Special Ops Paintball: Is reffing a satisfying hobby for the older paintballer? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is reffing a satisfying hobby for the older paintballer? well, not THAT old... Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:06 AM

I ref some games my team puts on, as well as some local scenarios. I find it highly rewarding, and couldn't care less if I got paid or not.

What makes it all worth it, is at the end of the day, somebody comes up and say "Thanks for all your hard work and great reffing. It made the game more fun."

End Transmission.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#17 User is offline   adrenaLine 

• Team adrenaLine
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:adrenaLine a.k.a godSend

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:08 AM

I am definately not an older paintballer, but I still enjoy reffing sometimes. Usually when I do, it's just a trade-off with whoever else is there, not the whole day. Just a few rounds, for one group, then someone else takes the next group. I usually ref. for the older guys, that are in a group, they don't seem to mind. I've only had one argument, and that was a guy who insisted he didnt get hit, when I watch him rub it off on the bunker. But..the field manager came to my rescue. You being older might get annoyed with younger kids that play and cheat, if you get a whole load of em'. But yea, I would say it is an excellent hobby, because it is still paintball-affiliated.
Team Adrenaline

PM for sniper assistance.
Dagger/Commander- Telling the team what to do, then showing them how it's done.

#18 User is offline   SirRod 

• God Made Paintball for Me!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Harry Rod

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:05 AM

Hey everyone:
I have been playing for 21 years started at Sneeds Island in Palmetto, Fl. at Island Adventure Paintball.

I have been a Ref/Judge for all that time as well as a player.

Im now 53 years old, and would not mind helping out at a field were no money is changing hands.

But if its a Pay for Play then I want to be paid for my services.

I reciently was asked to Ref a major end of the year scenreio game, where the proceeds from that game would total over $150,000.00 profit.

I am a NPPL PRO REF. thats National Profesional Paintball League Profesional Refarees Orginazation.

Im Profesional at what I do, and expect to be paid for that Experance and Expertice I bring to this event.

Well they only wanted to pay me $50.00 a day and $10.00 for meals, so thats $60.00 per day for 2 days total of $120.00. I live 3 hours away and Gas would cost me at the least $60.00 for the round trip.

Now as much as I love Paintball and the event promoters I had to turn them down at that price. Ive known them for almost as long as Ive been playing and have attended and Refed there events many times.

Just a little back ground I have been on the only 2 time Fla. State Championchip 10 man team. I have been a Ref at major Tournaments and Scenerios, I can work on almost any marker made, Fill your Co2 tanks and am a Nurse, with many years of experance with first aid.

I will not work for Major Paintball Scenerio promoters for less than $100.00 a day nor for NPPL or PSP or any other Promoters for less than that. And thats still Cheep!

Being a Ref is HARD WORK, and If your doing it for a non profit field for free thats ok, I love nurturing new players and hate anyone calling them NEWBEES. Thats a darogatory name I feel.

If your doing it for a Major Promotor for free or for play time your only hurting the rest of us who would make a small amount of money for our services.

I love being a Ref and I love paintball, I feel God our Heavenly Father gave paintball for my enjoyment, as well as all the rest of you and being a good influance for new and older players is a must.

Being a Ref is tough because of all the degenerate's who play and cuss and cheat, bend the rules, steel other players stuff,and cause Discord with the flow of games being hot heads.

Reffs Get Paid for your services! you have earned the right to be a Ref and you should be paid in Accordance with your Expertice. If you call a painter would you expect him to do it for free, well its no different than being a Paintball Refaree.

I hope you understand that I don't want to anger anyone with this post but you guys who ref need to have respect from the field owners and promoters as well as the players.

Semper Fi
All the Best
GBA&Marine Corps :heart: :usa:
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   tactical_Sniper 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tacical_A5

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:01 AM

i'm only 20, but i do it for a hobby, not for the money. It all has it's pro's and con's tho. one week you can have an excellent group and it makes u happy to be doing it. then other weeks like my group yesterday make u think why the hell do i do this ?
[

#20 User is offline   Meyou 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Meyou

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:30 AM

View Postkrush, on Oct 26 2006, 03:54 PM, said:

i duno how well you guys know your field owner (our home field owner is on the team, but this started long before tippinators ) but generaly doing anything that needs to be done around the field feels good, keeps everyone happy and gets the games going faster!

ref - c02/hpa fills - sales - gun mechanic - bunkers - website - field work

is that whats commonly expected of referees to begin with? or is it strictly on the field type of deal?

also its always awesome to be out there reffing and taking pictures to see some young gunz out there pulling the brave moves or also as a player myself, feel good knowing that players that need to be watched ARE being watched!

We do a bit more than that at the field I ref. After the day is over, we walk the fields picking up rental equipment players have tossed away without a thought, and then spend 2-3 hours cleaning everything.

But we also get paid quite well for it, £50 before tax (About $100) Which is actually more than I earn per day in my gov job!
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Tenacious Needs YOU! | WDR
Aspie 'Baller

#21 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ambush_alpha67

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

ya we do all that to... and when we have a group stay over like we did 3 or 4 months ago.... the job dosent stop after we get cleaned up from night play. then we walk the grounds and hang out with the players and make sure they dont do anything stupid. and as for what i get... i keep that to myself. but ill just say that its a good ammount that i wouldent get if i worked at mcdonalds or something. its good enough to last me through the week... and that inclouds me going to a wing night( im a big boy) and just doing stuff around town.
~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
NJ TITANS!!! HOW WE ROLLL!!!! SOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH SSSIIIDDDEEE!!!!
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#22 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:00 PM

Reffing can be very satisfying. I am 25 and I ref at my home team from time to time. Usually it is on Sunday's when the ref are busy with team practices and a larger than expected crowd showed up. Usually when that happens it is mostly newer players. If the field owner hasn't given them the safety breif yet I do so. If he has I remind them of the importance of goggles and barrel blocking devices. It can be stressfull with having the constently remind them about the goggles and barrel blocking devices, but in the end it is rewarding knowing you helped introduce new players to the sport.

#23 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:36 AM

I love to ref. It's a great feeling to know that you're helping other players have a safe and fun time. Several occasions have come that people saw us volunteer refs and decided they will come back to the field only when we did, because the in-house refs sucked.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#24 User is offline   Ninjeff 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:25 PM

View PostSirRod, on Nov 25 2006, 10:05 AM, said:

Hey everyone:
I have been playing for 21 years started at Sneeds Island in Palmetto, Fl. at Island Adventure Paintball.

I have been a Ref/Judge for all that time as well as a player.

Im now 53 years old, and would not mind helping out at a field were no money is changing hands.

But if its a Pay for Play then I want to be paid for my services.

I reciently was asked to Ref a major end of the year scenreio game, where the proceeds from that game would total over $150,000.00 profit.

I am a NPPL PRO REF. thats National Profesional Paintball League Profesional Refarees Orginazation.

Im Profesional at what I do, and expect to be paid for that Experance and Expertice I bring to this event.

Well they only wanted to pay me $50.00 a day and $10.00 for meals, so thats $60.00 per day for 2 days total of $120.00. I live 3 hours away and Gas would cost me at the least $60.00 for the round trip.

Now as much as I love Paintball and the event promoters I had to turn them down at that price. Ive known them for almost as long as Ive been playing and have attended and Refed there events many times.

Just a little back ground I have been on the only 2 time Fla. State Championchip 10 man team. I have been a Ref at major Tournaments and Scenerios, I can work on almost any marker made, Fill your Co2 tanks and am a Nurse, with many years of experance with first aid.

I will not work for Major Paintball Scenerio promoters for less than $100.00 a day nor for NPPL or PSP or any other Promoters for less than that. And thats still Cheep!

Being a Ref is HARD WORK, and If your doing it for a non profit field for free thats ok, I love nurturing new players and hate anyone calling them NEWBEES. Thats a darogatory name I feel.

If your doing it for a Major Promotor for free or for play time your only hurting the rest of us who would make a small amount of money for our services.

I love being a Ref and I love paintball, I feel God our Heavenly Father gave paintball for my enjoyment, as well as all the rest of you and being a good influance for new and older players is a must.

Being a Ref is tough because of all the degenerate's who play and cuss and cheat, bend the rules, steel other players stuff,and cause Discord with the flow of games being hot heads.

Reffs Get Paid for your services! you have earned the right to be a Ref and you should be paid in Accordance with your Expertice. If you call a painter would you expect him to do it for free, well its no different than being a Paintball Refaree.

I hope you understand that I don't want to anger anyone with this post but you guys who ref need to have respect from the field owners and promoters as well as the players.

Semper Fi
All the Best
GBA&Marine Corps :dodgy: :usa:

I see your point, and it was well worded. Still, for me, when i was playing every weekend some years ago (ive just gotten back into the sport) i enjoyed reffing just as much as playing. I like helping out the field owner, as he (and his wife) became a good friends over the years. It also allowed me to take more pride in the field my team called home, and more pride in myself, as a player. Money, for me, was a commodity not as valuable as helping the game, and foster the good word of the sport with new players. I dont blame you for wanting to get paid...not at all. But i enjoy the sport, and thats enough payment for me.
IPB Image

#25 User is offline   cjottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:47 PM

I was asked to ref recently by the assistant manager at my regular field.
Reffing isn't about money for me - I'm 31 and have a day job. They insist on paying though.

I ref the way I'd want a ref to be on my field - running around more than the players, in people's faces, doing paint checks, making sure people put on a barrel socks before they leave and so on.

I hope some of that rubs off on the younger refs - we have a few who are still quite young and they are "less active" on the field.

To answer your question about satisfaction: yes! I find it immensely satisfying to give something back to the game.

I *sometimes* feel like I'm missing the playing aspect but it's quickly made up by the fact that I can move like a ghost around the field, waving a garbage can lid. I get to see EVERYTHING - where people are hiding, who's sneaking around, what plans people are hatching. It's like being omnipotent, as far as paintball is concerned.

I have to believe an ACTIVE ref who's really doing their job well will have as much fun as the players.

This post has been edited by C.J.: 22 January 2007 - 05:39 PM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users