Special Ops Paintball: "Protective" gear, what's the overkill point? - Special Ops Paintball

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Protective" gear, what's the overkill point? random thought Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#226 User is offline   French 

• Group:Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:QC MAD KID

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

View PostNot_You, on May 13 2008, 11:09 AM, said:

you forgot the empire ground pounders

yeah, i think that padding inthe knees and crotch are all you need, elbows if you do alot of crawling.

dive ?slide
INFLUENCE 09 Vaughan Vipers RXL 2k10
WARNING HEAVY METAL click me /Here my feedback
Tdot feedback Group banned# 13 MCB feedback

#227 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlueDragonX

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

The first game I ever played I wore short and a t-shirt. The first purpose built clothing I ever bought for paintball are my Empire Contact pants. That was two months ago. Now when I play, it's those pants and a t-shirt.

The reason I got the pants is because I've ruined so many normal pairs of pants from running through brush and sliding (that's almost always the cause of rips for me) that I decided a nice pair of paintball pants would be worth my investment. They're padded in all the right spots for how I play. They also protect my crotch, which is great (I hate cups, btw).

Now I'm beginning to think some gloves would be real nice as I continually seem to scrape up my hands on the ground. Plus finger shots hurt...

But any more than that I don't find necessary. For me, anyways. I can also understand wearing neck protectors and something to protect one's forearms (I've taken some nasty shots on mine), as long as the forearm protection is not bouncy. i.e., cloth backed plastic or hard leather.

A picature of me in full gear:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by BlueDragonX: 13 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

Ghost Recon - Chord Mag - E-Mag - Stiffi vs. C-Series
"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#228 User is offline   TheECP 

• Less QQ more Pew Pew
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

I don't know how I ever managed without my Eclipse elbow, err, armpads. It feels so nice when I'm diving and crawling, which I do a lot of. I haven't been shot in the arm since I got them so I don't know how bounce-padded they are, but I don't care. They are perfect for the hard California rocky dry dirt.

Plus I have pretty bad joints, so elbow and knee protection is a must for me.

This post has been edited by TheECP: 13 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'........and I'll look down, and whisper 'No.'" -Rorschach

#229 User is offline   DALE WOLFE 

• GODZTOASTER
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:WOLFEPAC

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:37 PM

View PostTyger, on Feb 2 2008, 04:44 PM, said:

Been sick for the last week, so keep that in mind. But, this has been a trend for the last few years. I thought I'd point and laugh at it.

If I go to the paintball field wearing a neoprene vest under my BDU jacket, I'll get laughed at. I'll get ridiculed publicly if I wear it OVER my BDU jacket. Same goes for wearing neck protectors. Why? "Only n00bs wear those!" As if it's seen as being weak to wear protective gear like that.

Tyger, all I can say is wow great post. I personally do not like the body armor but I earned my padding lol. I do wear a neck protector because it holds my throat mic in place. If any makes fun of me, well I'm 38 so I guess I would just stick a screwdriver in theor tires. hahaha

just kidding but I like what you said!

GT
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

maximum size exceeded

#230 User is offline   undeadmouse 

• Look! An undead mouse!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:undeadmouse

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:17 AM

I have a tendancy to get hot easily, so I don't use a lot of protective padding.
I usually wear nylon shorts (they do protect, I've been shot in the groin a few times and it works) and kneepads under my pants and a t-shirt.
If it warmer then about 80* out I'll just go in shorts, sandals and a t-shirt.

Now, personally I think anyone who wears more then 2 shirts, groin protection, knee pads, a neck guard, and elbow pads is a wuss, but I don't bug anyone about it.

Hide in shame from my lack of aim! - Pump Member 112 (It's been over 2 years, okay?) ...blah dropped to 54% shot efficiency.
I'm back from a long long long time of no paintball, drooling over markers older then I am.

#231 User is offline   Aim for the trash 

• Not my name?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:REMOVED AS INAPPROPRIATE

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

This is me before a game. As you can see, protection is minimal besides the knees and the crotch.
Posted Image
You have failed as a paintballer.
Special Ops Feedback M. Carter Brown feedback
Dirty quotes get you warned. Dang it Mike.

#232 User is offline   Chibbs 

• Team Voodoo
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Chibbs

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:49 PM

i only wear knee/elbow pads since i dive and slide a lot, i used to not wear elbow pads but then in 1 game after a few dives have very bad bruises on my whole forearm, slider shots and baggy pants. My pod pack which protects my stomach a bit ( i hate getting shot in the stomach more then anything) my mask of course and a hat or some sort of head wrap, i usually wear my jersey and some underarmor, i dont like getting overheated and even with those i get a bit hot

generally the only exposed skin i have is my neck, although i have no problem with neck protectors i just dont like wearing them myself, i know a lot of people who do wear them, they work and generally cant go in with welts on their neck, since im in college so it doesnt matter if i have a welt on my neck and generally i get a high 5 if i do before i explain what it is

This post has been edited by Chibbs: 14 May 2008 - 04:50 PM

Proudly Sponsored by and Affiliated with: Smart Parts l Player Paintball l Bonusball King l Hater Paintball l Voodoo Paintball l EMR Paintball Park l Dark Ops Paintball
l A+ Anodizing l HAH DIGITAL l Fogtech l "Paintball is the Voodoo, that we do, so well." l Information on Poison Ivy

#233 User is offline   FreeEnterprise 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:54 AM

As a former professional bmx freestyle biker, I've seen many serious accidents. I have friends that have had hundred thousand dollar medical bills from tricks gone wrong, not to mention permanent debilitating injuries.

And in BMX your considered a "loser" if you wear a helmet, or pads. or ride with brakes on your bike. (duh)

I never understood that philosophy. I have permanent damage in my knees from my decades of riding, so when I play paintball I wear knee pads.

I also wear a full helmet and neck guard. And always a cup. Gloves too if I remember them. And tall boots to keep from turning my ankles.

I've been hit in the head and neck on the paintball field so many times I can't even count.

But, I play woodsball. In my woods behind my house. I have 30 foot drop offs back there, so to not wear pads would be irresponsible.

And limping in to work after bashing my knee on a tree is just not fun...

The trick is to play with people with character. When you get out there on a public field you end up with guys that are going to cheat. They have to be the baddest guy and the rules just don't apply to them. They turn their guns up, or wipe, or just play dirty...

Live is to short. Play with your friends that you can trust and paintball is just way more fun.

Oh, and we play if you are hit you are out. Regardless of breaks.

which eliminates the whole bounce issue.

If you want to mix it up, add a medic to each team.

#234 User is offline   kingkole02 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:KingKole02

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

Posted Image

You can see from this picture.

I sewed pad pockets on the inside of my pants. I get hit in the thighs alot so I decided to place these there. They hold pads about 5 x 7 x1/2 thick open celled foam. Have gotten many bounces too.

This post has been edited by kingkole02: 10 June 2008 - 10:34 AM

Black ants, no-see-ems, mosquitoes, nats, flies, and other bugs are all part of the excitement!

You have to learn how to crawl before you can walk. You have to learn how to walk before you can run.
Mostly importantly, you must be willing to do all three in a game of woods-ball.

GeneWize Life Sciences
Independent Affiliate - Building the West Coast of Florida
www.weknowdna.com

#235 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

When you fall down in your protective gear, and you can't get up...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#236 User is offline   WoodsSniper 

• R.I.P. Dime
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

I'd say anything more than elbow pads, knee pads, and something to protect your... umm... extremities is starting to over do it.
All I'm gonna do is just go on and do what I feel. - Jimi Hendrix
Feedback: http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=164293

My teams home field, take a look, especially if your from Mississippi
http://thomaspaintball.weebly.com/index.html

#237 User is offline   kingkole02 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:KingKole02

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

View PostWarpaint, on Jun 10 2008, 11:38 AM, said:

When you fall down in your protective gear, and you can't get up...

Ditto! :D
Black ants, no-see-ems, mosquitoes, nats, flies, and other bugs are all part of the excitement!

You have to learn how to crawl before you can walk. You have to learn how to walk before you can run.
Mostly importantly, you must be willing to do all three in a game of woods-ball.

GeneWize Life Sciences
Independent Affiliate - Building the West Coast of Florida
www.weknowdna.com

Share this topic:

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users