Special Ops Paintball: "New" ion - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"New" ion

#1 User is offline   Spaceman Spiff 

• Spaceman Spiff is my hero. Thanks for the avitar Puzuma.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Minister of Destruction

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:33 AM

I have been playing for a little more than 2 years with a 98C that I have loved upgrading. I did some side jobs last weekend and earned some extra income which I used to buy a black ion that was only used a few times for $160.
So far I am loving it. I have yet to test it on the field and have only used it at home. I am looking forward to taking it out with me next time I go to the field.

#2 User is offline   BigD 

• Prevenge beats revenge.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BigD

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:26 PM

I got one off my friend for $120. It had a new NDZ clamping feedneck. Other than that the trigger magnet was broken, the reg had never been lubed and it has several scratches. But now it's OK.

#3 User is offline   Spaceman Spiff 

• PipPip

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:30 AM

View PostBigD, on May 16 2007, 11:26 PM, said:

I got one off my friend for $120. It had a new NDZ clamping feedneck. Other than that the trigger magnet was broken, the reg had never been lubed and it has several scratches. But now it's OK.

This one is all stock parts and is in excellent condition. It had a little leak but a quick lube job did the trick for that. I am going to try and get a new barrel and better tank for it next week.

#4 User is offline   Matt 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:12 AM

hope you have fun. i had fun with my ion after switching from mech. now i dont really use my ion since i got a pump.

#5 User is offline   Lancer X 

• Dagger with a Space Gun
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lancer X

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:55 AM

New Ion user here too. So far, I'm really liking it. Accurate, quiet, and almost no recoil. Pretty much stock right now w/ a VLocity hopper and on-gun 68/45 HPA.

I'd really like to do two upgrades:
  • Affix a red dot sight
  • Go remote air

The problem is, doing either pretty much means I have to buy a new body kit, stock, and a tac vest - not cheap. As much as I like the Ion, I'm sort of beginning to wish I'd have gotten an A-5 instead. Then I could have just added on a sight and air-thru stock, and wouldn't have had to buy an agitating hopper.

We shall see. The Blackcell body kit and Longbow stock seem nice, but so expensive. I'd be looking at another $300 just to get the tank off the gun and add the sight. With that same $600, I could have done a LOT with a base A-5.

That said, I like the quietness, low recoil, and air efficiency of the Ion. What to do...

I hate shopping regrets. :laugh:
With great firepower comes great responsibility

#6 User is offline   t_boneshacone 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:t-bone

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:23 PM

you would have to get a new body for a sight, but sights are dumb imo, and you wouldnt have to buy a stock and a vest just to go remote air, i have a stock ion that i run remote but i dont have a stock or a vest cause you dont have to have them.
Thats like walking into a room and saying 'Chocolate Cake' and then walking out...nobody knows what you mean.
-Tenacious

I bet my gun-whore (nah- not a gun whore yet- more of a gun-skank. or whatever comes before whore... Catholic Schoolgirl? :P) senses will kick in and then I'll end up with something else...
-thisissparta

#7 User is offline   billybob 

• The John Deere of paintball. Nothing mows as nice.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Leavenworth County Kansas, everyone's a prisoner here
  • Brigade Name:billybob

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:13 PM

Lancer, there's a couple ways (at least) you could do that setup. And by that I mean setting it up for remote.

1. take off the bottomline and put a quick disconnect nipple going into the reg. make sure you get a remote with slide check

2. get a body kit and a stock. I would recommend the Deadly Wind tactical body kit. It just replaces the stock one and it accepts all Tippmann 98 stocks (some have to be slightly sanded where they attach). With this option you should only spend right around $150 . The body kit is $85 and the stocks are normally about $40-60.

http://store.deadlywind.com/product/8c2d8c...34212fd9c9.aspx

there's the site for that body kit. it really does seem like the BEST tactical Ion body.
"Life sucks" ~LT
"What the Hell? Is Abercrombie making people now!!!?"~ Vash

#8 User is offline   Lancer X 

• PipPip

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:36 PM

Tbone & Billybob -

Thanks for the replies. My problem is that I don't want to run remote without a stock. After a lifetime of shooting real firearms, I don't feel comfortable (or more importantly, stable) shooting a longgun without a stock.

Same deal with the sight. Experienced paintballers might be used to sighting down the barrel, but I'm going for that "Sight - Acquire - Fire" method that makes so much sense to me. The verical feedneck just screws that all up.

I had found that Deadlywind DT12, and it's still on my list of options - thanks for the heads-up. It's a little heavier than the Blackcell one, but I kind of like the rail options and wide variety of stocks that it makes available. We'll see.

At this point, I'm going to play using my HPA tank as a stock and give myself some time to acclimate to the electro triccer and sighting down the barrel. This was only my first weekend with my new Ion, so who knows what path I'll take. all said, I do like the marker. Thanks for helping me work it out though.

#9 User is offline   billybob 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:59 PM

q-loader. Sell your evolution and get a q-loader and the Ion mod kit. If you get those, along with the deadly wind body and a red dot sight, you should be able to mount this http://www.opsgear.com/See-Thru-Picatinny-...lpr-mnt-995.htm on the body and your red dot to the rail riser you should have a good rifle-like feel. A lot of people don't like the idea of using a q-loader but if that rifle like feel is what you really want.......
"Life sucks" ~LT

#10 User is offline   Lancer X 

• PipPip

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:31 AM

I have been reading about the QLoaders and I am intrigued. I know QLoader is working on some new projects, so I'm kind of holding off to see what they come up with.

I'm also not sure about where they are mounting the QLoaders. It seems like it would make the marker very barrel-heavy. I had seen a really cool emag mod where someone moved the QLoader to the back of the gun and built a stock around it. That seemed like a really logical placement for the Qloader's magazine.

Anyone reading this that uses a QLoader? I'm curious about how much of a pain they are to load.

Is the Qloader legal on an E-marker in SPPL games though? It supposedly feeds 30bps - I'm guessing it isn't legal.

Anyway - thanks tons for all the great info. I'm going to play a while with the marker as-is and see how that goes.

(Sorry I've hijacked this thread so thoroughly - I'll lay off.)

#11 User is offline   billybob 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:15 PM

I have a qloader, the only reason I DON'T use it is that it isn't feasible with the amount of paint I tend to go through. I could buy more pods but......idk. There's plenty of ways to mount q-loaders as well. You can mount it on the reg, which adds even more to the rifle like feel because it doesn't make it as barrel heavy as you would expect. You can also mount them between the ASA and the grip frame if you have just a small bit of ingenuity. I believe people have even come up with ways to mount them along the side of the gun which would give you a quick and easy look at the pod to see how much paint you have left. The only thing really limiting where you mount it is the length of the hose.

One way to make loading easier is to ditch the loading silo and hook a cheap motorized hopper up to the loading socket. If you ever get one you'll understand why.

As for the SPPL issue I really couldn't tell you.
"Life sucks" ~LT

#12 User is offline   Spaceman Spiff 

• PipPip

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

Dude was this thread hijacked. I don't mind though I really wasn't asking a question as much as "bragging" :D . As for the Q loader and SPPL they only limit the markers actual bps in the tournament not the theoretical bps (or what you can do with it in non-SPPL games).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users