• You cannot reply to this topic

This Sucks Hard Drive Crash Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:14 PM

My hard drive randomly crashed today. The computer still kinda works and can at least run internet. But that's it. Diagnostics says 33% is unreadable. Searching through windows exploror shows entire hd empty. This totally and completely sucks.

I have an external hd... I'm wondering if I can use that as a HD and restore the system to it until I can get a replacement. Either way this is going to be a huge pain in the ass.

I'm very dissapointed in that while a replacement 500GB Hard Disk Drive is available for as low as $50 I can't find ANY of the much more relaible and probably faster Solid State Drives that are any bigger than a couple hundred GB and those cost hundreds of dollars.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

ST drives are really good, but maybe ahead of there time.

I would HIGHLY resomend getting a HD and backing up everything first !!!

Then I would look around for good HD's to get. Spend the money and do your homework on them. Hears a computer place that has GREAT parts and details on parts.http://www.newegg.com/

It sounds like your HD is just dieing. Not uncommon. Just get a new one, and spend the money in a good model. Yah its kinda pricy, but its your computer.

#3 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:41 AM

Thanks for the addvice!

The worst part of it all is that I've got a friggin 2tb external drive right here next to my pc, I could have had a backup all along. I could probably even boot off the back up on the external until I got a replacement.

EPIC FAIL
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Zz Loth zZ 

• Wellst Obviously We Have a Rapist
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ZZLOTHZZ

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:40 AM

You should be able to still back up the 30% that is readable to an external drive. After you do that, you should erase all of your harddrive and see you can reinstall windows (or linux, whatever os you prefer) onto it. It may be possible to still salvage it. I know that I had an external harddrive that something simular happened to about 6 months ago. It was screwed up and couldn't be read, but I just erased and reformatted it as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive, and it worked fine (I think that MS DOS (FAT), is what you would use for windows.

I'm very dissapointed in that while a replacement 500GB Hard Disk Drive is available for as low as $50 I can't find ANY of the much more relaible and probably faster Solid State Drives that are any bigger than a couple hundred GB and those cost hundreds of dollars.

You are not going to find a cheap solid state drive, but you don't really need one anyway. If you are wanting a small netbook that you are going to travel with, then solid state is great, otherwise a traditional harddrive should suffice. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely lots of advantages to SSD (to name a few: performance, chance of failure, expected lifetime, etc), but I don't see if paying off for the price (especially if you want a drive that's bigger than say 150 GB). SSD is here to stay, and it is slowly taking over the HardDrive market, but it hasn't quite became king yet.

#5 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

View PostZz Loth zZ, on 27 May 2011 - 06:40 AM, said:

You should be able to still back up the 30% that is readable to an external drive. After you do that, you should erase all of your harddrive and see you can reinstall windows (or linux, whatever os you prefer) onto it. It may be possible to still salvage it. I know that I had an external harddrive that something simular happened to about 6 months ago. It was screwed up and couldn't be read, but I just erased and reformatted it as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive, and it worked fine (I think that MS DOS (FAT), is what you would use for windows.

You are not going to find a cheap solid state drive, but you don't really need one anyway. If you are wanting a small netbook that you are going to travel with, then solid state is great, otherwise a traditional harddrive should suffice. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely lots of advantages to SSD (to name a few: performance, chance of failure, expected lifetime, etc), but I don't see if paying off for the price (especially if you want a drive that's bigger than say 150 GB). SSD is here to stay, and it is slowly taking over the HardDrive market, but it hasn't quite became king yet.

Thanks Loth

It is a laptop, but I can't shell out that kinda cash for the SSD. Ugh... lost soooo much data... video game saves... BLARRRRRGH!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users