Special Ops Paintball: Ghetto Multicam Warrior, Part 1: The Uniform - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ghetto Multicam Warrior, Part 1: The Uniform How to Be Fly with Crye for Less!

#1 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:C

Post icon  Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:01 PM

Crye Precision of New York are the makers of Multicam, a distinctive and complex multienvironment camouflage pattern printed on soft but durable 50-50 nylon-cotton fabrics (either rip-stop or the more common twill), as well as two weights of Cordura nylon. Crye's patented pattern, strictly controled by its creator, has piqued much interest the world of tactical apparel and equipment for woods paintball. One of the only drawbacks to Crye Precision's Multicam products is their considerable expense. Their in-house garments are particularly pricey, and any third-party manufacturer who uses Crye's patented pattern -- including Special Ops, who buys a range of Crye fabrics to make its own unique line of soft goods -- pays heavy licensing fees that inevitably get passed on to the consumer.

So let's look at getting around this economic hitch and taking advantage of the virtues of the Crye pattern without the high costs of its exclusive in-house and officially licensed product designs...

Ghetto Multicam Warrior, Part 1: The Uniform

1) Buy Knock-Offs

Let's face it, starting at around $200 a set for the R6 Field line, buying genuine Crye tactical apparel, where you are paying for the unique design and the atypical fabric content as well as the special camouflage pattern, is not in the cards for budget-conscious 'ballers. You can save some significant expense by buying BDUs made from licensed Crye material from any of several vendors, including Special Ops, SKD, Tru-Spec, and TAD, and you'll save about 25%. You'll get real-deal Multicam printed on nice ny-co fabric, you'll get well-designed BDUs with their own unique features, you'll pocket fifty bucks, and you'll have a clean conscience.

Of course, true ghetto Multicam warriors will buy Asian-made knockoffs on eBay or from Real Action Paintball at $90 a set or less and save over 50%. The RAPs are probably the best of the bunch of copies available, with their generous ACU-style cut and solid poly-cotton BDU cloth construction. Sure, they are not as nice as Crye Field BDUs or liscensed Multicam apparel from Special Ops cut from ny-co, but they'll give you most of the tactical advantages a practical woodsballer needs, pass muster as Multicam on cursory inspection, and let you keep a Benjamin to upgrade your marker. If overlooking things like international copyright laws doesn't offend your sensibilities and/or your budget doesn't allow for genuine Crye BDUs or licensed alternatives, live well with less and get some RAPs.

(For the record, I bought the real-deal Crye and SKD stuff for myself, and I play in some wonderful Special Ops custom Multicam Marauders -- which I LOVE...)

Posted Image

2) The Mask

Everyone's been very excited about the new VForce Grill paintball goggles, available in a particularly interesting two-tone color known as Lizard, an olive and khaki combo that blends in perfectly with Crye Multicam. Sure, the new mask has its detractors, and Profiler diehards rail at the thought of a mask being placed above theirs in the VForce product line, but the Grill is lightweight, of the highest quality, and aggressively styled to turn heads as well as function impeccably. It also retails for $90 to $100, which sucks. To further frustrate 'ballers looking for the ultimate Multicam setup, Lizard Grills are the current Holy Grail of tactical paintball goggles. Pretty much no one has them short of opportunists on eBay auctioning them for three figures, and legitimate vendors are stacked with pre-orders due to VForces short supply of tactical colors.

You can take one step "down" and get the Grill in a similar tactical color that's not quite as "perfect", like Reverse Green (which is more of an olive) or green. Or you can get either of the same colors in a Profiler mask, which remains an excellent set of woodsball goggles.

The true ghetto Multicam warrior will get a green VForce Vantage Pro thermal goggle for only $25. For a quarter of the winning auction price of a Lizard Grill on eBay, the savvy 'baller can be wearing the "Son of Profiler," an affordable, lightweight, bouncy, durable, exceptionally comfortable, and nicely styled unit with the same easy lens changes and thermally cured anti-fog lens technology as VForce's top-end offerings. The green color with black insets works very well with Multicam as well as most other camo patterns. The Vantage Pro is probably the best goggle value out there, dollar for dollar.

Posted Image

3) The Accessories

The hot accessories to round out your genuine Crye Multicam outfit are Oakley SI gloves and boots in Desert tan, the same tactical gear worn by real-world operators. There's no denying how sweet Oakley gear looks -- or its excellent quality -- and there's also no denying that you're going to pay through the nose for it! SI gloves and boots will set you back $250-$300. If you have that kind of dough for gloves and boots, you shouldn't be reading this post!

You can save a little money by picking other real-world tactical gear in appropriate colors to work with your nifty Multicam, like gloves by Wiley or BlackHawk for $50-$80, or tactical boots by Converse, who makes a sweet 8" side-zip model with a safety toe and an excellent high-traction sole in tan rough-out leather for around $90. Together, you can undercut Oakley's pricepoint by 30-50% and still have excellent proven protection for your hands and feet that matches your camo.

The true ghetto Multicam warrior turns his nose up at all of this high-priced gear. He gets by with cheap but good-quality suede leather low hiking boots or trail shoes by companies like Columbia, Hi-Tec, or Nevados (which makes some dirt-cheap trail runners that are perfect for paintball), any of which can be had for $20-$40. For his hands, he hits Wal-Mart and finds tan Carhartt work gloves (the nitrile-dipped ones with the high-traction palm) for six bucks a piece or tan leather/neoprene work gloves for under $10. With these, your hands can maintain their dexterity and get the protection hardcore woodsballers need, while remaining full of your hard-earned cash!

Stay tuned for Ghetto Multicam Warrior, Part II: The Vest...

This post has been edited by Lil' C: 26 March 2007 - 12:05 PM

Sigs aren't actually allowed on the Special Ops Forum, so I don't have one.

#2 User is offline   djsupahfly 

• Mr. Supah Fly
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Djsupahfly

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

Good idea for people looking to save some money and still have a decent set up.

But i pay for the quality and the state of mind knowing im getting the best of the best. I dont have to buy a set for 90$ and have it not stand up to the woods or even just a few wash cycles. Then end up spending another amount, when i coulda just spent it all for crye.

I ended up getting a 200$ set from crye along with a custom vest from chad aka Echo 3. i say its worth it, i know that im getting the best of the best and it wont let me down.

Posted Image
Slow is Smooth
Smooth is Fast

PB Sale, barrels, summer gear, guns, etc.

#3 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:40 AM

View Postdjsupahfly, on Mar 12 2007, 05:09 PM, said:

Good idea for people looking to save some money and still have a decent set up...I ended up getting a 200$ set from crye along with a custom vest from chad aka Echo 3. i say its worth it, i know that im getting the best of the best and it wont let me down.

Thanks. Yeah, I got custom Special Ops Marauders made from genuine Crye fabric, as well as the Crye Combat Shirt (which is cool) and field pants. I also got the same vest as you from Chad, without the mesh (all Multicam Cordura) and with an all-MOLLE back. Your setup looks really tight... [Thumbs-up gesture]

For the record, I don't think the RAP Multicam will hold up as well as the real-deal Crye fabric, but then I don't think it will hold up any WORSE than any other civilian commercial-quality printed poly-cotton BDU either...

This post has been edited by Lil' C: 13 March 2007 - 07:43 AM

#4 User is offline   djsupahfly 

• Mr. Supah Fly
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Djsupahfly

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:39 PM

Thanks alot that was my first day playing in it and it was amazing. Very comfy, but extremely heavy, but thats my choice since i loaded 9 pods onto it and alll that other stuff.

Btw, i would recommend anyone looking for multicam to go and get some, and if you can afford the real deal, just read what lil C posted.
Slow is Smooth
Smooth is Fast

PB Sale, barrels, summer gear, guns, etc.

#5 User is offline   Gobo Fongo 

• Master of Awesome
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gobo Fongo

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:29 PM

I found real legitimate Multicam (full set) for $100 at AFMO

"On the other hand, I WILL buy a Viking, and every time I shoot it I will be symbolically sticking it to Smart Parts."
Me Feedback ALL MY STUFF FOR SALE Multicam Headwrap Sale

#6 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:22 AM

View PostGobo Fongo, on Mar 14 2007, 01:29 PM, said:

I found real legitimate Multicam (full set) for $100 at AFMO

As of today, AFMO confirms that these BDUs, currently $105 a set, are indeed genuine Crye Multicam fabric in the 50-50 ny-co twill, but they are still backordered on them until some time in April, so if you want to get in on the real-deal stuff at a very good price, you'd better put in your order now, because Chad could probably stitch you up some Marauders faster...

By the way, the ny-co Multicam TRUs ($140 a set) were received by AFMO yesterday, but in very limited supply. Most of those will be filling pre-orders. (I placed mine in December, when I got them for $110! TRUs in solid tactical colors run about $80.) There may be a few pieces left over in less popular sizes for immediate sale. I should get my TRUs by Tuesday of next week, and I'll post a review in the Clothing Review forum.

This post has been edited by Lil' C: 16 March 2007 - 10:24 AM

#7 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:54 AM

You can buy the real deal for $100, pants and jacket. Definitely not $200.
Wretched is the sound of my voice.

IN MY DROPSHIP ZIGZAGS STAY LIT

#8 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:57 AM

Multicam TRU review posted here... http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=104477

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   tacwraps 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:48 AM

The Hong Kong knock-offs definately won't hold up. I bought some last year. The color is very close and they are very light. However, after one day of playing, I've had to do major seam repairs. The stiching simply came apart in several spots. There's some immediate fading going on as well.
I'm waiting on a pair of pants from AFMO. I like the lightweight 50/50 nyco material.

#10 User is offline   wichie13 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:21 AM

Whats the difference between TRU BDU?
Yes i am a Noob :angry:

#11 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Meline

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:56 AM

TRU is an ACU uniform design.

BDU is your old Army uniform.
CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

#12 User is offline   Mulletar 

• Emasculator of the puerile
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mulletar

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

The difference between ACU/BDU is ACU is cut a little different, has a new collar, has some velcro pockets, and it has a lot of velcro for rank and name tapes.

94% of the people on this forum have an annoying statistic in their signature. If you think that's ridiculously stupid, or even if you're a part of the 0.5% that couldn't care less, put this in your sig.

#13 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:40 PM

View Posttacwraps, on Apr 5 2007, 05:48 AM, said:

The Hong Kong knock-offs definately won't hold up. I bought some last year. The color is very close and they are very light. However, after one day of playing, I've had to do major seam repairs. The stiching simply came apart in several spots. There's some immediate fading going on as well.
I'm waiting on a pair of pants from AFMO. I like the lightweight 50/50 nyco material.

Four days in the field so, far, and both sets of knock-offs on my team are still virtually pristine. Maybe the RAP supplier is different than the one who manufactured the knock-offs during the eBay flood from HK last year(?)...

#14 User is offline   mrmdano 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:OCMI-Dano

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

For the boots, I would suggest these. I bought a pair, and they are soooo comfortable.

Bates 8 inch for $40

#15 User is offline   Phaolan 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Phaolan

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

You can get a set of Propper Multicam from VT Army Navy for $70.00

http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/shared/StoreFro...et=products.asp
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle. - Sun Tzu

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users