• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multicam Knock-Offs at RAP4.com Real Action Paintball All-Terrain BDUs

#1 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:C

Post icon  Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:09 PM

I have quickly become a big fan of Crye Multicam. Its distinctive and complex multienvironment camouflage pattern printed on soft but durable 50-50 nylon-cotton fabrics (either rip-stop or the more common twill) make for a hard-to-beat combination in the world of tactical apparel for woods paintball. One of the only drawbacks to Crye Precision's Multicam products is their considerable expense. Their in-house garments are particularly pricey, and any third-party manufacturer who uses Crye's patented pattern -- including Special Ops, who buys a range of Crye fabrics to make its own unique line of soft goods -- pays heavy licensing fees that inevitably get passed on to the consumer.

Posted Image

Real Action Paintball recently began offering unlicensed imported "All-Terrain BDUs," which are faithful copies -- AKA "knock-offs" -- of the Crye Multicam pattern in a conventional heavyweight 65-35 poly-cotton twill BDU fabric. While a set of Crye's own ny-co R6 Field BDUs nearly tops $200, the RAP products have been introduced at just $90 a set. They undercut even the cheapest online vendors of licensed Crye items in a typical BDU cut. (AFMO is currently pre-ordering sets of Multicam-patterned BDUs at $110 a set, and they also sell sets of Tru-Spec's ACU-pattern Tactical Response Uniforms in real-deal Multicam ny-co rip-stop for $140 -- the same price as Special Ops' custom-made Multicam Marauder 2s in Crye's official fabric.) Price and availability being strong lures for such popular items, I got my hands on a set of the RAP BDUs, curious to see if the knock-offs really measure up to the real thing.

Posted Image

The RAP All-Terrain set looks surprisingly good. They are well stitched and evenly constructed for imported goods, a cut above what one might typically expect for non-GI apparel. The cloth is indeed identical to that of lower-line Propper or Tru-Spec civilian copy BDUs. The design is patterned very closely after the current-issue Army ACU, with virtually all the features of that uniform, from bi-swing shoulders on the blouse down to tactical pockets on the calves of the pants. The RAP shirt and trousers accept soft elbow and knee pads, and the pant waist even gathers with an Army-style drawstring -- one of my least-favorite "features" of the ACU -- instead of the traditional side waist adjuster tabs. The RAPs are generously cut, following Crye Precision's lead in being slightly longer in the shirt with less contour at the waist than the Army ACU. (The size Large RAP blouse is somewhere between a mil-spec Large Regular and Large Long in sleeve length, for example.) The pants cargo pockets use an ACU slant style with a drawstring and cord-lock, unlike the Crye pants, which are square and traditionally bellowed. Up top, the RAPs are also ACU-style, with tabbed arm pockets and small turned-in chest pockets lifted straight from the Army ACU. The RAP BDUs' pockets are a hair smaller than ACU chest pockets, and quite unlike the fancy double-layer chest pockets of the Crye R6 Field Shirt. They use an all-button front closure -- no zipper or Velcro. The only real noticeable shortcoming on the RAPs is the haphazard dimensions and placement of the fold-over tab at the collar, which is really big; fortunately, the RAP shirt closes nicely Mandarin-style and also lays flat when you want it to.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Side by side, you can see that the printing of the RAP fabric is inferior to the Crye fabric. The pattern, while quite close to the original on cursory inspection, is higher in contrast and loses some of the real Multicam pattern's subtlety -- which is what makes it so effective in blending into any environment. The RAP knock-off pattern will still hide you very well across a number of typical paintball terrain types, but it's just not quite as nice as the real thing -- especially if you are a nitpicker! (Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that over time and laundry cycles, the RAP print will not resist fading as well as true Multicam fabric.)

Posted Image

When you put the RAP All-Terrain BDUs on, they feel very familiar. Other than the drawstring waist, the material and cut are very typical of the copy BDUs one commonly encounters, heavier feeling than the advanced battle dress utilities like the ACU and MCCUU, and lacking the light weight and soft hand of Crye's wonderful 6.5-ounce ny-co twill.

Still, for half the price, the RAP copy quality and construction are very good, and if you want to get most of the advantages of Crye Multicam and next-generation tactical wear on a budget, they are definitely worth considering -- as long as you can live without "status symbol" paintball gear. Personally, I prefer real-deal Multicam fabric, and I think custom Special Ops Multicam Marauders are worth the wait and the extra expense, but if your practical constraints permit you from going that route, the RAP All-Terrain BDUs represent good value and are a very reasonable alternative.
Sigs aren't actually allowed on the Special Ops Forum, so I don't have one.

#2 User is offline   Monoxide 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Monoxide

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:27 PM

Niice, you can tell that the RAP version is a tad darker. If I ever get the multi-cam I'll just go with the Propper Battle Rip BDU's once they're released.

#3 User is offline   Gobo Fongo 

• Master of Awesome
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gobo Fongo

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:56 PM

You made me feel slightly better about my AFMO real deal multicam order, but I'm gonna miss the nifty pockets. :blink:

"On the other hand, I WILL buy a Viking, and every time I shoot it I will be symbolically sticking it to Smart Parts."
Me Feedback ALL MY STUFF FOR SALE Multicam Headwrap Sale

#4 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:01 AM

Look at C stockpiling the multicam like it's going out of style! What, you have a set for every day of the week ;). I know, it's nice to have "options", I'm just messin' w/ you. Seriously, I do appreciate you being a guinea pig & trying all this stuff out, it makes my job of deciding a little easier. Great review as usual, thanks again.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#5 User is offline   RPGDAWG 

• Ride Or Die Son
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:49 AM

Myself I'm waiting on Propper to release their ACU cut versions of Multicam in a few Months.

They'll be less than 80 bucks a set and Military issue quality.

#6 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2007 - 04:28 AM

I'm still going with Crye, you can buy it for $10 dollars more.
Wretched is the sound of my voice.

IN MY DROPSHIP ZIGZAGS STAY LIT

#7 User is offline   arawn 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:48 AM

Lil'C,

Thanks for the review!
:ghillie:

Nice, concise writing.

B.

#8 User is offline   fenrisx 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:58 AM

View PostVeritech Squad, on Mar 9 2007, 06:28 AM, said:

I'm still going with Crye, you can buy it for $10 dollars more.

10$ more? :| Just a jacket alone from Crye costs more than that set!

If you're referring to the BDU's on AMFO's site that are '$99'. Those I believe are more or less the same as the RAP4's. AMFO wouldn't confirm with me that they were licensed Crye. Also there's no material listed on CryePrecisions website that is 65%poly/35%cotton.

However, they did say that the TRU's were made by Tru-Spec using licensed Crye materials. Those are $40 than the Rap4's though... even then that's not bad considering they're 'authentic' Crye material.

This post has been edited by fenrisx: 09 March 2007 - 11:21 AM

#9 User is offline   vatican 

• Respect, Earned never given!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:vatican

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:51 PM

if you buy from amfo right now you will get crye material. if you wait you will get proper.
sic vis pacem para bellum

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
-George Orwell
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
-George Orwell

#10 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

View Postvatican, on Mar 9 2007, 12:51 PM, said:

if you buy from amfo right now you will get crye material. if you wait you will get proper.

Currently, AFMO can't fill any orders on regular Multicam BDUs...

#11 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:40 PM

UPDATE:

My friend tried the RAP4 pants out in the woods today. They held up well, and they were reported as being comfortable. The only issue is that one blousing tape failed. Otherwise, they seemed to be pretty awesome in the field -- especially at less than half the price of Crye's good.

After a thorough washing, there was a little fading of the camo print on the poly-cotton twill, and in places, there was very light streaking -- not anything you'd notice if you weren't scrutinizing the cloth from inches away in bright light, but it was present. The slight fading was quite consistent with what obe expects from commercial copy BDUs on cotton-blend fabric -- my subdued urban digitals from Tru-Spec faded WAY more than these RAP4s -- and in truth it actually helped the camouflage, which was a little too contrasting before washing but came out of the laundry noticeably closer to the tones of real-deal Crye ny-co fabric. Sure, it will probably continue to fade in incremental amounts over time, but not enough to make any significant difference. The fabric softened up some, but it will take more wear and washes to get it fully broken in.

Still, at $90 a set, the RAP4s definitely rate "pretty good" if the Cryes, custom SO Marauders, TRUs, SKDs, or other real-deal ny-co Multicam products are out of reach.

This post has been edited by Lil' C: 12 March 2007 - 10:24 AM

#12 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:50 AM

View Postfenrisx, on Mar 9 2007, 10:58 AM, said:

...they did say that the TRU's were made by Tru-Spec using licensed Crye materials. Those are $40 than the Rap4's though... even then that's not bad considering they're 'authentic' Crye material.

Multicam TRU review posted here... http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=104477

Crye Combat Shirt review posted here... http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=104938

This post has been edited by Lil' C: 26 March 2007 - 07:59 AM

#13 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

UPDATE: Tru-Spec's traditional-cut BDUs in Crye Multicam reviewed here:

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=109502

#14 User is offline   schnebit13 

• Schmuck
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:schnebit13

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:09 PM

I've had my set of RAP 4 All Terrains out twice. I must say that I'm not particularly satisfied with the way the fabric is wearing. I also have a Propper BDU cap made with Crye fabric as a comparison. So, the issue I am having is with the fabric getting a bit fuzzy. The 65/35 (poly/cotton) fabric just isn't holding up as well as the genuine Crye fabric. Now since you can find Propper Multicam sets for about $80-$90 made with genuine Crye fabric I'd say go with that.

#15 User is offline   shartley 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:03 AM

First of all, companies that buy Crye fabric for their products do not have to pay a licensing fee or pay any royalties to use the fabric. That statement could not be more wrong or explain the cost of Multicam items on the market. I know this for a fact since I too make genuine Multicam items and get business discounts from Crye.

Second, are you sure that Rap4 does not use Crye's fabric but just calls their items by a different name? Looking at the pictures posted I see no distinction that would make me believe they are different fabrics. Crye makes MANY weights in the Multicam pattern and each will wear differently than the others. And being that I purchase the fabric directly I can tell you that depending on where the fabric is cut form the bolt it can often times be lighter or darker than something cut from another section of the bolt. This is because the camo design changes from section to section.

The fact that one fabric fades faster or wears differently is not in itself an indicator that the fabric is genuine or not. Those who have served in the Military know that depending on the fabric weight (summer VS winter) the camo will indeed fade much differently and to get a proper match in fading you often have to keep matching up the tops and bottoms in pairs. And if you mix the pairs wrong you will see a huge difference between the tops and bottoms (even in the same weight fabric).

So simply putting one Milticam product up against another is not always the best test to determine if it is genuine or not. Because like I pointed out, fading alone is not a reliable test given so many variables in the situation.

But I too wear a knockoff of the Multicam fabric. I only got it because I simply could not get the genuine thing when I needed it. My size was always sold out or they failed to actually make it... who knows. I am glad other companies are getting the fabric now and making their own uniforms with it though... and I will be getting a genuine Multicam uniform before next season.

Now with that said, Crye has been aggressively protecting their rights to Multicam and clear copies of it. I support this whole heartedly.. even though I too own knock offs. Since there are several sources for genuine Multicam uniforms now there is no need to buy illegal copies. And if Rap4 is making illegal copies I hope they get shut down soon. This may sound harsh, but like I said, there are legal items out there now that are easy to get. And the cost for genuine Multicam directly from Crye is not too expensive for any business to do it right... like I said, even I buy genuine Multicam for my products and I am about as small of a business as you can get without it being a "hobby" business done in someone's spare time.

I look forward to hearing the responses.....

This post has been edited by shartley: 17 September 2007 - 05:17 AM

“It is easier to blow out a match than it is to control a forest fire.” - Me
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
IPB Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users