• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Well So Sorry. Rate Topic: -----

#31 Guest_SWATORNOT_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:24 AM

I can see where you are coming from man, but it really falls on the shoulders of the experienced paintball snipers to educate the new players/snipers as to what exactly a paintball sniper is and does.

True a lot of companies target new players with the "sniper" gimmic, but they make a living off of it at the same time. I would do the same thing, but I assure you I would not be comfortable with my integrity or able to sleep at night by doing such a thing...

Those of us here "generally" know what a paintball sniper is, and what the paintball sniper is not. As long as we know that and share that information with new players, we can turn them onto the right track and make a reputation (hopefully) for the paintball sniper label... but that is pretty far off as we all know...

SWATORNOT :ph34r:

#32 User is offline   Bonded Brothers 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Longfellow

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:01 AM

View PostSoldier9243, on Mar 15 2006, 10:55 AM, said:

Via everytime I talk to a beginning player in the first conversation of paintball he asks: "How can I be a sniper and what gun shoots far like a sniper gun?"

Just wondering why we mislead with the names we adopt. Please dont confuse this with saying there is not such a position on the field. There is and someone has to do it. If you like to be stealth like and be a forward observer for your team, or conduct a quick clean one shot one kill ambush against mulitple foe. This position might be for you. I just refuse to call it sniping.

The traditional definition of a sniper is an infantry soldier especially skilled in field craft and marksmanship, who kills selected enemies from concealment with a rifle at long distances. Typically and ideally, a proficient sniper approaches an enemy undetected, uses a single bullet per target, and withdraws without being seen. The word originates from the snipe, a game bird known for being difficult for hunters to sneak up on.

This is from the Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"In the last few decades the term 'sniper' has been used rather loosely, especially by media in association with police precision riflemen, those responsible for assassination, any shooting from all but the shortest range in war and any criminal equipped with a rifle in a civil context. This has rather expanded the general understanding of the meaning of the term. It has also given the term 'sniper' distinctly pejorative connotations. This explains the increasing use of alternative terms, especially for police snipers such as counter-sniper, precision marksman, tactical marksman, sharpshooter and precision shooter".

So maybe tactical marksman would be more accurate? I think it sounds nice and impressive enough.

One, is it misleading to call a player a medic in Scenario because he brings the player back into the game and not back to life? No, you are trying to say that all noobs are drawn in by this which is wrong. You are just selecting a small group of YOUNG players who do not understand physics or the rules of the game and saying they are the "New" people. There are othe "newbs" that understand these things and do not make that mistake because they have experience, not in paintball, but in logic and comprehension. No matter where you go you will have to deal with your type of player but that does not mean that is the only kind of begginer out there. Two, you are another person who continues to try to change OUR name by remaking the definition so it fits what YOU think it is. Three, you don't even have the RIGHT definition. If you would like to look it up it is defined as "One who shoots at other people from a concealed place". You would do well to read the link at the end of my post. Four, it doesn't matter what it SOUNDS like, it's what we ARE. Just because you continue to hold on to your pervaded and distorted definition and beliefs after hard facts are presented before you doesn't mean any of us would start calling ourselves something different, even if special ops decided to change the term. I would still, and always be, a Sniper.

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...showtopic=43944

Pillitiere
Recon Sniper (Not "Tactical Marksman")

This post has been edited by Bonded Brothers: 23 March 2006 - 09:03 AM

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users