"Snipers" read it if u have an opion on snipers Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#31 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• :)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:|GEARHEAD|

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:51 AM

lol thx protocoach.

on subject of are snipers overrated? well wannabe snipers are, the ones who go out there and try to play sniper like one in the real field. goodluck, cuz i doubt that works well if at all. but the guys who live and breathe snap shot accuracy like some of the expert SC guys (i'm not there yet, close but not there) do they are not overrated. they have spent plenty of time practicing, and so in all reality to get those one shot kills they shoot a bunch in their back yard. just hope u dont run into a good one on the field, cuz u better watch out.
"I dont like brass so I guess I am good to go." -Jiu jitsu fighter. "Communist." -Tu Padre
Pump Player #113 My Feedback +27/-0

#32 User is offline   Reb 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:No brigade affiliation

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:01 AM

I'm a big fan of 'live and let live' most of the time.

But let me put it this way.

If a guy comes onto the field wearing a set of cardboard wings, runs at top speed through the playing field screaming "WOOOOOOOOSHHHHHH" at the top of his lungs.......does that make him a fighter jet?

Okay, so thats an extreme example....

but everything I've seen on the field in 10 years when talking about snipers is the same deal.
Ghillie, crawling through the underbrush calling themselves snipers.

The 'overrated' part in my head, comes from having players deem themselves snipers and attach themselves to a team, then spend the whole game trying to eliminate a team captain, or line themselves up for an OSOK just to live up to the name that they've given to themselves, instead of trying to be as effective a team member as they can.

In terms of 'covered' vs. 'concealed' a good defensive position should be both, and wether I'm 'sniping' or playing paintball, I should be looking for a position that affords me the best cover possible in case fire is returned, and the best concealment as possible to prevent my being spotted, this is always the case when I'm looking for a spot to set up an ambush or make an unseen attack.

Again, utilizing my cover to its maximum advantage doesn't make a player a sniper.

....a more detailed response later....its breakfast time, but I must say, I'm having a lot of fun here.

thanks boys. :rolleyes:
I have never been shot by a player in a ghillie suit.

#33 User is offline   Finchy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Finchy

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:23 PM

I think Snipers are excellent because In my own personal Situations and experiences, Ive seen 1 sniper hold of over 20+ people by himself, and take out over half of them, while the whole team hit one side and won the game. Without that sniper It woulda been a very hard game

#34 User is offline   Bruid 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Grendel

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:59 PM

I would have to say they exist, but most players don't fully understand them. One of my favorite days of paintball was when a bunch of tourney guys were at the field and referring to me as "the sniper". Not because I was playing the position, but simply because I have a scope on my marker. That's what I think throws most players off. They see someone who has a scope, ghillie, or a specific marker and they think the person is a sniper. By no means does just using the gear make you a sniper, you have to play like one as well. That means trying to sneak around as quietly as possible, waiting for long periods of time to get a good shot, moving at an extremely slow pace to get a good shot, and having the patience to wait for the shot as well as the restraint to limit your fire to conceal your position.

Keep in mind I am not saying that snipers are common, because I honestly don't believe they are. I think there are a lot of people that try to be snipers but are not playing the position quite right to be one.

Just to let you know, I'm a sabre that primarily bounces between medium rifleman and sharp shooter, I aim for that one shot one kill but I do not play like a sniper otherwise. :)

#35 User is offline   Reb 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:No brigade affiliation

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:07 AM

View PostFinchy, on Feb 18 2007, 01:23 PM, said:

I think Snipers are excellent because In my own personal Situations and experiences, Ive seen 1 sniper hold of over 20+ people by himself, and take out over half of them, while the whole team hit one side and won the game. Without that sniper It woulda been a very hard game

This would be an interesting case. I don't believe it couldn't/didn't happen, but unless that entire team was of brand new players varying in ages 3-5 and the 'sniper' was armed with a rifle, its highly improbable. To fragment a team to outflank and pin a sniper down with a team of 3 is simple enough, hell it can be done with 2 players.....but to have 20+ guys pinned by yourself? I don't believe it.

I watched 2 guys with electro markers pin down a section of my team one day, a group of about 5 of us. My brother decided that he didn't like being pinned there and broke from us, flanked the two players and eliminated them while their fire was concentrated on us.

(Hornets Nest paintball, 2002)

The plausibility of this situation, unless they were all holed up in a truck or a room with one entrance is simewhat limited, even then, a mass exfiltration from the area could result in MAYBE two or three eliminations from the bottled up team, not half of them.

Paintball is a tricky topic when talking about tactics. Many of us try to work real world-tried and true methods of attack and defense into our games. We work for cover and concealment, we'll work for defensive movement as well as aggressive attacks. Hell, sometimes we'll even actively utilize ordinance to our advantage if the scenario is a big enough one.

The problem is, that since the game is played on small unit scale for the most part, the tacts that any individual uses may be reminiscant of the real world 'sniper'

The paintball 'sniper' has convinced himself that he is a master of these tactics that everyone uses. Without ballistics advantages, the tactics of the paintball sniper aren't any different than the tactics of every woodsballer out there who is worth his salt.

Do we use these tactics all the time? No, because sometimes it isn't practical to belly crawl. "Snipers" should realize that. If they did, and adjusted their play style to fit the needs of the game instead of the demands set for them by television and Special Ops, they would become versatile and effective players instead of utilizing a fixed set of tactics which are not effective all the time.
I have never been shot by a player in a ghillie suit.

#36 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

well, give a thought about this reb. if the sniper was concealed and didnt fire enough for people to kno where they are, they can easily take out many players. u can determine the general area by ear, but it would be hard if the sniper used air not co2 because there would be no cloud from firing, just sound. well anywho, i dont think any good sniper actually follows spec ops guidelines.... anyway good objection put up reb!
"I dont like brass so I guess I am good to go." -Jiu jitsu fighter. "Communist." -Tu Padre

#37 User is offline   Haunted Hunter 

• Vanguard
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Haunted Hunter

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:30 PM

Depending on how things go, the sniper is either really effective, or wastes their time. It probably evens out over a gaming day, So, overrated? Probably?

#38 User is offline   SilentMarksman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SilentMarksman

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

It's taken about 7 years of paintball experience for me to figure out, theres no such thing as paintball snipers. Ghille is fabulously effective, and sneaking and ambushing are amoung the coolest and most effective tactics in paintball, but thats doens't mean if you do this, you are a sniper.

The "snipers" main claim to fame, is the ambush. They throw on a ghille suit, add some natural vegitation, and hunker down until some hapless player walks by their hide and gets shot. Wait a minute, last time I checked, I can do that too. I don't need ghille either, or even camo for that matter. Ambushing is a major part of woodsball, and almost everyone does it, so does that make EVERYONE who ambushes people a "sniper"? No.

I've ambushed people with black and grey speedball gear. I have a blue redz bottle cover, that didn't matter. In my 7 years of paintballing, I have NEVER been "sniped". Thats becasue I can't be sniped, becasue theres no such thing as a sniper. I've been ambushed before, but not by the lone wolf decked in ghille and his uber 98c sniper ;)

I'm done. (Puts uber interwebs flame suit on)

This post has been edited by SilentMarksman: 19 February 2007 - 06:41 PM

:)

#39 User is offline   Apathy 

• Only my twisted perception keeps me company.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Apathy

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:42 PM

After reading this thread, wouldn't it be more accurate to dub thee Ambusher rather than Sniper?

And it looks SilentMarksman beat me to this one, but the point still remains.

This post has been edited by Apathy: 19 February 2007 - 06:43 PM

"A mind without purpose will wander in dark places"
"Man - a creature made at the end of the week's work when God was tired." -Mark Twain-
"Celibacy is the worst form of self-abuse."-Peter De Vries- The only field at which I excel and hold no equal.

#40 User is offline   SilentMarksman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SilentMarksman

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

View PostApathy, on Feb 19 2007, 06:42 PM, said:

After reading this thread, wouldn't it be more accurate to dub thee Ambusher rather than Sniper?

And it looks SilentMarksman beat me to this one, but the point still remains.

I can work with "ambusher". Its a more accurate term than "sniper", since thats what they basicly do.
:)

#41 User is offline   Guy In Digi Camo 

• The Forum Authority On Alaska- pm me if you have any ?'s
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Guy In Digi Camo

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:11 PM

Really arter some dileberation with a few friends we can agree there is no such thing as a sniper in paitnball.

However, other terms such as "Ambusher, Ghost Flanker, Sneaky Guy in Ghulle. can be titles that i can live with and more accuratly describe the position.

But i like being called sniper bythe people at my feild so ill stick with the title.

i really think that, as has been mentioned be4, that u cant really compare ballisitically, any thing in paintball. however tactics wise i tend to think that paintball is more compared to SWAT, or rapid assult teams, rather that the actual military tactics.
Sincethe game is conducted in a a similar rapid fashion snipers really seem to be a breed that is hmm wast the word ,obselete in paintball. u can use a sniper really only to loosen enmy lines and have them distracted fromt the main force of units.

all i got 4 now ill have more latr

Remember its all about having fun- Guy In Digi Camo
Going to be in Alaska check out my up to date post where you can get your questions answeredAlaska

#42 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:53 PM

^^^i think that about sums it up.

can anyone else agree?

#43 User is offline   Sniper07 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:[SS]Sniper07

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:57 PM

Long live the sniper! :angry:
IPB Image

#44 User is offline   M.I.C. 

• #1sniper
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:M.I.C.

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

ok wait, now if your going off of the whole "paintball guns cant shoot as far as real guns " distance argument, then please stop, distance can still be calculated as a signifigant factor for a sniper....let me elaborate, most paintball engagements take place from lets say...10-30 yards right? well (not 1:1 scale) but scale it down and say a PAINTBALL sniper shoots at distances from 30-50 yards this plus other sniper tactics would then make him a sniper...as far as the distance issue goes

- :angry: thesilentkilla
IPB Image
IPB Image
Furtim, Patientia, Veneratio
NO SUCH THING AS A PAINTBALL SNIPER? WHOVEVER TOLD YOU THAT HASN'T ENTERED MY SIGHTS YET...

#45 User is offline   TREE FITTY 

• Time to get to business...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TIPPMANN6791

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:05 PM

A second thought. Defining sniper is really hard to do. There's the guy with the longshot, then there's the ghillie clad warrior up close, then there's both. It's just a different tactic, and if everyone did it, the game would get nowhere. People take advantage of that fact every now and then.

Such a heated debate about it too. Sniping is an art. Commanding is an art. Flanking is an art. Saying you hate one is the same as saying you hate the other. I hate you winning=I hate you sniping. The only reason why the sniper is winning is because you let them. Can't open your eyes, and you can't keep the fact, that they could be anywhere, in your head.

did I die for a second there?...

Share this topic:

• (20 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users