• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Getting Surgery On My chest.

#1 Guest_SaltandVinegar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

I am getting surgery on my chest sometime. I don't know when, probably next month. But it's supposed to put me in the hospital for three days and keep me at home for three weeks and I won't be able to do much for three months. But if this happens, I'll miss the biggest scenario game in Utah! What do you guys think I can do to convince my mom my chest would be safe if I went after surgery after the three week period?

#2 User is offline   Factor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Factor

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

why do you need surgery in the first place?
what is the procedure called?
Digitally Dangerous: Factor this ...

#3 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

Uh yeah keep your butt on the bed and shut it, especially if they're opening your chest cavity and have to cut through ur breast plate, you ain't going anywhere. Get afew video games and chill man.

#4 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:17 PM

Listen to mom - Paintball will be around for later.

#5 Guest_SaltandVinegar_*

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

View PostFactor, on Jul 10 2007, 01:14 PM, said:

I'm not sure what it's called, but they're going to cut open my chest then break a couple of ribs so they're straight. They bend out cause they grow faster than others.

View Postslinkyaroo, on Jul 10 2007, 01:17 PM, said:

Listen to mom - Paintball will be around for later.

Dang it, it's the biggest game of the year. I'll just hope it just happens to happen after the game.

#6 User is offline   Factor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:38 PM

View PostSaltandVinegar, on Jul 10 2007, 03:29 PM, said:

I'm not sure what it's called, but they're going to cut open my chest then break a couple of ribs so they're straight. They bend out cause they grow faster than others.

i would question the necessity of the procedure altogether ... how old are you?
get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even a 5th opinion before you get SURGERY - surgery is risky, and permanent once they cut ...

at the very least, if it's that optional of a procedure and you still end up getting it, it sounds like it could wait another month until after the scenario game

#7 Guest_SaltandVinegar_*

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:45 PM

View PostFactor, on Jul 10 2007, 01:38 PM, said:

get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even a 5th opinion before you get SURGERY - surgery is risky, and permanent once they cut ...

at the very least, if it's that optional of a procedure and you still end up getting it, it sounds like it could wait another month until after the scenario game

16. They know what it is. It isn't necessarily a big deal. But my mom wants to get rid of it.

#8 User is offline   Badmagic 

• South Texas Woodsballer
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Badmagic

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

See if you can get a gunner position in a tank or something . . . just kidding. Don't do anything dumb after surgery, if you tear something you could have a serious problem. Especially if you’re in the middle of a game and far away for medical help.
Civilization begins with order, grows with liberty, and dies with chaos.

#9 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:58 PM

I'm pigeon breasted so I can see where you are coming form. Basically instead of the ribs giving me a normal flat chest the ribs curve inwards at the sternum. This puts it about an inch deeper than it should be. I consulted with 6 or 7 different doctors about it and all said the same thing, "If it were a little more in then you would need surgery as there would be a strong chance of your ribs puncturing your lungs and heart."

With you being 16 and still growing, get another opinion at least. If they say you NEED it then get it done.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#10 User is offline   Factor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

View PostSaltandVinegar, on Jul 10 2007, 03:45 PM, said:

View PostFactor, on Jul 10 2007, 01:38 PM, said:

16. They know what it is. It isn't necessarily a big deal. But my mom wants to get rid of it.

how many doctors have you seen regarding the condition?
keep in mind - if you go see a surgeon, his recommendation is going to be surgery - that's what they do ...
16 years old isn't that far from 18 years old - it's your decision too
i would ask to hear about case studies from other patients that have have had the procedure
go see other doctors that you find on your own and are in no way connected to the first doctors making the recommendation - get at least another 2 independant opinions

your mom ultimately cares about what's best for your health ... but when weighing the risk ... you've got to fully understand the risk you have NOT getting the procedure vs the risk and full side effects of an unsuccessful procedure

This post has been edited by Factor: 10 July 2007 - 01:02 PM

#11 Guest_SaltandVinegar_*

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

View PostPuzuma, on Jul 10 2007, 01:58 PM, said:

I'm pigeon breasted so I can see where you are coming form. Basically instead of the ribs giving me a normal flat chest the ribs curve inwards at the sternum. This puts it about an inch deeper than it should be. I consulted with 6 or 7 different doctors about it and all said the same thing, "If it were a little more in then you would need surgery as there would be a strong chance of your ribs puncturing your lungs and heart."

With you being 16 and still growing, get another opinion at least. If they say you NEED it then get it done.

I'm actually done growing. My growth plates are gone pretty much. But we've been told it isn't necessary by both doctors. But it is offered for such things as comfort cause it is a bit annoying. But I might not get it, depending on how it feels.

#12 User is offline   Factor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:09 PM

View PostSaltandVinegar, on Jul 10 2007, 04:04 PM, said:

I'm actually done growing. My growth plates are gone pretty much. But we've been told it isn't necessary by both doctors. But it is offered for such things as comfort cause it is a bit annoying. But I might not get it, depending on how it feels.

well it sounds like at the very least it won't hurt any to hold off until after the big scenario game ...

#13 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

I'd say...depends.

if it's just breaking and repositioning ribs, you *should* be OK getting like, a gunner spot in a tank, or something similar. I mean, it is possible to gut out broken ribs... it's just really, really, not smart. That said, Ask the docs what kind of recuperation time you should be giving yourself after the procedure.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

#14 User is offline   Aussie_bloke 

• Team Section 8
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Aussie_bloke

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

i refereed a tourni last year where a guy had his apendix out the thursday before the two day tourni, flew into town and played the event. he took 1 round to his stomach close to his stitches and tore one or two of the stitches and was in so much pain and i believe later ended up in hospital

i would seriously recommend you consider your health first before attempting to goto this event, mate there is always next year
dont make people a priority, who are only making you an option

#15 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:30 PM

View PostSaltandVinegar, on Jul 10 2007, 12:13 PM, said:

I am getting surgery on my chest sometime. I don't know when, probably next month. But it's supposed to put me in the hospital for three days and keep me at home for three weeks and I won't be able to do much for three months. But if this happens, I'll miss the biggest scenario game in Utah! What do you guys think I can do to convince my mom my chest would be safe if I went after surgery after the three week period?

Surgery huh...sounds like youre gettin a Boob Job, hehehe jk....stay home you bonehead, it'll be a loooooooooong time before you are truly Healed.

And so what if you miss out on a Scenario Game, there are always others and above all that, your Personal Health is far more Important than Paintball.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users