• You cannot reply to this topic

Help with choosing a new gun. Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

haha, I knew that was coming... i was gonna start a new thread taking bets on when... but now that it has, I must agree... Get you a great mask... if you have $200-$250, spend about $100 on the mask... Go try a few on, but I prefer the Vforce Profiler... As for gun, as stated earlier, I'm a tippmann man.

#17 User is offline   Locknpump 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

The only issue with tippmanns is the amount of available mods, you will blow a ton of money on useless cosmetic upgrades without realizing it when you go to sell it and its still only worht like 300$ at most.

In other words look for a marker that you love straight out of the box without wanting a bunch of other crap on it :P

#18 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

thats very strange that you don't like centerfeed. Hmmmm.
any reason why? center feed markers are more balanced through left and right shooting not to mention support loaders much better.
your odd.

I'd suggest a used marker if possible. you may be able to pick up SP-1's with the offset feed neck. Classic valved Automags or ones with the RT valve. ( they will have left and right powerfeeds) or a used BT package. BT markers are fantastically simple to tech, well.. same with tippmann's but with the BT its nice to be able to remove the grip frame if need be, helps trouble shoot.

#19 User is offline   syndicate444 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

I will second Eskimo, go used. One of the best ways to find a decent setup for cheap is craigslist. I picked up my A5 off CL for $300, and included: Flatline barrel, 20" barrel, squishy paddles, HPA tank, extra CO2 tank, remote line, vest/pods, VForce mask, gloves, plus all the stuff that originally came with the marker. All from a guy that bought the stuff and used it less than 5 times, and then stored it.

#20 User is offline   redthirst 

• AVOID THE NOID!
  • PipPip
  • Location:The South <-- this used to be more specific... but then somebody snitched on me.
  • Brigade Name:WrightPower

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:42 AM

If you don't like centerfeed, that really limits your options. My suggestion would be to get a GOG G1. It's fairly inexpensive, should be reliable since it's based off of the SP1, can be run on CO2 or HPA, and has an adjustable feedneck to switch between left, right, and center feed. It also looks really cool.
Masters of awesome whom I don't BOINK with: Montresor, long_baller, JerseyPaint, Deschaine, brokepballer, Frontier Bill, Bookworm, TREE FITTY (he's a zombie), THIS COULD BE YOU!

#21 User is offline   Omega_Assassin 

• Omega425
  • Pip

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

Sorry its beens so long since i last replied. Been busy with school and honestly just kinda forgot about this lol. I might not mind a centerfeed that bad on a different gun but on the VL Triton II it just seems like the hopper sits very high and is kinda unwieldy at times. Also wanted to ask you guys what you thought of a price. I got a friend that is willing to sell me his like new A5 with a factory e-grip for $200. Ive looked it over and it only has a little paint coming off below the front site. Other than that it looks in great shape.
Thanks for the help.

#22 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:42 AM

Just so you know, Tippmann stuff generally drops to like HALF original purchase price (not including shipping) after it's used... I can understand paying a little more for a friend but I'm sure you could find a better deal pretty quickly.

#23 User is offline   Spitfire151 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

If it falls through, I've got an A5 kit for sale over on the BST.
SpecOps Feedback
SpecOps Products owned: Scout Vest; Two Custom Vests; Collapsable Pod Loader; Allied and Axis Bandanas; Remote Line and Hopper covers.
Reviews: Spec Ops Custom Vest
Mods: Minor Mask Mod

#24 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:47 PM

A beat to snot A-5 w/ e-grip would be in the $100-120 range maybe (I've seen one go for as little as $80), a like new one shouldn't be more than $150. Unfortunately (for the newer owners), the beater will likely perform just as well as the newer. Like c mentioned, Tippmann stuff (& many other markers) lose close to half their value, even as quickly as less than a year after new, that's just how the market is. I know he's your friend, but that's way too high - I know he probably just spent $260, but there are soooooo many A-5's out there that you can always find a good deal.

Honestly: for $200 you can find a considerably better marker than an e-gripped A-5. Heck, I've seen Automag RT's & PM7's for around $200 - put a nice forcefeed hopper like a nice used Halo on them for under $40 & either will consistently outperform the A-5. Of course, they can't be made to look like an M-4 assault rifle :laugh:... it's all about personal preference.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#25 User is offline   BT-4 Sniper 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

I would go with a BT4. They are EXTREMELY adaptable and well under the price of any Tipmann. Anything that fits a 98 Custom will fit a BT. Also, a BT-4 with E trigger bought separately would be around 190, but E triggers blow through a lot of paint, plus you need a feed system for it. The basic BT has an offset hopper, A5 threads, rails, and a short barrel that isn't that great. They are also fairly quiet compared to the VL Triton II.
BT-4 Combat: The gun to own all guns. The most versatile paintball gun ever made.

#26 User is offline   BT-4 Sniper 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

View PostEskimo, on 28 February 2011 - 09:33 PM, said:

thats very strange that you don't like centerfeed. Hmmmm.
any reason why? center feed markers are more balanced through left and right shooting not to mention support loaders much better.
your odd.

I'd suggest a used marker if possible. you may be able to pick up SP-1's with the offset feed neck. Classic valved Automags or ones with the RT valve. ( they will have left and right powerfeeds) or a used BT package. BT markers are fantastically simple to tech, well.. same with tippmann's but with the BT its nice to be able to remove the grip frame if need be, helps trouble shoot.

Centerfeed makes it so you can't aim very well, and the hopper sticks up higher. I have used both and don't notice a real difference in balance.

This post has been edited by BT-4 Sniper: 28 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

BT-4 Combat: The gun to own all guns. The most versatile paintball gun ever made.

#27 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:28 PM

View PostBenaiah, on 23 February 2011 - 06:32 PM, said:

Go with a TM-Series or the G-1. A blowback will always be a blowback. Getting an electro will do you much more good in the long run.

I totally disagree with your assertion. Of all the valid arguments you could make for electros, this is not among them. In fact, this issue has been widely debated on this forum (and I am sure many others) for years. In fact, the variety of posts in this thread alone attests to that fact.

I, myself, have used blowbacks for years, and in my "long run" they have served me well. My Spyder Compact 2000 has zero breakdowns and very little needed maintenance. Many others have frowned on it because it is a blowback and "inferior", but it plays very nicely for me.

Electros certainly out perform blowbacks in many categories. No doubt. However, having read MANY posts about them, they are also complicated. Simpler in some ways, I know, but overall more complicated. I base this solely on the fact that when the experts discuss them, they talk about all these adjustments that just blow my mind. I'm sure it would be easier to understand if I had my own, but I don't. In these threads, beginners are RARELY encouraged to buy an electro. Usually the recommendation for the guys who come here fresh from their first game is.....Yup.....blowback. Another testament to electro complexity.

Is an electro's complexity bad? Not necessarily. I'm not saying that. But it is a factor to consider when purchasing a marker. BOTH types have pros and cons. I've learned that from all of you here on this forum. Go back to that megapost with all the questions and notice how complicated it is. It is a SURVEY. There are many possible considerations to make when purchasing a marker. Or investing hundreds of dollars into ANYTHING.

Help this guy think of the right questions to ask, guide him in his research, give him your honest opinion, and by doing so help him make a good choice for HIM. THAT will do him much more good in the long run.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#28 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:35 PM

View PostBT-4 Sniper, on 28 April 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

Centerfeed makes it so you can't aim very well, and the hopper sticks up higher. I have used both and don't notice a real difference in balance.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Im going to let you into a paintball tip: Say Whut?
;)

Centerfeed makes it easier to aim, especially when it comes down to being able to play both left and right sides of a bunker, its more balanced. its much much more stable being directly above the support. (that being the marker) and not to mention they can have a low profile. and if you want smaller. use a smaller hopper. Want even smaller? use a 10 round stick feed.
Want EVEN smaller? hand load the paintballs.

dont get me wrong, I have my tippy 98 and I'll play with the offset feedneck.
But by all means unless you ABSOLUTLY hate center feed. and do so with logical and though out opinions. no reason not to use one.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 02 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

#29 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:45 PM

I had a hard time aiming with my Mag the first time...but that's cause I got so used to my Tippmann and then a SC Phantom. Was weird having something sticking up in my line of sight...but you just keep both eyes open and you essentially see "through" it.

BTW Esk, same picture twice! :rolleyes:

#30 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:47 PM

View PostBT-4 Sniper, on 28 April 2011 - 03:55 PM, said:

Learn to tilt the marker according to what side of the bunker you are playing. If you are playing on the right side, tilt the marker at a 45* angle so the hopper is towards teh left, hidden behind the bunker. Then you can aim right down the barrel. Do the opposite for playing the left side. Center feed really is the way to go. I know most people are used to shooting offset tippys at first, but once you use center feed a few times you will quickly learn it is the best. And it feeds better then angled.

As to higher, not really. Get a low feedneck. The good thing about centerfed markers are 90% of them you can change out the feednecks. Make it tall for a back player so more balls are at ready, make it low for a front player to lower the profile. There are tons of choices and options for this, from many companies.

View PostEskimo, on 29 April 2011 - 12:35 AM, said:

Posted Image

i LOVE that Viking. XD SO gorgeous...miss my Excalibur. :(
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users