• You cannot reply to this topic

What is a good sniper marker? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MeltyGoblin 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:MeltyGoblin

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:18 PM

Ok I've been playing for about 4 years now, but I just recently got serious, I've learned throught trail and error that my best position is ambush sniper. My current marker is a spyder xtra from about '04. It's nice and light, but it's centerfeed, so with no sights, I basically have to take about 3 shots per kill, which totally gives me away. Now I considered a tippmann, but they are a little too bulky for an ambush sniper. So I'm wondering what I can get for no more than $200 ($150 preferrably) that I can easily modify, and take with me sniping. I really don't want anything bulky, I want to be able to set up just about anywhere.

#2 User is offline   UWANNAGO 

• Im kind of a big deal, people know me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:UWANNAGO

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

View PostMeltyGoblin, on Jun 17 2010, 07:18 PM, said:

Ok I've been playing for about 4 years now, but I just recently got serious, I've learned throught trail and error that my best position is ambush sniper. My current marker is a spyder xtra from about '04. It's nice and light, but it's centerfeed, so with no sights, I basically have to take about 3 shots per kill, which totally gives me away. Now I considered a tippmann, but they are a little too bulky for an ambush sniper. So I'm wondering what I can get for no more than $200 ($150 preferrably) that I can easily modify, and take with me sniping. I really don't want anything bulky, I want to be able to set up just about anywhere.

You can aim down the barrel just as effectively as if you were using a site, paintball guns arent real guns they are not accurate enough to warrant precision aiming because you cant really zero them in there are alot of factors that can change how paintballs fly from pod to pod much less long term things like cases and brands.

Get a gun you like, your so close to people that there is no way you wont give away your position unless your have a magic paintball gun.

On that note good begginer guns are 98c, a5, mini, the dangerous power guns, ion, if you have the money an automag.

#3 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:28 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a centerfeed for ambush shooting.

The keys to an ambush type role are: a consistent marker (shoots the same velocity over the chrono, closer is better), good paint, and someone who has spent a lot of time practicing with their gear.

I have an AKA Viking from 2004 (really, really consistent gun btw, though not in the price range you're looking at), and after years with it, I am extremely accurate with it given quality paint. It's just experience of "sighting down the barrel, and knowing where the guy is and what the paint will do, aim here and fire now."

I may not do much ambush shooting (I tend to either hit the frontlines of a firefight or try to sneak around it for a flank, not so much the "lie in wait" type), but the principle would be the same.

EDIT: For your price range, I'd look at an automag if you want a new gun. They're not too expensive used (unless you get one of the nicer ones like a ULE, Tac One, or Emag). I'd look at a minimag for example.

This post has been edited by Thalion: 17 June 2010 - 07:29 PM

Member of Team Akkadian

#4 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

Two posts ahead should be read twice.
read Thalions post at least three times.

righty, although they said the Automag ( which I will 100% support)
If you can, go used. For your price range, at 200$ you can grab older markers valued at 250$ - 300$ or even 350$ for 200 now. This will make a big difference in your game because generally the sub 200$ markers are not consistent, or made with quality parts. But the markers reaching 300$ tend to have a little more quality put into the valves and the materials. This is where improvement will come from.

Also, what markers have You looked at. I could name 15 different markers, but maybe you have seen 3 or 4 of the same ones and we could offer a different choice to represent a different view.

And I love my tippmann to death. but For the price it comes at there are Plenty of markers which will be more useful, more of the time. for the same price.
If there is one thing you take from my post, let it be this:

Don't Buy a marker to make you. Don't buy a marker which is designated to a position. Buy a marker which will allow you to do everything, then make the marker play your position. A Sniper marker is only a sniper with a marker. Make the marker yours.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 17 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

#5 User is offline   MeltyGoblin 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MeltyGoblin

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

I really haven't looked at much I was coming here for ideas, I was considering an mr1 or maybe an mr4, but I don't know, now you guys are making me think of keeping my spyder. I've been working on fixing it, it's been chopping like 1 ball every 200, and it wasn't doing that before. not to mention the fact that when I bought it I never expected to become the woodsball fanatic that I am, so it's bright silver and blue, but some camo vinyl tape fixed most of that.

Just the main problem right now is it's not been as reliable as it has been in the past. In my earlier years I was pretty rough on it, and it shows. It's been chopping balls as I said, and i"ve had to repair numerous other small things

This post has been edited by MeltyGoblin: 17 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

#6 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

View PostMeltyGoblin, on Jun 17 2010, 07:46 PM, said:

Just the main problem right now is it's not been as reliable as it has been in the past. In my earlier years I was pretty rough on it, and it shows. It's been chopping balls as I said, and i"ve had to repair numerous other small things

If you looking for a more permanent marker to play with and play hard with. You may want to consider turning your spider into a "fun gun" and grabbing a more predominant marker one which will fill in all your needs for playing.
I played with my tippmann for 3 years and moved onto a Automag ( Tac -one) which Is literally night and day. I'm convinced this marker will go and do everything I need it to on demand.

if you want, Wait a little bit. find out exactly what you like and dont like about your marker. and save some money in the mean time. and do as much research on markers as possible. to and get into a pro-shop and ask some people about your situation and what they think.

personally, I think I medium range marker which will last you your ballin days with quality parts which will be easy to repair and to keep maintained is in order.

#7 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

The MR1 / other spyders will offer you no benefit over what you currently own.

They too will wear out over time, as you current spyder has.

Look around for things that fit your playing style and budget, and feel comfortable to you in hand, but I would honestly look at any of the following (depending on interests/budget, bearing in mind that I'm only going with things that can shoot consistently in the rough price range you specified):

Automags (used) - specifically any of the non-ULE or non-Tac One guns (the ULEs and Tac Ones are excellent, but are going to be outside the price range you listed)

CCI Phantoms (if you also want to go pump, which is a lot of fun but requires practice)

Used midrange electros -- Even though most people attribute an electro with fast shooting, their consistency over the chrono makes them desirable markers for anyone, even those who shoot slower. Look at Minis, Dangerous Power guns, PMRs, anything in your price range. You may even find some Angels or Planet Eclipse guns in the used market.

What you want to use is all up to you, but once you find what you like, get good paint and practice, practice, practice. I would say 85% of an ambush "one shot elimination" is the shooter.
Member of Team Akkadian

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users