Special Ops Paintball: Prototype first strike capable phantom - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prototype first strike capable phantom Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   MuKen 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: 04-August 06

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

Been working on this project for awhile, it's a phantom that's been modded to accept tiberius magazines, making it capable of loading and shooting first strike rounds with the new 8.1 mags. I'm calling it the "Striker Phantom" for now.

The idea for this started with that whole SA-8 fiasco some time ago. I saw a market flooded with "useless" sa-8s that everyone was trying to sell on the cheap. So I decided to buy one, cut out everything except the part that accepts the magazines, and mount it onto a side-stock-class phantom breech.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Gun features:

undercocking kit
stiffi freak barrel
low pressure springing
built in palmers reg valve
16cc hpa tank (yeah, I was surprised to find one of these too)


Basic construction process:

Begin with a side SC breech. Dremel out the feed port to fit first strike rounds. Take a phantom sight rail, cut off about an inch and a half to put in front of the feed port. Sand off the anno on the breech and under the sight rail, then epoxy them together. Grind off the top of the sight rail until it is a flat surface. (This flat surface is easier to affix to the tiberius parts than a tube would have been.

Take apart the sa-8, and remove all the internals, leaving just the body and grip. Sand off the anno around the aluminum body area where it meets the plastic grip. Sand the corresponding grip area so it is rough. Epoxy them together and then reassemble the screws holding the whole thing together until the epoxy dries. (This is important, because we will cut off the portions that screw together later, so we need to epoxy now while it is lined up correctly for the magazine spring release).

Cut off the bottom of the grip and everything around the junction, then grind down the top until it is flat. Line it up with the phantom breech and epoxy them together.


Current impressions:

The marker works as expected, with a few caveats. The first strike rounds can load and fire (and aim like a charm). However there are two current issues. First, there's a bit of space between the magazine and the breech, and second the breech of a phantom is a bit larger on the inside than is optimal for handling first strike rounds. As a result, when you pump, the round behind the one being loaded will be rotated 90 degrees up by the pump action, then it will be rotated back forward when it is its own turn to be loaded. This is fine, except you have to have a very smooth and gentle pump stroke otherwise you risk cutting the "fins" on the round. Another problem is that the last round in the clip fails to be rotated properly because there is nothing pushing it down, this would probably be fixed after I grind off some more material to place the magazine closer to the breech so its internal spring will continue to press the round down.

Also, I did not realize the spring for the magazine release is embedded in the material of the grip; cutting off so much of it removed the springiness, so the release has to be manually switched when you load a new mag. I may try to find another sa-8 to redo that and leave another half inch of the grip intact.


I would like very much if one of the many talented airsmiths would like to build a more professional run of these.....

This post has been edited by MuKen: 25 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

1

#2 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

  • The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,296
  • Joined: 23-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. Albert, AB
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

That's sooo cool!!! o.0 phantom barrel + first strikes must be wicked!

EDIT: Though you are using a different one that is quite nice also.

Does the gun require a 12gram in the clip to fire? It appears it is still hooked up to an HPA tank.

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 25 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

0

#3 User is offline   MuKen 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: 04-August 06

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 25 August 2010 - 03:45 PM, said:

Does the gun require a 12gram in the clip to fire? It appears it is still hooked up to an HPA tank.


No, the 12g in the pic is just because I grabbed a clip out of my t8.1 for photography purposes and forgot to take the 12g out. The marker has its own air supply.
0

#4 User is offline   Mike68 

  • "Have a sense of preservation!"
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 477
  • Joined: 26-May 05

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

Wow! Very cool. I love to see DIY projects on paintball guns, it harkens back to the glory days of the sport.

I wonder if a Phantom breech could be modified to accept Tiberius mags in the VSC area. It would require heavy modification to the guiding rod, an entirely new pump system and breech would have to be constructed.
"My greatest fear is that when I die, no one will remember me."

-Some dead guy
0

#5 User is offline   MuKen 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: 04-August 06

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

View PostMike68, on 25 August 2010 - 07:17 PM, said:

Wow! Very cool. I love to see DIY projects on paintball guns, it harkens back to the glory days of the sport.

I wonder if a Phantom breech could be modified to accept Tiberius mags in the VSC area. It would require heavy modification to the guiding rod, an entirely new pump system and breech would have to be constructed.


Thanks! It would be cool to have a foregrip-like receiver for the mags, but as you said you'd have to deal with the whole pump system being in the way. The trigger frame as well sits right underneath the bolt; given the size of the magazines, you'd have to redesign that as well, unfortunately.

I think ideally if we wanted something like that, we'd need it to be a custom carter buzzard, as you don't have the pump guiding rod in the way, and the feed port sits a little further forward from the grip. But I don't think I could bring myself to butcher up a buzzard breech, lol. That's like taking a hacksaw and welding torch to affix a new spoiler to a corvette...
0

#6 User is offline   Mike68 

  • "Have a sense of preservation!"
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 477
  • Joined: 26-May 05

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

View PostMuKen, on 25 August 2010 - 05:38 PM, said:

View PostMike68, on 25 August 2010 - 07:17 PM, said:

Wow! Very cool. I love to see DIY projects on paintball guns, it harkens back to the glory days of the sport.

I wonder if a Phantom breech could be modified to accept Tiberius mags in the VSC area. It would require heavy modification to the guiding rod, an entirely new pump system and breech would have to be constructed.


Thanks! It would be cool to have a foregrip-like receiver for the mags, but as you said you'd have to deal with the whole pump system being in the way. The trigger frame as well sits right underneath the bolt; given the size of the magazines, you'd have to redesign that as well, unfortunately.

I think ideally if we wanted something like that, we'd need it to be a custom carter buzzard, as you don't have the pump guiding rod in the way, and the feed port sits a little further forward from the grip. But I don't think I could bring myself to butcher up a buzzard breech, lol. That's like taking a hacksaw and welding torch to affix a new spoiler to a corvette...




I know what you mean. I think that's a project we'd have to leave to the professionals, just because of the ethical dilemma of chopping into something so beautiful.
"My greatest fear is that when I die, no one will remember me."

-Some dead guy
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users