Special Ops Paintball: looking to start a team - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

looking to start a team just need some guidance Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Visagoth 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 14-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MN
  • Brigade Name:King Alaric

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:09 PM

I going to be starting a team in the next few months. It will be a woodsball team with 5-6 recruits mostly newbies my self included
any input is great.
0

#2 User is offline   Saifoda2 

  • Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 462
  • Joined: 05-January 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tustin, California
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:45 AM

Hey Visagoth,

First of all, welcome to the forums and good job on seeking advice, especially from the Commander section -- you will find better advice here than most other sections. Having said that, there are some basic rules about this section in particular, but in the forum in general. First rule we'll go over is this: No "I need some general advice" threads. Unless you have a specific question, or are posting an "article" (see "Gramps"), please feel free to browse around the different threads, ask questions in them, and maybe you'll form some more specific questions. Second rule (and this is related to the first one). Give as much information as appropriate and pertinent to your question. For example, in your question you might want to include how old you are, how old your teammates will be, where you live, if you have a local field or not, your previous experience and leadership experience. Props to you for admitting you're a noob though :-D.

Now to your specific question (I feel like being generous tonight -- don't read too much into this guys :-D):

My advice to you right now is to review every article in this section, in every other position section (except maybe Hammer), in your local Brigade area (Northwest, Southeast, Great Lakes, etc...), and in particular pay attention to the stickied threads, especially the ones in this section by Gramps. Some of these things will be a bit advanced for your team, but if you do not have a vision for where you want your team to be in 1, 3, 5, 10 years from now and where you will be as a leader then your team will not go anywhere on it's own. Many teams like this will break apart because they (or at least their Commander) did not have a vision for the team.

My next advice would be to pick up books on Leadership, 2 books in particular I would like to recommend:

Challenge of Command by Roger (or is it Robert?) H. Nye
Small Unit Leadership by Dan Malone

Both can be found on Amazon.com

My next bit of advice -- go out and play, get as much experience as possible, because you cannot be a leader of anybody if you have not already done or will not do anything you ask them to do, nor will you have their respect. In paintball in particular, players follow other players that have courage and confidence and you can only gain those two by being profficient, knowledgable, and have a lot of experience under your belt.



EDIT: Please note, other forum sections may have a lot of spelling like this:

HEY NOOBIZORS WHATSup I am teh best at everhthing evur wut do u thnk ofmy skillzors?

Please -- the written word is the only form of communication you have between you, me, Platinum, Haon, Ace, pdxp8ntballer, or anybody else on this forum; do not misstype or have grammatical errors if possible -- be polite and be professional. The rest of the forums may be that way (see above), but as Commanders we are leaders in the paintball world and it is important for us to be professional. Why should others view us as professionals if we cannot talk amongst ourselves in a professional manner (in an open forum I might add).

Good job on NOT sounding like the above phrase, which is an embarassment to the English language and looks more like a skidmark from the kid who typed it than an attempt at communicating anything close to a clear and concise thought from one person to another.

Hope I got that point across -- but I would like to say that you have done a good job of not writing like that.

This post has been edited by Saifoda2: 03 August 2007 - 12:55 AM

Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

0

#3 User is offline   Snipa Hound 

  • Explosive Ordinance Specialist
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 92
  • Joined: 03-June 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maple Valley
  • Brigade Name:"INVISIBLE"

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:59 AM

well, It will be hard to find DEDICATED players for your team I.E. boby from down the street who only wants to play in Major games, and thinks hes to good fof practice, or mike who really wants to play, and is good but has other obligations like school or work.


Check out this page on my web site, it explains how we have or " core" player( main 6 guys) and our reserve.:LOOK AT THIS PAGE

This post has been edited by Snipa Hound: 03 August 2007 - 02:00 AM





0

#4 User is offline   Snipa Hound 

  • Explosive Ordinance Specialist
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 92
  • Joined: 03-June 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maple Valley
  • Brigade Name:"INVISIBLE"

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:04 AM

Heres a somthing I posted in another topic but it might help you with starting you new team.

Well, thatís ^^his^^ opinion, but military tactics DO work, And to be a successful TEAM you need to practice, know each others skills, styles, attitudes.

Like he said, the field is always changing, and with that knowledge you need to practice as many different team attack styles as you can stand, in one day.
For example if youíre playing on a field that has bunkers and, or buildings. You NEED to know how to fight in close combat,

-how to clear a room

-how to move as a team, without putting someone in a "fatal funnel" or line of fire.

-know how to communicate quietly, because your targets will be able to hear if you are loud, or talking so learn some hand signals. (PM me if you need some visuals or pint outs I can e-mail them to you.)

- If you have radios, learn the proper radio educate, like phonetic codes, and get call signs going, and make sure you let them know that if they say something always agnolage them because 9 out of 10 time if the person dose not agnolage you it is because they A didn't hear you, or B are under fire, and/or returning fire at that moment so you may need to" repeat your last", and if they did hear you they will respond with Received, copy that, or roger, or bunny fluff if thatís what you guys decided to say.

And donít use up air space on useless jabber, because only one person can talk at a time, so if your
jabbing away talking about, Becky look at her butt, and can you believe that rude guy last night, along with the price of tea in china. The guy who REALLY REALLY NEEDS HELP, and is about to die, canít ask for assistance because youíre chatting away, so make sure you ONLY use it for current situation use.

-know how to "pie" a corner, or move around corners, or into rooms. *If you need more info on the let me know.*

-learn how to walk down hallways as a team, and learn all the formations to move in I.E. Diamond, Wedge, 3man back...

These same rules apply on field to, only they just get bigger, like instead of moving in a clumped up diamond formation you spread out and make a big one, be aware that when you reach the field you need to rearrange your men so you have the right guns in the right places.

- practice cover fire

- leap frog assaults

- practice getting ambushed, and then setting up a base of fire, while sending flankers to pick up new angles on you target.

- AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST!!

If you ever get in the situation where you are bogged down, and you are doing nothing more that trading paint, ASK FOR HELP! TALK! COMMUNICATE! FIGURE OUT A NEW APROCH!!!! If your in that spot, get some cover fire so you can move, drop back regroup, and pick up a new angle on the target....

If not, and you just sit there, you will be stuck while THEY are moving around getting a new angle on you until the can get a clear shot and take you out. This will help you out a bunch of times, because most of you targets will not want to advance on a bunkered position, they will just hunker down and trade shots till one person gets hit, and if you do this, you will have the upper hand, and gain the win, and the KEEP you man power without losing one.


If any one needs anymore advice, or questions about anything I mentioned feel free to ask.


Thanks: Commander of Team Fenrispack Tactical Paintball Team...Team web site !!!!( still under construction, but up and runing.)




0

#5 User is offline   Ace-014 

  • Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 537
  • Joined: 21-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dam Neck, Virginia
  • Brigade Name:Ace-014

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

View PostSaifoda2, on Aug 3 2007, 01:45 AM, said:

Hey Visagoth,

First of all, welcome to the forums and good job on seeking advice, especially from the Commander section -- you will find better advice here than most other sections. Having said that, there are some basic rules about this section in particular, but in the forum in general. First rule we'll go over is this: No "I need some general advice" threads. Unless you have a specific question, or are posting an "article" (see "Gramps"), please feel free to browse around the different threads, ask questions in them, and maybe you'll form some more specific questions. Second rule (and this is related to the first one). Give as much information as appropriate and pertinent to your question. For example, in your question you might want to include how old you are, how old your teammates will be, where you live, if you have a local field or not, your previous experience and leadership experience. Props to you for admitting you're a noob though :-D.

Now to your specific question (I feel like being generous tonight -- don't read too much into this guys :-D):

My advice to you right now is to review every article in this section, in every other position section (except maybe Hammer), in your local Brigade area (Northwest, Southeast, Great Lakes, etc...), and in particular pay attention to the stickied threads, especially the ones in this section by Gramps. Some of these things will be a bit advanced for your team, but if you do not have a vision for where you want your team to be in 1, 3, 5, 10 years from now and where you will be as a leader then your team will not go anywhere on it's own. Many teams like this will break apart because they (or at least their Commander) did not have a vision for the team.

My next advice would be to pick up books on Leadership, 2 books in particular I would like to recommend:

Challenge of Command by Roger (or is it Robert?) H. Nye
Small Unit Leadership by Dan Malone

Both can be found on Amazon.com

My next bit of advice -- go out and play, get as much experience as possible, because you cannot be a leader of anybody if you have not already done or will not do anything you ask them to do, nor will you have their respect. In paintball in particular, players follow other players that have courage and confidence and you can only gain those two by being profficient, knowledgable, and have a lot of experience under your belt.



EDIT: Please note, other forum sections may have a lot of spelling like this:

HEY NOOBIZORS WHATSup I am teh best at everhthing evur wut do u thnk ofmy skillzors?

Please -- the written word is the only form of communication you have between you, me, Platinum, Haon, Ace, pdxp8ntballer, or anybody else on this forum; do not misstype or have grammatical errors if possible -- be polite and be professional. The rest of the forums may be that way (see above), but as Commanders we are leaders in the paintball world and it is important for us to be professional. Why should others view us as professionals if we cannot talk amongst ourselves in a professional manner (in an open forum I might add).

Good job on NOT sounding like the above phrase, which is an embarassment to the English language and looks more like a skidmark from the kid who typed it than an attempt at communicating anything close to a clear and concise thought from one person to another.

Hope I got that point across -- but I would like to say that you have done a good job of not writing like that.

You mentioned me, I feel special now.
Remember flanking drills. Flanking is one of the most effective moves and isn't really that hard to do so remeber to practice that.
Official SpecOps FC
0

#6 Guest_Oynx_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

be shure to show everyone that ur giving the orders and not them because there have been several posts were commanders are being pushed over because johnnys too cocky and wont listen because he wants to play sniper when he is more of a dagger. oh and read specops cammander article it really helps new commanders and u should also learn as much as u can on all other positions so u can fit people accordingly.
0

#7 User is offline   Saifoda2 

  • Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 462
  • Joined: 05-January 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tustin, California
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

View PostOynx, on Aug 3 2007, 05:01 PM, said:

be shure to show everyone that ur giving the orders and not them because there have been several posts were commanders are being pushed over because johnnys too cocky and wont listen because he wants to play sniper when he is more of a dagger. oh and read specops cammander article it really helps new commanders and u should also learn as much as u can on all other positions so u can fit people accordingly.



Ah, this old thing again.


Yes absolutely -- some players do not want to be team players and just want to do their own thing, and yes the specops articles on being a Commander are very good, and you absolutely positively must know about every position and how to play every position. But about the first thing -- showing everyone that you're giving the orders and not them.

This is a touchy issue. The thing about paintball is, well, it's paintball!!! This is not the Military, no matter how cool the Army looks in our uniforms or loud Marines can be, this is NOT the military. We are not training to fight wars -- we are playing paintball. Playing. That's the key word there. In order to get your players to follow your orders, they must be willing to do this on their own. Teach them, coach them, and by all means be a leader, but remember exactly what is happening -- people are coming out to play a game and they have to pay money for it, even if they are serious. Just remember that.

Also know that I'm not saying "be a softy and let everybody make their own decisions." That is not what I am saying -- that will destroy your team as fast as you would do it by bossing everybody around. You are the Commander and you do ultimately make the executive decisions about the team. You are in charge. Take charge of the team. The Military's definition of leadership (approximately) is

Leadership is influencing peopleóby providing purpose, direction, and motivationówhile operating to accomplish the mission and improving the organization.

Notice the word "providing." That is more or less what you do, you provide for the team -- you provide them with purpose, direction, and motivation; this does not always mean that you're providing them with orders and mandates.

The Army's definition of Leadership (above) is, in my opinion, the best form of leadership a Commander can give his team. You can check out more stuff on leadership with the following link (the Army's FM on leadership):
https://atiam.train.army.mil/soldierPortal/...100/ch1.htm#1-4



A good read -- I highly recommend it.
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

0

#8 User is offline   Maverick_07 

  • Go on....make my lunch...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 885
  • Joined: 25-March 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Green, Ohio
  • Brigade Name:haon_07

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:25 PM

My advice is to make sure that only a few people on the team are your close friends. The rest should just be guys you play with and occaisionally hang with. You want a team, not a club. Clubs suck, they start out good and pretty soon everybody's pining to be the big man, then the rips start flying and sides are chosen and the whole thing goes to crap! Trust me, make it a team, NOT a club. That being said, welcome to the forums Commander in the making. I'm Haon.

If you ever want to know how to set up an effective defense just call me! :ghillie:
My signature is......................SIGNATURE!
0

#9 User is offline   prophet_subgenius 

  • Colonel, Team Slack Attack
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 539
  • Joined: 20-April 06
  • Location:Susanville, CA
  • Brigade Name:prophet_subgenius

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

First thank you Saifoda for the professionalism point. I'm certainly a guilty party when it comes to typo's and spelling errors, I appologise.


Before you work out your tactics make sure you know your team. Rarely are paintball teams cookie cutter jobs where you get a perfect mix of player styles. ie a six man team made up of 1 commander, 1 Heavy Rifleman, 2 Medium Riflemen, and 2 Light Riflemen. About 2 and a half years ago I had a team that was myself as commander one sniper/ light rifleman and the other four were heavies. You can't run the same tactics as if you were 1 Medium and 5 Lights.

Next I also can suggest another book. It's titled "The One Minuet Manager" It is great book for working with people.
Paintball is a game. Win or lose you still need to wash your camo. Winners just use less soap.
0

#10 User is offline   Maverick_07 

  • Go on....make my lunch...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 885
  • Joined: 25-March 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Green, Ohio
  • Brigade Name:haon_07

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

View Postprophet_subgenius, on Aug 5 2007, 11:50 AM, said:

First thank you Saifoda for the professionalism point. I'm certainly a guilty party when it comes to typo's and spelling errors, I appologise.


Before you work out your tactics make sure you know your team. Rarely are paintball teams cookie cutter jobs where you get a perfect mix of player styles. ie a six man team made up of 1 commander, 1 Heavy Rifleman, 2 Medium Riflemen, and 2 Light Riflemen. About 2 and a half years ago I had a team that was myself as commander one sniper/ light rifleman and the other four were heavies. You can't run the same tactics as if you were 1 Medium and 5 Lights.

Next I also can suggest another book. It's titled "The One Minuet Manager" It is great book for working with people.


May add to this? I would just like to say from personal experience that trying to assigne jobs, or positions right off the bat is bad. If you take a whole bunch of players and make them play the same way every game they tend to get bored and quit the team. My advice is to assign jobs during actual games and then rework them alittle at each practice. Certain players or all of your players may want to mix it up a little, let them, it keeps them interested. This is the reason like 5 of our people split on us this year. They got bored, needless to say the Captain has learned his lesson, as have I. :dodgy:
My signature is......................SIGNATURE!
0

#11 User is offline   prophet_subgenius 

  • Colonel, Team Slack Attack
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 539
  • Joined: 20-April 06
  • Location:Susanville, CA
  • Brigade Name:prophet_subgenius

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:10 PM

Haon is right. To expand upon his point, switching people around also developes great versatility. In special ops terms It developes master Sabers. A master saber isn't just the guy that can play any position. He has a feeling for what is going on in the game. He knows what needs to be done before the commander tells him. He knows all this and how to pull it off because he has been there and done that.
Paintball is a game. Win or lose you still need to wash your camo. Winners just use less soap.
0

#12 User is offline   Saifoda2 

  • Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 462
  • Joined: 05-January 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tustin, California
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:21 PM

All is forgiven Prophet -- I probably make as many mistakes as you do.

Anything to add Visagoth? How's the team coming along?
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

0

#13 User is offline   Visagoth 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 14-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MN
  • Brigade Name:King Alaric

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

I've been trying a Schedule a game with some hopefuls on sunday but it will be a while be for any real progress.
0

#14 User is offline   Maverick_07 

  • Go on....make my lunch...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 885
  • Joined: 25-March 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Green, Ohio
  • Brigade Name:haon_07

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

View PostVisagoth, on Aug 6 2007, 02:43 PM, said:

I've been trying a Schedule a game with some hopefuls on sunday but it will be a while be for any real progress.


Ah! A practice! I would suggest you rate peole on their performances through a scoring system. Don't just pick everybody right off the bat. Make sure they won't do something like go behind your back and try to make the team "theirs". Those people are just in it for themselves. :rolleyes:
My signature is......................SIGNATURE!
0

#15 User is offline   Saifoda2 

  • Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 462
  • Joined: 05-January 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tustin, California
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

Just remember that YOU set the pace at the practice -- you will have to judge character yourself and put the team together on your own terms. Remember that the attitude you bring will be reflective of the players that attend -- that has probably already started. Just remember that YOU attract certain types of players with, well, everything you do.

What sort of vision do you have for your team? What is your long term goal for the team? What is your goal for yourself? Is there anything special you want to do with this team that isn't the "standard operating procedure?" Please feel free to write as much as you want -- the better the content you give us the better answers we can give you.
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

0

Share this topic:


  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users