out teh wall your team is stacked against) .

These aren't explosive grenades, just paint pumped into surgical tubing with wither a ballbearing or rubberband securing it.

i know they arnt explosive, i was talking about in a real mout enviroment, when using m67 nades i was just saying we (Marines) dont get the luxury of
throwing a nade into every room or hallway before we enter

#9 User is offline   Cesh 

• nerd-shield dancer
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cesh

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:29 AM

View PostAlmost_drunk, on Jul 10 2008, 08:56 PM, said:

i know they arnt explosive, i was talking about in a real mout enviroment, when using m67 nades i was just saying we (Marines) dont get the luxury of
throwing a nade into every room or hallway before we enter

While I honor your service to your country, I still don't feel like comparing war to paintball. To me, this isn't about realism, this is about fun. Sorry for stomping the mood here, but if I had grenades and I would sure want to use them. I don't have to care for statics of a buildung - it's just paint. And if a well-thrown grenade cleans a room I'd be dumb if I didn't toss one of them over here and over there. :blush:

Location: Hamburg, Germany Camo Pattern: German Flecktarn Marker: Tippmann A5 Sidearm: 32 Degrees Delta .68 /w Picatinny rails
MilSim: VLTOR stock, Metadyne RIS handguard & M4 magazine, rail covers, flashlight, fake laser system, flip-up front sight, QD sling swivels
Tech-Mods: APE Board E-Grip, 12'' Lapco barrel, APEX tip, Straightline barrel set, squishy paddles, QEV, red power tube, red dot sight
Propellant: HP System /w remote, 68/4500 Backup Propellant: HP System, 48/3000

#10 User is offline   BlackLight Z 

• Fast Mover Tactical Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BLC_Zone

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:28 AM

View PostKnightwolf16, on Jul 10 2008, 02:38 PM, said:

Please keep in mind that thie corridors that we were in were fairly tight, maybe 3 feet across at most.

I picked that up. But my point was that in a tactical environment, smoke is used to obscure and/or confuse. In a hallway such as that, smoke would probably be thick enough to completely obscure your movement, and as most people will just natuarally fire at chest level, it may be possible to low crawl up the hall without them seeing you until it is too late.

While I honor your service to your country, I still don't feel like comparing war to paintball. To me, this isn't about realism, this is about fun. Sorry for stomping the mood here, but if I had grenades and I would sure want to use them. I don't have to care for statics of a buildung - it's just paint. And if a well-thrown grenade cleans a room I'd be dumb if I didn't toss one of them over here and over there.

I don't think he was comparing paintball to war. He was only relating his real-life experince as it was related to the topic at hand. I myself missed the "IRL" or "in real life" he started with. Should have read more closely.

But, I also think we are fooling ourselves if we don't sometimes compare our sport to war as long as it is within reason. most everything we do in some way can be related to, or pulled from warfare as almost all aspects are related, ie tactics. There are major differences though such as scope, scale, but most importantly the human cost, so its important for people to draw the line and make that distinction.
Z aka Zone
BlackLight Company Member
There's no charge for awesomeness!!!

#11 User is offline   Cesh 

• nerd-shield dancer
  • PipPip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:46 AM

View PostBlackLight Z, on Jul 12 2008, 01:28 AM, said:

But, I also think we are fooling ourselves if we don't sometimes compare our sport to war as long as it is within reason.

Full ACK. There is a valid comparison regarding origin. But I do not view this sport as war anymore.
I do not see myself as a soldier (and our grenades don't shatter structures). That was my whole point there. :wub:

This post has been edited by Cesh: 12 July 2008 - 03:47 AM

Location: Hamburg, Germany Camo Pattern: German Flecktarn Marker: Tippmann A5 Sidearm: 32 Degrees Delta .68 /w Picatinny rails
MilSim: VLTOR stock, Metadyne RIS handguard & M4 magazine, rail covers, flashlight, fake laser system, flip-up front sight, QD sling swivels
Tech-Mods: APE Board E-Grip, 12'' Lapco barrel, APEX tip, Straightline barrel set, squishy paddles, QEV, red power tube, red dot sight

#12 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:00 AM

The ground floors weren't exactly level on the ground. They were also slippery from puddles. Smoke would be a good item to have but not necessarily the best way to go if only due to safety reasons.

#13 Guest_PhantomSniper1_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:08 AM

View PostKnightwolf16, on Jul 10 2008, 04:16 PM, said:

Other than the fact that you could hit some one many times from an extremely close range without knowing...I don't know.

#14 User is offline   Cesh 

• nerd-shield dancer
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:19 AM

View PostPhantomSniper1, on Jul 12 2008, 09:08 AM, said:

View PostKnightwolf16, on Jul 10 2008, 04:16 PM, said:

Other than the fact that you could hit some one many times from an extremely close range without knowing...I don't know.

Irony
A statement that, when taken in context, may actually mean the opposite of what is written literally; the use of words expressing something other than their literal intention [...]
Source: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/irony

#15 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:03 AM

lulz cesh. good spot. took me abit to find the knowing part of the irony...
for those who like me read the sentance 20 times before I gave up

the ironic part about the statement is that how could you know if you hit someone. if your not looking.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users