Special Ops Paintball: How important was high school for you? - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How important was high school for you? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:22 PM

I have a question for anyone who is well past college and well into their career-pursuing lives.. how important was high school to you? Was it an important time of your life, something you will always remember and miss, or was it just another obstacle to get over to get through school and enter college and get out in the real world? Did you like high school? Was it an important time of your life where a lot of good things happened to you?

I ask this because lately, I've realised that I feel like I don't really have a direction in life right now, and that it seems like I'm just trying to get through high school and do as well as I can and get on with my life. I hate where I live right now, and I feel like it has nothing to offer me. I'm not saying I hate my life; I have a great family, a few good friends, and I'm actually doing very well academically (4.0 GPA), but I can't decide where I'm going, and this place has no direction for me at all.

So would you say it's a bad thing to not even bother to get involved with the school or the community at all, and instead just try to get it over with and leave? It's not like I don't have options; I can find a number of things to get involved in. I just don't see the purpose of it. After all, there's no doubt in my mind that I'm going out of state for college. I'm just having trouble finding a direction in life, getting my priorities together, and finding something I'm good at.

#2 User is offline   Bone37 

• The Chicago 37th S.P.S. Heavy Gunner
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bone37

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

Get through HS and learn as much as you can... then KEEP LEARNING! Weather its a college thing or a job it doesn't matter.
Just make sure you have something to fall back on so that if one job/carrier falls apart you have something else to go to Quickly. I'm a carpenter, drywaller, truck driver, lighting tech, rigger the list goes on. Do you want a family or not, that is also a factor.
Posted Image

37sps.com

#3 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

Yeah - that's about right for your age.

I was horrible in school - At 17 I took a year off and travelled across Canada working here and there. Then came back to finish last year and graduate. I missed alot of classes and just didn't try.

Now looking back I know it's important to advance to the next level of schooling and to deveolpe your ability to learn, show commitment and follow tasks which every boss wants. You have shown that but maybe it wasn't enough of a challenge for you (or excitement.) Seems that you need something to arouse you. A sport or a hobby that is short in intervals so you can see accomplishments periodically.

#4 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Join the Army! If there's one thing they'll give you, it's a direction... give 'em credit for that....
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#5 User is offline   Lynnch 

• Haha, how ironic
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lynnch

I'm a year and a half into college, and I feel the same way...
Graduate.
Get out of your home town for sure (EVERYONE needs this perspective)
...After that... I'm not too sure of yet.
Do stuff, the more you expose yourself to, the more you learn, and the bigger your world is. And it ain't gonna happen overnight. Hell, I know tons of people who changed their majors multiple times.

I figure I (we) will figure it out eventually.

#6 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:37 PM

View PostBone37, on Feb 12 2008, 11:31 PM, said:

Get through HS and learn as much as you can... then KEEP LEARNING! Weather its a college thing or a job it doesn't matter.
Just make sure you have something to fall back on so that if one job/carrier falls apart you have something else to go to Quickly. I'm a carpenter, drywaller, truck driver, lighting tech, rigger the list goes on. Do you want a family or not, that is also a factor.

So you're saying that I should find a career genre and commit to it, and keep stufying the area that interests me throughout my education?

That seems like a good start whebn it comes to finding a goal... but that's what I'm having trouble with: finding what I want to do.

View Postslinkyaroo, on Feb 12 2008, 11:33 PM, said:

Yeah - that's about right for your age.

I was horrible in school - At 17 I took a year off and travelled across Canada working here and there. Then came back to finish last year and graduate. I missed alot of classes and just didn't try.

Now looking back I know it's important to advance to the next level of schooling and to deveolpe your ability to learn, show commitment and follow tasks which every boss wants. You have shown that but maybe it wasn't enough of a challenge for you (or excitement.) Seems that you need something to arouse you. A sport or a hobby that is short in intervals so you can see accomplishments periodically.

Good point. I play guitar, and it's something that commit to, something that I see myself progress with, something that's part of my life.

That's how I want my life to be. That's the kind of career I want. Something that completes me, not something to put bread on the table.

#7 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

View PostPhilipp122, on Feb 12 2008, 11:22 PM, said:

I ask this because lately, I've realised that I feel like I don't really have a direction in life right now

Let me put this in perspective for you, one that 99% of all adults will not admit to... Very few people feel like they have any direction at all and it has nothing to do with you being young.

Hell, I'm 37 in 26 days and I feel like I have no direction. There are things I'd love to do but am clueless on how to get there. Several of the things I'd like to do don't have classes locally and I can't afford to go across the country to learn it.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#8 User is offline   Bone37 

• The Chicago 37th S.P.S. Heavy Gunner
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bone37

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:01 PM

Yes... sort of, what do you really like to do, I mean really! Not Paintball, Not Guitar unless you're willing to make it your life so that you become the best. What are your natural talents?

Dont rush finding out what you want to do, right now you need to try doing lots of different stuff and see if any of it is something you would essentially want to do every day.
Posted Image

37sps.com

#9 User is offline   Octavious 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:15 AM

This was how important high school was.......................................Thats right, absolutely nothing. Infact, it was a waste of time. Did it help me at all in college? Nope
did it prepare me for college? Nope.

in short, high school really doesnt help you for college at all and really doesn't do anything for you. That is if you plan on attending college, expect high school to have done nothing but its neccessary to get into college tho sadly.

As for a direction? It'll come to you.

Just go to college and start off taking general requirements that are neccessary for all degrees. In there you're bound to find something you like, and if still not, explore into other classes and see where it goes from there. It'll come to you, no worries.

-Oct

#10 Guest_TM SNPR_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:02 AM

the only good that came out of high school were the grades that allowed me to get into a good college.....other than that it was pretty useless........

#11 User is offline   AaronC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:26 AM

When I was in high school I never had a clue what I wanted to do I just picked random classes that sounded like fun or at least less boring and right up until graduation I still had no clue. The guidance counselor kept pressuring me to figure out what I wanted to do and I had more than one teacher tell me that unless I picked a career I would be serving burgers for the rest of my life. They were all full of crap. I have a great job and a great life I make way more than a burger flipper my bills are always paid with a lot to spare for the frivolous junk that makes life worth living for. So being lost in high school has no bearing on your future you can change direction whenever you want in college I switched courses four times before finding one I liked. So don't let anybody tell you there is a cutoff date for where you want to be because there isn't and if somebody had told me that when I was in school it would have made my life a lot less stressful.

As for the social stuff I'm 26 now and not a day goes by where I wish I had gone to more parties or joined more school clubs the idea that high school is supposed to be the best years of your life is a freakin joke. Anybody that considers their life to have peaked at 17 should put a gun to their head and end it now because that is just too sad a life to keep living.

#12 User is offline   MotoSL 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hey Phil? I'm 34 and have just completed a major career change... I'm a college graduate and I work in Corporate America, now. You know want I have determined?

My career path:

Retire as soon as I can because all work sucks.

My advice to you?

Live life as you see fit and be happy. Make your decisions based on the possibility of regret... "would I regret doing (or not doing) this?"
I'd say one of the saddest things in life is dealing with regret.

And of course: Don't take life too seriously... you'll never make it out alive.

#13 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:47 PM

That's a lot of reassuring advice. Puzuma, Bone, Octavious, and Vander, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who was looking for something to go for.

TM SNPR and Aaron, it's good to hear that you guys have a successful life just following your natural talents. One of the things that I was worried about is choosing a major in college and go through with it, only to find out it's not what I wanted at all.

My natural talnets are with math, mechanics, and science. These 3 are what interest me the most and I'm good at all of them.

Anything that has to do with interacting with people, preferably engineering or business management, is where I want my life headed. I realized that today in Auto Tech. I realized I hate antyhing that has to do with something I don't find important. I could be a scientist, but not a historian. I could be an engineer, but not an assembly line worker.

On the other hand, I also talked with someone today who knew some people in the field of both forensic science and marine biology. Now that sounds like fun :).

#14 User is offline   ncbbh88 

• Brigadier General SOL East Coast Division
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Brokenarrow

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:54 PM

Highschool is not meant to give you direction. Highschool gives you the foundation for college in which you can choose your direction. but as said before, take ANY opertunity to learn. It will pay off in the long run.

NC

#15 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C9H13NO3

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

Highschool was invaluable. I didn't really know quite what I wanted to do. I had a few things in mind. I joined the military. And having a lot of peers who are near illiterate, and can't figure things out, I am very glad I paid attention in school. Knowledge is power.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users