• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ticks Watch out for them...

#16 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:28 AM

Off: Deep Woods FTW!!!

Limes disease is spreading like wildfire (No it's not contagious, it's spreading from the ticks to us) in northwestern Wisconsin. I saw a guy with a "bullseye" that covered his whole quad! It was basketball size.

#17 User is offline   Aussie_bloke 

• Team Section 8
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Aussie_bloke

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:04 AM

thats why i wear skins under my playing gear, ticks and leeches cant get through the material, i wear the long top and bottom and tuck them both into each other, the only real concern is then the hands, neck and ankles, i wore them at d day and didnt get a single tick bite, ive also worn them at a field here in australia that has a real bad leech problem, where i wore the skins, no leech bites, they were on my but couldnt get through the material and the salt from my sweat made them shrink up
dont make people a priority, who are only making you an option

#18 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:09 AM

View PostAussie_bloke, on Jul 13 2008, 02:04 AM, said:

thats why i wear skins under my playing gear, ticks and leeches cant get through the material, i wear the long top and bottom and tuck them both into each other, the only real concern is then the hands, neck and ankles, i wore them at d day and didnt get a single tick bite, ive also worn them at a field here in australia that has a real bad leech problem, where i wore the skins, no leech bites, they were on my but couldnt get through the material and the salt from my sweat made them shrink up

If that's all you have to worry about, then that sure makes searching for ticks a hell of a lot easier.

#19 User is offline   Huff n Puff 

• Elite Sabre
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:HUFF N PUFF

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:15 PM

The biggest problem I have with ticks is they really like my hair. I had long but very curly hair and I would have to check my hair after every game, but now that my hair is shorter it makes searching a lot easier.
I say check often, if you catch them before they bite they are a lot easier to deal with.
Also, try not to tuck your shirt into your pants, they hide in your waistband and then they go down your pants.

But I like Aussie_bloke's idea. Seams like a very simple and great way to keep them from biting.
Elite Team 6 Rocks
Fire? Yes Please

#20 Guest_Woodland Warrior_*

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

Just put plenty of bug spray on, especially around your legs, and you should be fine.

This post has been edited by Woodland Warrior: 31 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

#21 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:28 PM

the standard procedure I've learned for DDAY

Absolutely soak your BDUs in bugspray the day before.. let them dry overnight
Put tick collars around your wrists and ankles
Then tape/strap/rubber band your wrists and ankles shut.

Two years, tons of crawling in the 210, two ticks (they got in when I forgot to wear a belt.. crawled down my pants..)

Lo

#22 User is offline   Caissey 

• Mmm Tasteeos Rock
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tasteeos

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

View PostReaper1101, on Jul 10 2008, 02:54 PM, said:

Ok, so on tuesday, I had the makings of a concusion...

Then, my left side of my face lost the ability to move, this i know is called Bells pausy. I imediatly went tot he E.R.

When i show up, i get a room, and Recieve over 12 needles to see whats wrong, I find out i have lymes disease, and contracted it up to 3-4 weeks ago, without knowing.
Now, i am released, have a cathader in my arm, and must be on medication for the next 28 days. I also cannot close my eye for a while because of theprevious problems...

I will be on later, then Im going to I.O.N at skirmish this weekend, no matter how sick i am...

Basicly, watch out for ticks after a day of play.

My grandmother has lyme disease now because she walked outside for two minutes to get the mail. Weird. I have had ticks all over me and none of them got to bite me. It was weird they just crawled on my arm hair and like got confused or something so I just flicked them off.

#23 User is offline   GhillieMonstar 

• The kid with a ghillie
  • PipPip

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:56 AM

Oh, so not all of them give you lyme disease. And also is their only one certain type of tick that gives you lyme disease?

#24 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:43 AM

Yup.. the infected kind.. :wacko:

I think all ticks can carry lyme disease, but some are more prone to it. But don't quote me on that!
Lo

#25 User is offline   Ghost.Mob.One 

• Official BES Paint Slinger
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost.Mob.One

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:43 AM

I had put a post up with alot of information regarding ticks and safety last may, and i dont know why it wasnt made a sticky, but i really think it should be.. this is the link to that post... MODS... if anyone can please make this a sticky, please do.. all the information was takin from valid websites like WebMD, along with photos to show what different ticks look like..

Ghost.Mob.One's May of 2007 Tick Post

#26 User is offline   EvilxTriumphs 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:14 PM

i hate ticks, They always seem to find there way up my pants.
"Evil triumphs when good men do nothing"

"War doesn't determine whos right, Only whos left."

#27 User is offline   UV Halo 

• Blacklight Baller
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:UV Halo

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

I just figured I'd share some relevant info from the CDC's website [info from other websites and personal experience in italics]:

The only known ticks known to transmit Lyme Disease are the Black Legged (aka Deer) and the Western-Black Legged Tick:
Posted Image.

Avoid wooded, bushy and leafy areas. I can't see that happening on a woodsball field so, take the rest of this advice more seriously:

Take extra precautions in May, June, and July. This is when ticks that transmit Lyme disease are most active.

Wear long pants, long sleeves, and long socks to keep ticks off your skin. Light-colored clothing will help you spot ticks more easily. Tucking pant legs into socks or boots and tucking shirts into pants help keep ticks on the outside of clothing. If you’ll be outside for an extended period of time, tape the area where your pants and socks meet to prevent ticks from crawling under your clothes. If you're wearing SO Ultralights, or otherwise vented clothing, keep in mind that ticks can get through those ventilation holes easily just as easy as the breeze.

Use insect repellent with 20% - 30% DEET on exposed skin and clothing to prevent tick bites. Higher concentrations for longer periods of tick exposure and where the risk is high. 20-30% is good for that walk through the park. Most of us, while playing on a warm day will build up enough sweat to effectively 'rinse' off the DEET which is another reason why higher percentages are better. Apply only to exposed skin (putting it underneath clothing can increase the chance of some pretty nasty skin irritation), When you use an aerosol and pump spray, spray a little on your skin and then use your hand to smooth it evenly over the area. Otherwise follow the directions.

Permethrin is another type of repellent. It can be purchased at outdoor equipment stores that carry camping or hunting gear. Permethrin kills ticks on contact! One application to pants, socks, and shoes typically stays effective through several washings. Permethrin should not be applied directly to skin. Spray this stuff on your clothes (while not wearing them), let them air dry and it will last for up to six washings.

Remove ticks from your clothes before going indoors. To kill ticks that you may have missed, wash your clothes with hot water and dry them using high heat for at least one hour. Not good for paintball clothes so, another reason to use permethrin to keep them off in the first place.

Perform daily tick checks after being outdoors, even in your own yard. Inspect all parts of your body carefully including your armpits, scalp, and groin. Remove ticks immediately using fine-tipped tweezers or a tool designed to remove them like this one. I've also read that it's a good idea to put the tick in a sealed container, then put some isopropyl alcohol in the container when you get home. That way, should you get questionable symptoms, you can take the tick to the doctors and they can submit it for testing.

If a tick is attached to your skin for less than 24 hours, your chance of getting Lyme disease is extremely small. But just to be safe, monitor your health closely after a tick bite and be alert for any signs and symptoms of tick-borne illness.

Now for what I do:
I wear UnderArmor Heat Gear: long sleeve shirt, leggings, and skull cap, all treated with permethrin. I wear this since the openings (waist, ankles, wrists, neck) are all elastic with the shirt tucked into leggings, leggings tucked into socks. I wear this underneath whatever paintball clothes I am wearing (to include knee and elbow pads). I treat all my exposed skin (hands, neck, and around the perimeter of my face and, the scalp the skullcap doesn't cover) with Off! brand Deep Woods Sportsmen (98% DEET). Two years of frequent summer playing, I've been playing in Leesburg, VA (prime tick country) without a single tick (and I tend to crawl through brush rather than go around it). My setup might be pricey (especially considering how much UA costs) but, the basic concept can be done for much less (a physical barrier to your body, treated with permethrin, DEET on exposed skin).

I'm sure nothing is foolproof. It's all about minimizing your risk.

Play safe!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users