• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Three round burst? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

What are the advantages of have ur marker shooting in three round bursts, as opposed to semiautomatic?

Any disadvantages?
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#2 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

I'd say the advantage is making sure one of your shots breaks.

Downside is increased ammo usage... but at the same time, firing only a burst or two at a time and waiting until they hit is a lot better than full auto, ramping, etc.

When I use semi on my ULT Tac One, I often fire in bursts of 3 or so.

EDIT: Though I recall some markers have had issues with burst, and chop more often when using a burst-specific "mode". Better to fire bursts with semi in some cases(?).

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 01 October 2011 - 10:38 AM

#3 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

Three round burst is just a "tacticool" hold over from the military. Because they have a burst selector, so naturally it must be cool... :rolleyes:

The military reason for having a 3 round burst was to prevent soldiers from wasting unnecessary ammunition. This is a hold over from the Vietnam War, when soldiers were essentially doing automatic mag dumps. Rather than take this as the training issue it was, the military thought they'd outsmart the soldiers and implement a burst trigger so you could fire bursts but not mag dump without pulling the trigger multiple times.

It serves no practical value in the game of paintball. I say semi or full, but none of this burst nonsense. (I prefer semi only for paintball, but I can see FA being acceptable if the field decides to OK it)
Member of Team Akkadian

#4 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:42 AM

Just shoot Uncapped Semi (or whatever your field limit is in Semi), and learn to walk your trigger.
I've been pulled from X.Xbps ramping tournaments for shooting Semi and shooting over the cap. Seriously, got pulled in a 15.4bps ramp/uncapped semi tournament for shooting 18bps when I was in a 3 vs. 1. According to the ref that pulled me, and I quote, "You were shooting at least 18bps the last 5 seconds I clocked you". I reloaded my hopper and told the ref to shoot it as fast as he could, and he never got over 14bps. I had that Marq tuned in to the smallest trigger pull I could.

Side note: I played bass in a punk band all through high school. I learned to pick that bass really fast, and a paintball trigger is a lot easier than a bass.

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#5 User is online   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:56 AM

I have only played in 3 burst mode once. Didn't care much for it...sometimes I really only want to shoot 1 or 2.

#6 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:15 AM

thanks for the information guys :tup:
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#7 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:04 AM

I cant say for paintball, but whenever I play 3 round burst on games, I burn through ammo. Its cool to have and all, but I think it a waste personally.

#8 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

Automatic was found to be useless in the military. Rifles often tend to shot upward so burst was created to replace auto. So the advatange of 3 rd burst is better control for the user than auto.

#9 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

Didn't know that, but I do know that back in WW2, there was specific training for shooting automatics( cause the BAR shot such a huge round). It can be controlled, but it takes training.

#10 User is offline   Bone37 

• The Chicago 37th S.P.S. Heavy Gunner
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bone37

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

Gotta say I love 3rnd burst!
As heavy gunner it helps to control the accuracy of your shots and you
still get the suppression fire you want.
Posted Image

37sps.com

#11 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

Its nice and all, but I like a fast trigger finger. It gives me the option to stop suppressing and take a long shot without switching settings.

And on a side note, I have been digging for years and finally found it...the plans to a mechanical 3 round burst shot http://www.ar15.com/...function/burst/ I'm gona try and build one for my A5 one of these days.

#12 User is offline   1-I 

• Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

I like it but only when I have the in game option of not using it.
In a defensive postion covering mutiple angles I like a 3rnd burst option over full auto
In an offensive I prefer semi so I can have the imidate 'take cover' response without havint to worry about a shot that still needs to be fired.
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.

#13 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:19 AM

View Postslinkyaroo, on 02 October 2011 - 10:28 AM, said:

Automatic was found to be useless in the military. Rifles often tend to shot upward so burst was created to replace auto. So the advatange of 3 rd burst is better control for the user than auto.

It's a training issue, not a "useless" hardware problem. They still use a fair amount of fully automatic firearms in the US military and in many militaries around the world. Automatic fire is used mostly in a support/covering fire role, but it is used.

3 round burst has been largely replaced by teaching the idea of staying on semi-automatic unless there's a specific reason not to.

This post has been edited by Thalion: 03 October 2011 - 08:19 AM

Member of Team Akkadian

#14 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

Even on low kick 5.56 they found auto to be ineffective for kills and a waste of ammo. Now try auto with a 7.62 and no bipod. The Falken War had Argentinians using the same rifle as the Brits but with auto. This war was a big break through for weapon reviews. The argentinian autos didn't prove to have an advantage.

Burst was actually developed for when people got ambushed to defend themselves and not use auto. It gave fire power, found to be more accurate and had overall better results than auto for assault rifles.

It never replaced semi it just replaced auto.

#15 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

It just gets to me cause every time I pull the trigger 3 rounds come out. I've caught myself double or trippel tapping the trigger on guys with burst shot on. Either one shot per one trigger pull, or one trigger pull to a metric frigen butt ton of shots.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users