• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

anodizing acid wash tips? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   TheIronMaiden 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:29 PM

Wondering how to acid wash my marker.any tips, guidelines, and ideas are helpful. i looked around on the web and found some good information but couldn't help but ask this great forum for advice :) thanks for the help.

#2 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:11 AM

Well, here is my tip.

Find agood annodizing company and let them do the work for you!

I spent a bit of time in the anno industry. Just long enough to know that I would need far more experience than I have now to properly annodize aluminum. There is just far to many pitfalls to fall into for me to risk damaging my gun.
Especially with an acid wash. Gadzookies!

I know this is not the kind of help you were looking for, but I hold firm to the "Leave it to the professionals." moto when it comes to anno. (even then some of the "professionals" are idiots that manage to break stuff)

#3 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:02 PM

http://forum.moatipa...dpost&p=1319947
There's a couple of links there, not sure if they are still active. Short version: You need a safe, secure, well ventilates place, like a garage to do it. You may also need to look into zoning laws due to the chemicals you will need to store. Talking to the cops might not be a bad idea either, don't need them thinking you're setting up a meth lab because a neighbor calls them on you.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#4 User is offline   TheIronMaiden 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

thank you both for the help :)

#5 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

http://astro.neutral.org/anodise.shtml
http://www.thefintel...umanodizing.htm

http://www.warpig.co...l/anodize.shtml

There are a few precautions I want to go over to help keep you from blowing up the house or trashing the garage. First of all, do not mix or store your anodizing solution in a glass container. Something could happen to make it break, and most households are not equipped to deal with that kind of spill. You also don't want to knock over the container, so a stable, rubber bucket makes a good choice. You will also need to be certain that the part you want to color will fit in the container without sticking out of the solution, and without touching the negative ground in the bottom of the container. Any acid that you don't use, keep in what it came in, or an old plastic bottle, like a bleach bottle. You can also store your used solution this way for doing more parts later. (Make sure that there is absolutely no bleach left in the bottle. Acid and bleach make chlorine gas. Very bad. Don't breath. Poisonous.) Safety also applies to the nitric acid, but in a different way. It is imperative that you label and keep track of this stuff, as it is a stronger acid than sulfuric, and more dangerous. The breakage/spill problem is not as likely since you won't have that much around. (Unless you bought more than a few ounces from the chem store.) The last note about the acids is to mix properly when adding acid and water. Always pour acid into water, never the other way, and do so slowly, being sure to mix in well. There is a reaction taking place and it releases a lot of energy. During the anodizing process, you will be running electricity through a weak acid solution. This creates hydrogen (just like charging a battery) which is very flammable. This stuff burns at the speed of thought when ignited, so do be careful. (Read as Remember the Hindenburg?) Make certain that there is some way to ventilate the project area, and DO NOT let any sources of ignition near the project area. Other precautions you should take include safety glasses, rubber gloves, and maybe some sort of drop sheet under the area.

Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users