• You cannot reply to this topic

Cheap Vest Alternative 15 bucks

#1 User is offline   Dom 

• Aggressive Sniper - Triple Militia
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Cinder Crush

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hello everybody, this is my first post so I wanted to post something I found useful. And like most everyone in today's economy I like to save as much money on little things as I can (so I can blow it on cool stuff =P) I've considered buying a vest for a few weeks, but really just didnt see myself dishing out the cash for something I dont really "need" to play with. I'm also kind of a big guy (6'2, 215lbs.) so I like to keep my gear setup nice and light. I also live in california so it can be pretty warm on some days, and having a heavy vest on is just going to make me even more uncomfortable. So down to the brass tax, this is what I did:

Hit up the local army surplus store, and if you dont have a local army surplus store, I dont know, maybe try ebay? Find yourself a used military Camel Back pack. I bought one a few months ago and just had it sitting around, because when I got home I realized the rubber bladder inside the military camel backs are not removeable, as they are sewn into lid area. I already have another camel back so I didnt want to bother with santizing it, kind of grossed me out. Using the hidden zipper access panel on the right side of the bag, cut out the water bladder as best you can. Then take your scissors and cut the screw on cap off, as it is also attached with a little plastic ring and tab setup. You can now put your Air tank inside of the back, and run the remote line up through the lid hole. Depending on the size of your tank you may want to find some thick foam, or even styrofoam and insert this into the bottom of the bag, this will make it so your on off screw of your remote line actually sticks out of the top of the bag. You will also want to make sure the pack has the chest strap as it will help keep the bag secure while running. All in all the bag is only a little wider then the average tank, and maybe about twice the length. Very durable, and lightweight.

Another neat feature is that these bags were originally designed to be clipped to larger ruck sacks, so there are very strong rings sewn all around the back where you can clip additional gear. I ran a nylon line with a caribeaner (spelling) off of one of the shoulder rings so I can snap it onto the stock of my gun while standing around not playing etc. This eliminates the need for a sling. I also clipped a pod pouch, and a radio pouch to other parts of the bag. So there you have it, a lightweight, cheap, and highly effective alternative to what I consider an expensive, but very useful accessory to this lovely hobby of ours. Not counting the nylon line, and caribeaner which I had laying around the house, I set this up for 15 bucks. Once I get a little camo paint on mine this weekend, I'll post a picture. Good luck and I hope this helps those of you out there trying to save a little cash, and keep your gear as minimal as possible.

This post has been edited by Dom: 23 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

#2 User is offline   Dom 

• Aggressive Sniper - Triple Militia
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Cinder Crush

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:16 PM

Just noticed the other day that two pods will fit perfectly in the back panel of the pack. im 6'2 with an appropriate wing span so I can pull the pods out from behind my head pretty easily, although it is hard to put them back in. I wear camo pants with cargo pockets so I just started pulling my pods from my back and then putting the empty in my cargo pocket during play, its a pretty smooth motion. Still havent painted it yet though, been raining like crazy here in cali.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users