Special Ops Paintball: Crakle Paint - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Crakle Paint anyone seen it? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Aych 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 92
  • Joined: 11-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Flake, MN
  • Brigade Name:Aych

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:23 PM

awhile ago my little bro picked up this crackle paint to paint his tool box he made in school and for a shift knob, it looks pretty neat. Think it would look good on a paintball gun? what do think about it? Edit: say i want to paint a 360 controler how should i do it?
Attached File  asdfvasd.JPG (77.01K)
Number of downloads: 52
Attached File  dfsghfgh.JPG (32.47K)
Number of downloads: 34

This post has been edited by Aych: 02 July 2008 - 02:29 PM


#2 User is offline   JoeJev 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 27-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:CT
  • Brigade Name:JoeJev

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

that stuff looks pretty cool, was the varnish/clear finish part of the paint? I think it might look cool.

#3 User is offline   Infamous_51 

  • official rock and roll clown
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 579
  • Joined: 15-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:place you neva heard of, minnesota

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:58 PM

You gotta take apart the face part of the controller and paint it theres a article on how to paint your controller on OXMonline.com they don't spraypaint it but it gives you the prepping idea.

(Go sig yourself) Maybe I will...Maybe I will..........-Epic_fail

#4 User is offline   Aaron723 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:McMinnville, TN
  • Brigade Name:Aaron723

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:26 PM

what you are basicly looking for is a hammered finish. Rust Oleum has a paint out that gives what ever you paint with it that look.
Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum. If you want peace prepare for war.
If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!

#5 User is offline   Pyrate Jim 

  • Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 601
  • Joined: 18-February 05
  • Location:the group W bench

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:20 PM

It's a two-step process. You have to put a fast drying layer on top of a slow drying layer.

The top layer dries hard and becomes brittle. As the layer underneath slowly dries, it shrinks causing the upper layer to "crack" and pull apart. Changing the thickness or drying time of the layers can change the amount of cracking and size of the pieces.
In woodworking (my career) we traditionally use horse-hide glue underneath and alcohol based lacquer on top.
If I were using it on plastic, I would use an epoxy primer first to ensure adhesion.

A crackle is different from a wrinkle finish, which is sometimes seen on paintball markers and requires heating, and that "hammered" look is usually zinc flake in a clear urea resin lacquer.

It's a little bit chemistry, a little bit art, some luck, and a lot of experience.
Just try it on something before you go ahead with it. It's not that tough and I think they even sell kits with the stuff you need.

This post has been edited by Pyrate Jim: 22 July 2008 - 04:29 PM

CT co-ordinator, Paintball Marshals
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users