• You cannot reply to this topic

Im looking to get an ion any advice?

#1 User is offline   johnny assault 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:johnny assault

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:29 PM

I'v been Looking at ion's and desided that I really really want to make it my next investment. I was just wondering if theirs any site that sells it with the diff body kits already on it. Like a good sized selection of them. Anyone know of any sites like this? Any help would be great, thank you.
"Whats up with it vanilla face"

IPB Image

#2 User is offline   billybob 

• The John Deere of paintball. Nothing mows as nice.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Leavenworth County Kansas, everyone's a prisoner here
  • Brigade Name:billybob

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

It all depends on what type of body you want. If you're just looking for the colored SP bodies most sites like paintballgear.com will have them installed for about $20-30 more than a base Ion. If you're wanting some other kind of body you'd just have to look around. Bodies aren't hard to put on. If you know how to clean an Ion you should be able to put on a body.
"Life sucks" ~LT
"What the Hell? Is Abercrombie making people now!!!?"~ Vash

#3 User is offline   johnny assault 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:49 PM

I'm not worried about it being hard, I would rather just find one that has a good look to it rather then buy it stock and then find a seprate body kit. Thanks for your help!

IPB Image

#4 User is offline   Ambulance 

• the monster under your bed
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Duct Tape

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:25 PM

u should buy a stock one and a extra body that u want just in case something goes wrong w/ a body that u have a back up so u can still play... for that actionvillage.com is pretty good. also Specops is great deal in the long run if u want a full body kit w/ stock and everything

#5 User is offline   MillardFlemming 

• Odi et Amo.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MILLARD FLEMMING

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

before the body kit though, buy a q-lock. you will need it.
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free -John 8:32
Smart Parts Special Forces Member

I take roughly 100 shots per kill, and I like it.

#6 User is offline   johnny assault 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

before the body kit though, buy a q-lock. you will need it.

Is that an aftermarket feedneck? if not what is it. sorry about all the questions, it's just that i'v always had Tippmanns, and spyders so i don't know much about smart parts. I really want an ion for tourny play, nothing serious just every now and again. I'm looking in the $300 range, Not including HPA.

IPB Image

#7 User is offline   H3 Proto 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

Yes, it's a feedneck. I'd HIGHLY reccomend one over the stock feedneck.

-Warrior

#8 User is offline   billybob 

• The John Deere of paintball. Nothing mows as nice.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Leavenworth County Kansas, everyone's a prisoner here
  • Brigade Name:billybob

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:42 PM

yes the q lock is a feedneck. I like it much better the others I've seen. It's made by SP in case you're wondering. I really would suggest just buying a stock Ion and finding a body you like somewhere. Like ambulance said, it's a good thing to have a back up body. Say you by a BOB (bolt-out-back) body kit and you lose the back cap, you'd be screwed....unless you had an extra body laying around. There's tons of great Ion bodies out there but as far as I know there's not too many places that sell aftermarket bodies already installed on Ions and the places that do don't have a great selection of bodies that you can get pre-installed. Since you're looking at using the Ion as a tourney gun I'd suggest you get a BOB body kit. It makes cleaning much easier and faster.

Other things you should get for the Ion include a new trigger (I prefer the New Designs blade trigger), a qev, and a new barrel. That would take your total price (gun, body, trigger, qev, barrel, and feedneck) up to around the $400-500 range but it's possible you could find all those parts used or on a deal somewhere.
"Life sucks" ~LT
"What the Hell? Is Abercrombie making people now!!!?"~ Vash

#9 User is offline   johnny assault 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:09 AM

That would take your total price (gun, body, trigger, qev, barrel, and feedneck) up to around the $400-500 range
Thats acctully a good deal! Too bad I just put $300 down for an X7. Witch is not as great as I thought it would be. It's the same exact thing as the 98c i'v been using since 2000, the only diff is the cyclone and the realistic look. I'v been researching and realy want an ion. The cycle pretty fast right? I want somthing fast, light, and small. Compared to my x7 and 98 the ion seems to be just that. I'v really gota go down to the pro shop an hour from my home and test an ion.

Thank you guys for all your help.

IPB Image

#10 User is offline   BigD 

• Prevenge beats revenge.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BigD

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:56 AM

I recently got an Ion. My gun before that was my 98c. So I know what it's like to be hearing all these new terms and stuff. I don't know about the q-lock but I have an NDZ clamping feedneck and it works great. I also got an NDZ Blade trigger. The stock trigger has a metal screw on the end that scratches the paint on the grip of the gun. I also got a Function On/Off ASA. It works very nice, much better than the stock duckbill.

#11 User is offline   neocool00 

• Insanity is a state of mind and I'm the governor.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:NEOCOOL00

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:40 PM

Ion kit that includes the following upgrades: body kit, trigger, feedneck, barrel & asa.

Redz Ion Marker - $349.99 comes in red, white, olive and blue.

Only thing it's missing is a QEV (most are under $20).
My Feedback: Special Ops : Ion Owners : eBay

#12 User is offline   johnny assault 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:25 AM

Ion kit that includes the following upgrades: body kit, trigger, feedneck, barrel & asa.

Redz Ion Marker - $349.99 comes in red, white, olive and blue.

Thats pretty bad DUMPER looking, I think this may be the one! Thank You

IPB Image

#13 User is offline   neocool00 

• Insanity is a state of mind and I'm the governor.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:NEOCOOL00

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:29 AM

If you're not a Redz fan, here are some more to check out Zephyr Paintball. The Maddog Ions at the bottom comes with QEVs, but it looks like they still have the stock barrel on them. The Max'd ones come with a freak barrel and one insert.
My Feedback: Special Ops : Ion Owners : eBay

#14 User is offline   Lancer X 

• Dagger with a Space Gun
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lancer X

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:30 AM

View Postneocool00, on Apr 29 2007, 12:29 PM, said:

If you're not a Redz fan, here are some more to check out Zephyr Paintball. The Maddog Ions at the bottom comes with QEVs, but it looks like they still have the stock barrel on them. The Max'd ones come with a freak barrel and one insert.

I just bought an Ion myself. If you're looking at bodies, definitely get one with a "bolt out back" feature. (I ordered this one from Shocktech last week - haven't received it yet though.) Cleaning and lubing the bolt with any other body is a huge pain with this marker - you have to take it completely apart to do so (same operation required to change the body, FYI).

The preceding advice to get a new feedneck is very good - heed it! I haven't received mine in the mail yet, so I had to play with the stock one again this weekend. My VLocity hopper is currently stuck in the feedneck and I wasn't able to get it out after the game (worried about breaking the hopper's feedneck). The Ion's stock feedneck contains several grooves for O-rings. When you slide the hopper into it, the O-rings grab it tight. *Really* tight. I even took out all but one O-ring this time, and my hopper's still stuck.

If you're going to be spending this kind of money on an Ion and upgrades, I'd also recommend you look at Dangerous Power's Fusion marker. $400 gets you a stock marker that basically needs no upgrades. They are light, really nice looking and shoot like a marker twice the price.

Don't get me wrong - I like my Ion a lot. The Fusion is just a marker that will avoid all the upgrade goofing that you seem to want to avoid. It'll be what you're looking for right out of the box - no upgrades required. The Ion, on the other hand, will allow you to spend a few bucks at a time and upgrade when you have the money. If I were to start over again, I would seriously consider the Fusion.

One of my local shops (Lehigh Valley Paintball) is the biggest dealers in the country for these Fusions, so I've been able to handle one and see it field-stripped, etc. - hence the recommendation.

IMO, the only upgrade that an Ion really *needs* for woodsball is a new feedneck and a barrel kit (for improved accuracy via proper paint-to-barrel matching). Everyone talks about how many balls per second their marker can shoot, but if you learn to shoot straight, you only need a few shots. Paint is expensive, dude. :) Just my two cents.

This post has been edited by Lancer X: 28 May 2007 - 06:32 AM

With great firepower comes great responsibility

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users