• You cannot reply to this topic

Good Barrel Upgrade for an A5 other than a flatline

#1 User is offline   Redneck Willy 

• Fuzzy aka Redneck Willy
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Fuzzy aka Redneck Willy

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:57 PM

I am trying to get some opinions from experience, what is a good barrel upgrade for an A5 that will give you great accuracy.... And also, up to what distance is this accuracy maintained..... Preferabably if you have done some experimenting of your own I would be greatful for some feedback.... and also what kind of paintballs did you shot through it to get whatever kind of accuracy.... Sound is not that important to me... So a LOUD supper accurate barrel would be fine..... Thanks. RW :ph34r:

#2 User is offline   Redneck Willy 

• Pip

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:59 PM

Also... what length is the best? But is pretty good on air consumption?

:ph34r:

#3 User is offline   Wings 

• A5 Guru
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:38 PM

I am partial to my empire kit. Very tight groupings at mid range. I don't have a number for you since I havn't used it in a few months. After getting my flatline I rarely use anything else.

As for air efficiency you want at least 5-8" effective barrel length to get any decent efficiency. You'll get maximum efficiency at about 14" effective barrel length.

Effective barrel length is the length of your barrel from the breach end to the first step or port. IE a 14" barrel with 6" of porting has an effective length of 8". A two piece barrel with no porting on the back half will have an effective length equal to the length of the back half. Anything beyond 16" and the air propelling the paint has thinned out to the point where it no longer can overcome the friction imposed by the barrel and the ball begins to decelerate. So in order to maintain muzzle velocity additional air must be used thus decreasing your efficiency.
God and the soldier we adore;
In times of danger, not before.
Danger past and all things righted;
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

#4 User is offline   cane$30 

• demolitions expert
  • PipPip

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:38 PM

i have a Dye Ultralite for my A-5 its very accurate i know you said you dont care how loud it is but just to tell you it is kind of loud

about the paint pretty much every paint that ive shot through it seems to have been very accurate

i would suggest to get the Dye Ultralite or a Smart Parts all american

#5 User is offline   VonOrt 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:49 AM

Hammer Head. The best barrel I have ever used.

If you want a lower priced barrel then I would suggest either a J&J or a Lapco Big Shot.

#6 User is offline   SnipaInDenial 

• Frozen Paintballer
  • PipPip

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:24 PM

I quite like my 3a KO barrel, it's only slightly heavyer then the stock barrel and its twice the length. The barrel is very picky about its paint thou, it has to be the right bore, i got some blue streak paint and it had amazing accuracy even in -5C weather with c02. I'd reccomend it
I can snipe....I swear

#7 User is offline   madbanton 

• SOL MEMBER
  • PipPip

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:48 PM

I have a 14" Cp barrel on my A-5. I love it and i t seems to shoot straight!
http://www.paintballheadquarters.net/paint...Barrels_CP.html
Pro Deo Et Patria
Stuff: A-5, 14", double trigger, 91ci 4500 psi HPA...
View My Special Ops Brigade Page
MYSPACE
Sons Of Liberty

#8 User is offline   Redneck Willy 

• Pip

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:34 PM

Hey Wings, What kind of accuracy do you get out of your flatline..... what kind of paint do you use?

Mad Batton... what kinda of grouping do you get... shooting what paint?

The Big Shot any good? What kinda of accuracy and paint?

Thanks RW.....

#9 User is offline   Wings 

• A5 Guru
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:24 PM

At normal ranges with my flatline I get as good or better accuracy than most other barrels i've seen. Again I havn't done any testing to be able to put a number to this. At longer ranges the accuracy decreases, but such is the case with any barrel. I have gotten confirmed eliminations at ranges where i've actually arc'd shots with the flatline. It's not something I even attempt often but sometimes the situation just calls for it.

I generally play on FPO fields because thats all thats around me so i've used all sorts of paint with my flatline. I've found or winter play polar ice works extreemly well. Other than that marbs are the best but i'll use whatever I can get with it. There is a noticable difference in how it shoots from one type of paint to another but once you get used to the barrel its not to hard to correct for, you just have to know that with low quality paint the accuracy and range suffer dramatically.

One thing i've noticed that isn't said very often is that to small of a paint is just as bad as to big. The flatline takes medium to small bore paint but I've had paint that I could barely get the velocity up enough because of how small it was. Managed to get to the 270 I like to shoot at but it took some tweaking to do. The next day I had a slightly larger paint and my velocity jumped to over 320 with no other changes. Its a picky barrel but learn to use it and you'll never want to use anything else.
God and the soldier we adore;
In times of danger, not before.
Danger past and all things righted;
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users